5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising, brutal, selfish and moving
I have never had an eating disorder, never suffered the mental whirring of calculating calories, self-castigation for consumption and the wrenching anxiety from having inadvertently `lost control' and digested fats. I have nether been voluntarily sick following a meal, trying to expel the poisons that I have polluted my body with. But thanks to this book I feel I...
Published on 13 Feb 2007 by I. Curry

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest account on annorexia
This book is a real life story of graces battle with annorexia. Its honest and she tells it exactly how it is but by about half way through the book i was ready for it to end. Not only is the book too drawn out a repetative it is written in a bit of a mess. There are sections written as her now looking back then there are sections of her as she was them but speaking about...
Published on 3 July 2009 by Ms. J. Lovatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable and very readable...., 29 July 2007
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
Enjoyed perhaps not quite the right word, but I would definitely recommend everyone esp teens reading this book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Narcissism rules, 10 July 2006
An enthusiastic reader (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Eating disorder sufferers are not all the same. People have different characters and different underlying reasons for developing their problems with food.

This book describes one young woman's foray along the path of anorexia nervosa and in this new genre of mental illness survival memoirs, it is a worthy entrant.

I was chilled by the author's self obsession and contempt for those around her, particularly the unfortunate 'white coats', the psychiatrists and psychotherapists who attempted to work with her. Her lack of empathy and recognition of other people is often considered characteristic of this serious mental disease, but Ms Bowman seems eager to show us this unappealing characteristic. She believes that she controlled every step of her illness and her subsequent recovery. She is supreme in everything.

Her self hatred seems to be matched only by her hatred of others. The only shadowy figure who got an enthusiastic mention is the author's boyfriend. This is not a survivors account which includes much about friendship or the milk of human kindness.

A chilling account of a chilling illness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 26 May 2007
I read this book. My sister was borderline annorexic for years and I worked with young people with addictions for alot of years so do have some understanding. It is a very well written book, I can't deny that, but reading that it gives an insight into addictions is very misleading - no - it doesn't. If you work with heroin addicts from poverty stricken backgrounds, you understand addiction is far more complex than this. It isn't about a middle class, well educated young woman. My sister was ashamed of, and hid her annorexia- still does. I wasn't impressed.

Thin