5.0 out of 5 stars Little Miracles
Published on 6 Jun. 2010 by Leah Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the end??
Published on 25 Sept. 2011 by Baloo from Esher Surrey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Miracles, 6 Jun. 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
When Julia Fearon, her boyfriend Charlie and their son Haydn, go to Malaga to meet Charlie's family, Julia is thrilled at the prospect. Her optimism is short-lived when it turns out Charlie's family are incredibly religious and they're pressurising Julia about her upcoming wedding to Charlie.Trouble is, Julia has a secret that could ruin her future. Then tragedy strikes: after an argument with Charlie's abuela, Julia decides to take Haydn to the beach. There, Haydn disappears. Julia is frantic trying to find her son whereas Charlie loses himself in his work to help him get through his tragedy. The question is: Is Haydn alive or is Julia just struggling to come to terms with Haydn's death?

Little Miracles is told in alternating first person chapters between Julia and Charlie and that's an interesting tack for Giselle to take. If there's to be more than one main character in a book, authors generally go third-person, but I thought Giselle alternated her chapters well between the two and I thought the first-person narrative allowed us to really see what was going on in the heads of Julia and Charlie.

I loved Julia straight away. I could totally understand why she felt ostracised with everything going on all around her in Malaga. I did wish that she'd told Charlie and Charlie's family sooner about her secret but bar that, I thought Julia was a great character. Her reaction to her son's disappearance was one I would expect; Giselle wrote about the pain of a mother fabulously well. I was right there at that beach with Julia when she realised Haydn was missing and I never left her side in her bid to discover the truth. I could also see Charlie's point of view. Yes, it seemed as if he got over the whole thing incredibly quickly but the contrast between the two parents was done really well so I could perfectly understand Charlie throwing himself into his work to try and get over it all. I could see both points of view and didn't agree or disagree with either, as far as I'm concerned there was no wrong way to get over the loss/disappearance of a child. The difference of opinion about Haydn's alleged disappearance only added to the book, giving it an extra element.

While Charlie's family were a bit too full-on I did like them. Particularly Charlie's abuela (grandmother). I thought she had hidden depths and I thought she was an incredibly sweet person. I was incredibly sad to learn of her illness. I also quite liked Eva and Roberto, Charlie's brother and sister-in-law. They seemed like genuine people but I could see why Julia felt left out and overwhelmed by everything. Particularly after Haydn's disappearance. There's also some hidden depths to our main characters, Julie and Charlie. Both were told things about their past that wasn't particularly true as we found out through-out the book.

When I was reading this book I had a feeling of "I've heard this somewhere before" and after going on Sky News, I was reminded of what it was: the Madeline McCann disappearance. It's not that they're similar in the way the two children disappeared but they are alike. In both cases, the feeling is that the parents will never find out what happened to their children.

Finally, I have to mention the ending. It's quite ambiguous and it could drive some people insane: why read 400+ pages of a book and have that kind of ending? Yes, I got a flickering feeling of annoyance but thinking about it, it kind of works. I'm incredibly curious and, after I finish writing this, I plan to find the authors site and ask her about the ending and why she wrote that, but overall it kind of works. It finishes the book (albeit with a few question marks) but it also potentially paves the way for a sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome change, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
A powerful and well-written novel about a young couple whose toddler son goes missing, presumed drowned. It's no spoiler to say that, since it's on both the front cover and the blurb at the back. The story is about how the couple, Julia and Charlie, deal with their loss in their different ways, after the initial devastated grief.

It's narrated alternately by Julia and Charlie, and mainly in the present tense. This works well, since it enables us to see each viewpoint from a personal perspective. The past unfolds for Julia during her investigations and questions, so we learn about her childhood as she discovers more about herself and her deepest needs.

I found it hard to put down once I had started. Surprisingly I didn't find it as emotional as I expected, although I was certainly tense, wondering what the outcome would be. And - without giving anything away - I found the inconclusive ending rather disappointing. I would have liked at least one more paragraph.

Overall,I thought it was excellent. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very eloquent novel that will tug at your heart strings., 30 July 2014
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
Read this on the plane on the way to Hong Kong recently, as Giselle Green had kindly sent me the sequel 'Finding You'. I know the novels are written so that they stand alone but I was interested enough to want to read this one first. Personally I felt that having read 'Little Miracles'that I had more empathy with the characters thereby making the sequel more meaningful for me. A very eloquent novel that will tug at your heart strings, the inconclusive ending leaves you thinking and had me immediately reading the sequel.

