Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 23 March 2001
This book was a great book but it didn't have a very exiting subject. You would never think of something like this yourself so it shows that the author-Anne Fine, has a wonderfull imagination. We read flour babies as a class and we all enjoyed it. After we had read most of the book we did a project on flour babies. It was rreally annoying having to take it everywhere with me so I can see how everyone in the book felt. We had to have a baloon as a head and an egg in the middle of all the flour so it was really hard. I was relieved when the project was over. The worst part was when we had to right a diary of the days we had had with it. On of my diary entries was this-Day 1 I thought that this experiment on flour babies whould be quite fun at the start but once I had had a day with it it started to get on my nerves. I had to bring it to Hever castle tomorrow and I knew that it would not be very fun. We had to take these stupid things everywhere. In between classes we have to drop everything to open a door!
Overall I think that this is a great book and I would recommend it.
on 15 May 2002
The book is about a boy called Simon Martin. He is not very bright. He is in a class called 4c which is a class for the bads and the sads.They are involved in a project called flour babies. Which involves them having to look after a bag of flour. They had to treat it like a real life baby. This brought out the sensitive side of Simon. Most of the book is about Simon and his friends and the shenanigans they get up to and Simon's feeling about his father leaving him when he was little. Simon's feelings and emotions all come out when he had to hand his flour baby in. We saw Simon turn from class bully, to class wimp, to class hero. In the end Simon had his moment of glory where we saw him break rules and Mr Cartwright loses his authority as a teacher toward Simon. when Simon breaks the rules Mr Cartwright storms off to find simon when he sees him as a figure of white he let him by with respect.
by Danny Kelleher and Aden Lyman
on 17 June 2004
Reading Flour Babies was really fun, espacialy where we got to make our own ones. We all got a chance to read at lest a page. We all enjoiyd the part where our teacher was making funny acents. I'm sure who ever reads this book will enjoiy it. There were some sad bits too, but if there wasn't the book would get a bit boaring. We're getting to the end of the story now and i'm really excited. can't wait to finish the book.
on 28 May 2008
Personally I think Flour Babies was proably one of the worst books by Anne Fine. I don't really understand what the main point of the book actually is. When I saw the play I thought it was great and thought the book would be the same but obviously I was wrong. I never really got into the book as I read more of the book.
The main character is Simon Martin. He is the new boy in 4c,the worst class in the school. When he and his class are sent home with these baby type things made with ''flour'' in it. As he looks after his flour baby,memories for his past start flooding in.He asks so many questions about his young life.I won't give any more detail away.
I would recommend it for teenagers from ages 13-15.
When I read this book I was really disappointed with Anne Fine as I have read some of her other books which were great.
This is what I think about Flour Babies.
What do you think?
on 14 January 2016
Good read,
on 13 January 2016
good book
on 1 November 2014
An amazing book, full of emotion, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought was an amazing book and needs to be read by everyone.

By a 10 year old boy
on 13 April 2000
This is such a cool book it really made me laugh and it had a hidden meaning but I won't spoil it and tell you what that is! Read it and find out
on 2 January 2009
I read "flour babies" a few years ago and loved it. It's a really sweet book that adults will enjoy whizzing through in a few spare hours.
on 18 March 2007
Personally I think Flour Babies was a rather dull and dreary read. I couldn't wait to read on, to finish the book.

The characters were very funny, creative and unique, the characters were supposed to be very stereotypical however many of them changed. In my oppinion the characters were the glue that stuck the book together.

The book is abput a young boy of twelve and his journey to find his Dad. It is written in third person narrative and is set mostly in a school.

In some places chapters would go ona and on to find out one point and would become boring.

The story forces you to think not to stereotype because most of the time the person is completeley different. The book ends on a high note but just doesn't add up to the point of the book.

When Mr.Cartright sets the flour babies project. Simon thinks, just as any normal 12 year old boy would, its rubbish but he soon realises without knowing. That he is his own Dad through the project.

The idea for the story was great but I think was written in a manner that could have improved. The story should have had more events happening and was perhaps too short.