5.0 out of 5 stars Eoin Colfer reaches new heights!
Published on 12 Jan. 2008 by P. Saunders

2.0 out of 5 stars Putdownable and boring
I should like this book, but something about it just makes it so hard to follow without just completely losing focus. It felt like a chore finishing. I love all of Colfers books, Artemis Fowl, Wish List, W.A.R.P (except for book 3, the latest) but this one just didn't work :(
Published 25 days ago by RandomAppReview

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eoin Colfer reaches new heights!, 12 Jan. 2008
P. Saunders "Mr Beacan" (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading Airman, and I must say, what a read! Colfer has proved that he is more than the flippant humour of Artemis Fowl, though he maintains the boyish appeal in this one. It is a thrilling, enjoyable book, with influences of Northern Lights, Jules Verne and Dumas abound; though since this story has an entirely original setting, there is a good smattering of what we might now call "Colfer" within!

Well done to him, and may this book enjoy the success it deserves!

4.0 out of 5 stars The boy who could fly, 15 Feb. 2008
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
Eoin Colfer is one of my favorite authors when it comes to children's books (make that young adult books) and I love the Artemis Fowl series and Half Moon Investigations. Airman was obviously and instant buy for me no matter what it was about. There's no magic or goblins in this one but there is a lot of fun and invention to be had with an alternate Irish history.

The books takes place in the Saltee Islands, which are actually part of Ireland, but are a separate country in book thanks to independence gained through a diamond mine fortune. The islands are a beacon of modern technology (the book is set in the 1880s) thanks to a benevolent king, a genius scientist and imaginative child named Conor. But when an evil Royal Guard assassinates the king he sets up Conor to take the fall and spend the rest of his life on the island's hellhole prison.

From this point on, the book takes a sort of Count of Monte Cristo twist with Conor assuming a new identity, learning all he can about being a formidable good guy and planning an elaborate escape through the use of manned flight.

It's very fasted-paced and you'll be unable to put the book down. Colfer's love of the Irish countryside and history is obvious once again, I can just imagine him out for a stroll deciding to use some enchanting little place he has discovered. The door is left open for a sequel of sorts, but I think it's just more of a deliberately ambiguous ending since tying up all loose ends would involve too much exposition. My second favorite non-Artemis Fowl book next to Half Moon Investigations.

4.0 out of 5 stars The boy who could fly, 15 Feb. 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars rip-roaring lift off for new Dumas, 8 May 2008
Amanda Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
Much as we love the Artemis Fowl books, this is something finer. Conor Broekhardt is born in the air (readers who love this kind of thing should also look out for Kenneth Oppel's AIRBORN and SKYBREAKER, which have a similar premise)to his proud youg parents. At first sickeningly successful - he's brilliant at everything, including fencing, is made a knight at about 10 after rescuing the Princess of the Saltee Islands where his father is captain of the King's Sharpshooters - it all takes a wonderfully dark turn when the King is assasinated. Conor is set up to take the blame, believed dead and taken in an iron mask to Little Saltee where prisoners spend their lives digging for diamonds.

Here both his scientific mind and his prowess with a blade are life-saving. How he gets even hardened criminals on his side, gathers a fortune and escapes is too good to give away, but there is a wonderful buouyancy and sense of fun about these books which I don't believe any boy of 11+ could resist. We'd like a sequel please Mr Colfer!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fabulous book!, 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
I read Airman immediately after reading the latest Artemis Fowl book. I love Eoin Colfer and was once again amazed by his storytelling ability. The feel of the book is different from Artemis Fowl, as well as his other wonderful book The Wish List - it felt like an old classic - like Treasure Island or The Three Musketeers - although it was also completely accessible to a modern audience. With characters spanning the whole spectrum from very noble to very evil while still being believable, and exciting action and descriptions. I hope they make it into a movie - it think it would translate very well to the big screen

4.0 out of 5 stars Colfer in history, 1 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
The story of Conor Broekhart brings a new twist to the history of flight. Colfer brings the excitement of discovery, the tears of betrayal and hope of redemption to life with this book. I liked Conor's stay on Little Saltee best. I guess it was Conor's ability to keep hoping that impressed me the most.

I've liked all of his books thus far, and this book is no exception to that rule. Colfer's style of writing is highly readable and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Put It Down, 26 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Airman (Hardcover)
Another brillent book from Eoin Colfer. A fast action book that may appeal to an older audience. A historical based story it holds the reader interested all the time, with lots of twists and turns that will make it hard for you to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Nov. 2011
Alaba ":)" (Lagos, Nigeria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airman (Paperback)
First, with all reviews I must stress it is in my opinion, of course. I would say this book is brilliant! , with an increcibly brilliant hero as well. I bought this book because I read an Artemis Fowl novel a couple of years back and while browsing through a boookstore I saw this book by the same author in a 3 for £5 deal. It was a most well judged buy! I wouldn't want to tell you the story to spoil it for you but I can just say go out, pic it up and read it! You shouldn't be disappointed if you were wondering if the authour is as good across different novels. It isn't an Artemis Fowl kind of book, but you might even prefer this, depending on taste. So go get a copy now! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Airman (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of the Artemis Foul books to my 9 year old (blind) son and we both loved the series. With Airman, Colfer has, as ever; held captive our interest in the story and its characters. We're not finished reading it yet but we are enjoying every bit of it. I think that Eoin Colfer, as a writer, occupies that rare space between childhood and teens exceptionally well. Having a smart, blind character in the book is an added inspirational bonus to me and my smart, inspirational blind son. Please don't stop writing books for intelligent kids!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unremarkable yet engaging, 6 Sept. 2011
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Airman (Paperback)
There's a strong feeling of familiarity in Airman; the plot following a boy on the run who must learn who he is and whom he can be is a fantasy staple. Colfer's easy going narrative style creates a feel-good vibe, even though the circumstances remain fairly dire throughout. The characters are well defined, each aide to the 'Airman' memorable and serving a purpose to the plot. Airman's arc allows for further adventures in the alternative history created and although it is not particularly original in content, it remains a good read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›