The protagonists of the story are Julia and Charlie a couple whose young son Haydn goes missing on a beach in Spain and is assumed drowned. After the initial devastation and grief the couple deal with their loss in very different ways. The story is narrated alternately by Julia and Charlie, giving the reader the opportunity to see each viewpoint from the alternative perspectives. Julia has a strong need for answers, which I found quite understandable despite everyone including her husband urging her to move on. It was harder to empathise with Charlie and in some ways his attitude irritated me. He did have a lot of problems on his mind not just his missing son, but his and Julia's relationship with each other and his Spanish based family, plus his highly demanding job. It is not possible to go into more detail without spoiling the novel for those yet to read, so I urge you to do so if you are a fan of contemporary fiction.

Giselle Green is an author that I wish I had discovered way back in 2008, when her her first novel Pandora's Box was first published. So many books and so little time meant that unfortunately I did not read it until a few months ago! Making up for lost time now I am catching up and enjoying her writing style, enough to say that I would now recommend her to anyone that appreciates stories with a moral basis. An author that is a good choice for Book Club selection as her novels evoke a whole range of subjects for discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
Having first read Giselle's "Pandora's Box" and thoroughly enjoying it, I was pretty sure I would enjoy "Little Miracles". I wasn't disappointed. This book is a fantastic read!!! I was hooked from the first page. The story is told by both Julia and Charlie and is centered around their little 2 year old boy - Hayden who goes missing in Charlie's hometown of Arenadeluna in Spain. Charlie is tied with work commitments and Julia struggles to feel second best. I am not going to spoil by telling anymore but would strongly recommend it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I raced through it!, 10 Nov. 2013
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
I haven't ever read a Giselle Green book before and this had been on my kindle for a while. I'll be honest and say I picked it up in the sale and thought the synopsis looked ok. It reminded me of Jodi Picoult.

The book centres around Charlie, his family and his fiancée, Julia. They go to Spain to see Charlie's family and tragedy strikes. It is no secret that their one year old child goes missing and the rest of the story is about how they deal with the fallout of that.

I found myself quickly drawn into the story and felt for Julia - she didn't fit into the strong Catholic world that Charlie's Spanish family live in and she struggled. On the day she takes one year old Hadyn to the beach, I felt uncomfortable with her getting the lift from Maria and then it all turns into a living nightmare. The aftermath of what happens is so frustrating and I could totally sympathise with Julia's need for answers despite everybody else moving on.

I found Charlie frustrating and very elusive. I couldn't understand the attraction towards him and he seemed to be harbouring a lot of secrets. I found myself struggling to warm to him.

The ending is very open and we don't get a definitive ending. It could be seen as annoying but it's certainly fitting for the story. Many parents don't get any answers about where their children are.

I really liked this book. I found it engaging and well written. I look forward to reading more of her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
A brilliant read. One cannot help remembering, on reading this book, the Madeleine McCann case, but this is definitely fiction and darn good fiction at that. The characters are well drawn and emotional dilemmas are dealt with beautifully - the hallmark of this author. I have also read Pandora's Box and A Sister's Gift by the same author and have found all three compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartrending and mending, 19 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
Author Veronica Zundel recently commented (Woman Alive September 2010) on the trend for modern novels to be recommended as heartbreaking and expressing a longing for fiction that was heartmending. Little Miracles is just such a book even though it deals with real pain and suffering: there can be few worse experiences than the loss of a child. It is also a beautifully written and emotionally satisfying book that promises redemption without giving trite answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 10 May 2010
H. Gannon (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
This was the first Giselle Green book I'd read and I immediately bought another one! It's well written and the storyline is well thought out. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Little Miracles (Paperback)
Having read Giselle Green's book 'A Sister's Gift' and loved it I was excited to read 'Little Miracles'. It certainly didn't disappoint! The story is extremely engaging and moving, giving a real insight into the life of parents unlucky enough to have their child disappear. The novel is written in the first person but switching between the two main characters - the parents - we explore all of both of their emotions. I would strongly recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the end??, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Little Miracles (Kindle Edition)
Having read other reviews, which said how good this book was, I was so shocked that this book had no end..... I had been like other readers gripped by this story and also spent four night into the small hours reading this strange sad story, but ALL books should have an end, be it good or bad! otherwise what's the point in reading it, I have so little time to indulge myself in my love of reading and like to have really enjoyed a book that i can recommend to friends, but even though I enjoyed it I was so dissatisfied at the lack of an end I have deleted the second book I had downloaded Pandora's box.I felt that if Little Miracle was an example of the way Giselle Green writes I would rather waste a few £'s on an unread book then hours of my time, just to be left wondering "Whats Happened in the end"... I felt like I'd just watched a good film only for the end to have been cut off.....

Little Miracles