5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
An emotionally charged book about the ups and downs of trying for a baby and infertility. This book had me laughing and crying all at once.
All Emma wants is a baby but she has 'unexplained infertility'. She goes to great lengths to get a baby..her life is turned upside down.
Published on 23 Sept. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing!
Enjoyed the book, very easy reading but felt that it concentrated too much on her friends lifes than her own when all I was interested was in her and her baby trail!! . Also very dissapointed in the ending. But did leave me wanting more!!
Published on 28 Nov. 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 23 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
A great read, especially when faced with trying for a baby and infertility. You find yourself having a great empathy with Emma and James. The more you read the more you hope the treatments work for Emma.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 8 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This book is a great read for all women (and men) who have decided to try to have a baby. I would equally recommend it to all friends & relatives of people having trouble conceiving as it really helps to understand in a realistic way what infertile couple go through each month.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!!, 18 Oct. 2004
cheryl (Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I recommend this book to anyone who has gone down the road of Fertility Treatment, as I have. The book serves to add a great humour to an extremely difficult situation. The heroine of the book is extremely warm and real and I was rooting for her even when she was having the worse possible mood swing. Parts of the book are laugh out loud hysterical, and other times you want to give the heroine a big hug!!
This book should be available in the waiting room of every fertility clinic.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB, 28 July 2005
By A Customer
A fab read, and one that makes you realise, if in the same boat, that you aren't alone or mad - but this is the normal route for anyone in this abnormal situation. Couldn't put it down and felt like it was being written about me - so very re-assuring to know others feel the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!, 9 Mar. 2006
This is an excellent book that I could not put down. I have passed it around friends and family who also love it. A fantastic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The baby trail isn't always paved in gold..., 19 April 2007
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
'THE BABY TRAIL'is about a woman who drives herself, husband, friends and family crazy when her plan to conceive isn't as easy as she'd originally imagined. In an impressive debut Sinead Moriarty deilvers a serious subject matter that many women today face and handels it with dignity, wit and compassion.

I was lucky enough to have been lent this book by a friend who also raved about it and I cannot recommend it enough whether you are in the same boat as Emma or not. I certianly have never had any problems with fertility, however, I could completely relate to what Emma was going through and I am sure that in her shoes I would feel exactly the same way. Granted a some of her behavior may have been over the top (but this is supposed to be a bit funny) however, I thought most was pretty spot on and for those who found Emma annoying have probably never been a hormonal wreck before! 5 Stars for 'THE BABY TRAIL' and Sinead Moriarty and I cannot wait for my copy of the sequel to arive in the mail!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 22 Jun. 2006
Charlotte (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This book was brilliant! It was funny yet really hit home! I was gutted at the ending as i just wanted it know what happened next... until i found out she had done a sequal! A must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive, emotionally-charged subject handled with compassion and wit, 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Baby Trail: Emma and James, Novel 1 (Kindle Edition)
The title of The Baby Trail kind of says it all – this is a book about the trials and tribulations of a couple trying to get pregnant. It’s a very easy read – I think I finished it in two days – and handles a sensitive subject with humour and sometimes a little irreverence. It’s also the start of a series, I realised at the end, and did leave me thinking I’d like to read more.

The central character is Emma Hamilton, and I have to admit that I really didn’t like her at first. She basically wakes up one New Year’s and decides she wants a baby – a decision that doesn’t seem to be based on very much and that is undermined by her immature and selfish approach to life. I wasn’t really convinced by her overnight transformation into a woman obsessed with conceiving, and I found her pretty annoying to be honest. I also didn’t like the way she treated her husband, James – long before she has the excuse of raging hormones and justifiable emotional stress, she is awful to him. This just gave me even more reason to doubt their readiness to become parents and, frankly, there were periods when I was hoping that they wouldn’t conceive, for the sake of the potential child.

Having said all of that, as Emma and James’ story develops, it does tug on the heartstrings. As the months go by and Emma takes one negative pregnancy test after another, it’s hard not to feel bad for her. As she watches her friends conceive seemingly effortlessly whilst she undergoes inconclusive tests and invasive procedures, the layer of humour becomes a thinner and thinner mask for a fairly heartbreaking situation. Emma may be flawed and annoying, but I think any reader – particularly female readers – will feel her desperation and hopelessness.

