‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the first "proper" book my 6 year old daughter read., 20 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
This is the first "proper" book my 6 year old daughter read. She could not put it down and throughly enjoyed it. She is now hooked on Mr Majeika stories and is now on her third. Anything that encourages a child to read is surely worth 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!, 26 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
We loved Mr Majeika because we think it is suitable for children in Year 4 as it is fun, fascinating, excellent and superdupa!
We particularly found it funny when Hamish scared the lady dentist. It made us all laugh.
It was a good book to read in class, because it is set in school, so we could really imagine what it would be like to be in the story.
We would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read magical stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
This was my favourite book when i was little after being read over and over again. Today I was delighted when i looked in a box of old books and Mr majeika was on top. I couldnt resist reading it again.
Even now i find this book charming, amusing and magical.
Its great for young readers(5/6)who enjoy reading, due to its simplistic style, but unlike a lot of books for this age, its a bit longer, so you can feel proud of yourself when you finish the book(although finishing the book now wasnt as much of an acheivement as it was when i was little)
I would recommend this book to all young children,especially bookworms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for 6 year olds, 29 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
It is sometimes difficult to find books that can both be read aloud to your child and also read (and understood) independently by the child. This book is great for that. It is humorous and imaginative (and pre dates Harry Potter!) and my 6 year old (a good reader) loved it. A good introduction to 'tucking up with a good book'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Easy to Read, 16 Mar. 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
I am currently volunteering in school and looking for interesting, funny books that will grip children who have just moved away from reading picture books but who are not yet ready for full on novels yet. Mr. Majeika is perfect in this respect. It's not too long. It still has some illustrations, and it is funny. Mr. Majeika is an ex wizard who takes a job as a school teacher because there really isn't that much call for wizards any more in modern life. He finds however, that when he is teaching class 3, that his wizarding skills come in very handy on more than one occasion, especially when he is dealing with the class naughty boy, Hamish Bigmore. A lovely book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Max Jenkinson age 11, 8 April 2012
The basic story.
Who's heard of a fun school well St Barty's Primary School was the most boring of the lot, at least until class three's new teacher, Mr Majeika, flew through the open window and crash landed in the middle of the room. Yes this was going to be a different kind of term for class three this year. But let's hope Hamish Bigmore doesn't scare him away like last term's replacement teacher.
After the ordeal with Hamish's ruler he was using to prod Melanie, who cries about anything possible and some things not, turned into a snake, class three started to suspect something was wrong about Mr Majeika first he changed children's pack lunches in to the food of their choice in this case chips and now a ruler being changed into a snake with just a flick of a finger.

Ways to improve...
I personally think as I read big and detailed books like Eragon or Lord of the Rings I'd like it to be a bit more detailed within the context of the story. As without the pictures I'd find it quite hard to imagine the classroom they are in or the carpet Mr Majeika was on.
The things I liked...
Overall I enjoyed the humour and imagination Humphrey had while writing this brilliant book. I particularly enjoyed the partially weird description of the class mates but really, every class has a slightly mardy member and/or a class clown or annoyance and even some twins!!! Just because it may not have an awful lot of pages the author managed to create a gripping story which would allow a younger child to feel a sense of achievement once completed. This is what I admire about the author's style of writing and in return this would encourage young readers to continue on their epic journey of words.
Age rate: I'd say it would be all ages from seven to seventy as I expected to not really enjoy this but as I have mentioned I really enjoyed it!!!
Time to read: 5th of April
Comment: Overall I'd say that it was a `real page turner'

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
Looks a good buy for a child, big type with illustrations. I'm sure it will be a success and will encourage my 6 year old to read. EW

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bedtime reading!, 15 April 2008
J. Clark "mumtoellie" (York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
My daughter received this book as an Easter present from her Godmother, and it instantly appeared to a 6 year olds sense of fun and adventure. We normally do 'a chapter a night' but ended up getting through this book in double quick time as it was such fun and so lovely to read. We are now building a collection of other Majeika stories to sit alongside our Jeremy Strong books!

4.0 out of 5 stars my 6 year old loves these stories, 8 Jun. 2009
A. Homer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Audio CD)
A superb recording of these books. They are ideal for all KS1 children. My daughter loves listening to the CD at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab for bedtime story, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Mr Majeika (Paperback)
i bought this recently after trying to think of new books to read to my 5 year old at bedtime- we've read some harry potter's but they are quickly becoming quite dark (too dark for last thing at night for a 5 yr old!!) and knowing he likes magic, remembered this from my childhood. Will definitely be buying more from this series. Lovely book, well written, just enough excitement and humor.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›