4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping contemporary yachting thriller
Published on 11 Feb. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars OK Cornwell
Bernard is a keen sailor and I have read all his books on sailing. They are ok, have some excitement but are not a patch on his historical stuff.
If you like sailing and want to read everything he has ever written then give this a go. These 2 reasons are why I bought my copies
Published on 23 Sept. 2008 by CN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars OK Cornwell, 23 Sept. 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping contemporary yachting thriller, 11 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Wildtrack (Mass Market Paperback)
In the same vein as his other yachting adventures, this novel is gripping right from the start. Set more on land than at sea the characters are sharply portrayed and, although you don't feel you really get to know them, with all the action there's barely time. The sailing and seafaring action is described, as usual, beautifully and you feel as though you're really there. I needed to sit down and recover afterwards!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 13 Jan. 2012
Steven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wildtrack (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read this twice and will pick it up again.The author's passion for sailing and a real love of the area shine through without being too heavy on us land lubbers! Having said that, most of the novel takes place on land. I found the characters colourful and well rounded while the plot was evenly paced and without contrivance. Nick Breakspear is an everyman hero, beaten and at odds with his position in society, used and disrespected by all around him. There are many bad people, all wanting a piece of the hero, there's an obvious bad guy, a bit of comedic relief and couple of love interests too!

Thrillers often hang the plot on the military skills of their leading hero, not so here, Nick's a real person and has very real challenges, he's desperate to repair his boat and get out to sea but his is return from War is dashed by a scheming ex wife, a father in jail and media mogul hell bent on using Nick's story for his own ends.

All in all, this is a interesting yarn with a lively narrative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Wildtrack (Kindle Edition)
A book about sailing and boats which are not usually my interest, but as I am a big fan of Bernard Cornwell's historical novels. I thought Id give this one a chance.
I quite liked it and finished it over a weekend

The hero of the book, Captain Nick Sandman wounded in the Falklands War and told he will never walk again by doctors is a stubborn man, and hi sonly wish is to sail his boat Sycorax to New Zealand. The boat is impounded and a well known wealthy media mogul, Tony Bannister, wants to make a film of Nick's story.
\
Soon he comes up against an Arab American billionaire , Kassoluli, who wants to destroy Bannister, who he believes killed his daughter
Good plot, good characterization, especially of Nick and his love interest Angela, and well paced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Bernard Cornwell, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Wildtrack (Paperback)
Very good read. Not usually my kind of book. I'm usually into historical fiction which this author normally does buy I must say I enjoyed it all the same. Can't go wrong with Bernard!

5.0 out of 5 stars wildtrack - best in fleet, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Wildtrack (Kindle Edition)
Wildtrack is the best of Bernard Cornwell's sailing novels, I would say. This one has a strong sense of style and mood. I was hooked by the first steps of our damaged hero on page one as he limped out of hospital. I wrote my own first novel, Waypoint (a sailing thriller on a different theme), in reaction to it.
It is by the far the most absorbing of the sailing stories. I think I read that he wasn't planning any more sea-based thrillers because he enjoys Sharpe and historical fiction so much. A shame. I would love another set of books like this one. Come on Bernard!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Wildtrack (Mass Market Paperback)
Hadn't read this Bernard Cornwell before although it is obviously a fairly early one. Exciting book, easy reading, enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dick Francis Goes to Sea, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Wildtrack (Kindle Edition)
All of Cornwell's thrillers remind me strongly of Dick Francis - the same basic theme (Francis - Horse Racing; Cornwell: Sailing). The same nearly-indestructible hero who can survive more physical damage than us normal mortals. The same plot ideas that require a small suspension of likelihood.

Having said that, I enjoyed all of this collection and read avidly. Sailing is much more my thing than the Gee Gees too! Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Track By Bernard Cornwell, 2 Aug. 2010
Tone: "Historical Fad" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildtrack (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent book/story. I enjoyed the story, it held my concentration trying to guess Who did it.

5.0 out of 5 stars wildtrack, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Wildtrack (Hardcover)
my husband is very pleased with this book.its in very good condition. well he just loves reading bernard cornwell books. i dont read them but am trying to collect all the older ones for him

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›