A funny thing about The Baby Trail: for the first third of the book (or maybe more), I thought I was reading an autobiography. It was only when I glanced at the author’s name at one point that I realised this wasn’t the case – although I think that Sinead Moriarty has drawn on some of her own experiences in writing it. The fact that I thought it was an entirely true story, though, is testament to both the characterisation and the narrative. There’s something about Emma’s voice that rings very true – she’s a larger than life character in many ways, but a believable and three-dimensional character nonetheless. James, too, leaps off the page and is no caricatured ‘male lead’.

Sinead Moriarty is an author to watch, I think, as she takes on a sensitive and emotionally-charged subject with a careful balance of compassion and wit – perhaps something that’s achievable only if you have experienced the ‘baby trail’ first-hand. I will almost certainly be reading the sequel and would recommend The Baby Trail, perhaps mostly to female readers although I think it would offer men an enlightening perspective on how all-consuming the desire to be a mother can be, or become, in a woman and how emotionally draining it can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning, 1 Sept. 2010
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Baby Trail is the first of Sinead Moriarty's trilogy about Emma and James Hamilton and the journey into parenthood.

Emma and James are in their thirties, are madly in love with each other, and are happily married. Despite interference and opinions from both their families. Now they want to continue on their journey and become parents. Emma thinks start having sex more kind of around the right time then 9 months later a baby. However for them it does not happen as nature intended and here starts the baby trail - trying to get to the ultimate goal.

Emma becomes fixated on this mission, and the book goes through the high and the lows of their relationship, Emma's hormones whilst on all the different treatments as well as the exploits in the main of Emma's family. Then Emma and James need to make a decision about the next stage in the process, which therefore leads into the next book, A Perfect Match.

Alongside this main theme are Emma's friend Lucy and Jess. Jess becomes pregnant very quickly again (much to Emma's annoyance) and Lucy suddenly thinks she might be left on the shelf, but a blind date with Donal, James friend and work colleague comes to the rescue. James rise as one of the best ruby coaches in Ireland starts in this book, and this is continued through all the three books it shows how him, Donal, Lucy and Emma are involved in each other's lives no matter what they are trying to achieve. In Donal's case trying to show he is not a caveman!

This book made me laugh and cry all at the same time. If anything it shows that trying for a baby is not easy, and that couples go through so much to get what they want trying many different options. A well written book, yes in the chick lit genre but there is something about the Irish humour that makes it so much more as well. The author must either have very good firsthand experience or have thoroughly researched the subject, whichever then I commend her for making a subject accessible to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Sept. 2009
Sophia DaRosa (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
First I would like to shoot down one of the other people who reviews this book and gives it 2 stars - She claims the story is unrealistic as there is no possible way to go through what Emma Hamilton does but, sorry to disagree, it is very possible to have a 30day30 day cycle period, ovulate and then suddently not ovulate, even on clomid. How do I know? Because I did. I have PCOS, a regular 30day period and sometimes no ovulation. I have 2 children, a 4 year old daughter and an 11 month old son. It took 9 months to conceive my daughter, regular periods all the way. Now with my son, it took 3 years. I suddently stopped ovulating although I still had my period. I started on clomid but still didnt ovulate. Just as we had given up and decided to go for adoption, after 2 years of hard fighting, tears, tests and 8 months of no periods, I found out I had become pregnant new years eve 2007. I gave birth to my son on his duedate the 7th october 2008.

I loved this book. I first read it as I was pregnant with my eldest and I loved it. It made me laugh and I couldnt put it down. Likewise I couldnt wait to read the sequels which I find equally good. It shows it isnt always as easy as many people think to conceive a child and to behonest, it certainly depicted me very well in the naïvety and craziness that consumed me during our initial babymaking. I felt Emmas pains and joys as you follow her through her journey of family planning.

I absolutely loved it and I know exactly how Emma feels. Its a great read.

The Baby Trail: Emma and James, Novel 1