5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and exciting read
Published on 14 Oct. 2001 by Roseanne (roseannemg@aol.com)

3.0 out of 5 stars Youth Fiction
socially aware, young adult fiction . Didactic rather than entertaining. Not voluntarily read, rather, required by teachers as educationally valuable.
Published on 2 April 2013 by T J MURRELL

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and exciting read, 14 Oct. 2001
I really enjoyed The Other Side of Truth because it was a seat-gripping nail-biting story. It has a sad beginning but don't let it stop you reading the book. Two children called Sade and Femi have to leave Nigeria and come to London by themselves and they face many problems. I think this is a great book for anybody over the age of 9 years to read - my Mum really enjoyed it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
A moving account of separation and political asylum told through the eyes of Sade and her brother Femi who as a result of their mother's untimely death must depart for London - alone. The text deals well with real issues (fear, loss, politcal trouble, asylum and racism) in a heart-warming and approachable manner. Naidoo traces the childrens journey in a well-documented fashion. Her novel speaks out on many levels, but above all she highlights the very notion that if "you keep quiet about the truth, injustice always wins". The novel becomes a clever blend of fact and fiction. I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages, since it is both fascinating, gripping and educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 30 Jan. 2011
Allhug (Newcatle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This is the first Young Adult book I've read since being a child myself and I admit that I'd forgotten just how powerful those stories can be.

This was a very well written tale of oppression told from the point of view of a 12 year old girl. I found it to be an authentic voice and that, along with the engaging plot made this an easy read. The messages of tolerance were the most powerful images for me - it's good to step into someone else's shoes sometimes to get a broader view of the world and I can see that the target audience for this book will have their minds opened.

I would have liked to have known more about life in Nigeria, the daily rhythms as well as the political situation, but I liked how the author drew parallels between bullying in british schools and political repression in opressed countries. As our schools become more and more multi-cultural the younger generation is going to put us to shame in terms of their empathy and understanding of the wider world around us.

This was, for me, a very enjoyable book with a solid purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story of a fight to tell the truth, 7 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This is a brilliant book, and I would reccomend anyone to read it. It is a gripping story, about refugees, and the danger of walking the London streets at night. This book takes you through the guilt trip after stealing, the meaning of friendship and the price of telling the truth. A perfect example of showing how one lie can lead to another. This book is very well written and I anticipate her next book. Even if you prefer famous novels, I advise you to read about this, it will change your veiw on lying and make you thankful we live in a democracy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Youth Fiction, 2 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational read, 19 April 2015
I couldn't put this book down. It reaches out to the reader, and I kept turning the pages to see what was going to happen next. It was great to read from the perspective of the children, as someone who works with EAL and vulnerable youngsters, and has given me an insight into their lives outside of being deposited at a new school in a strange country. It was interesting to know the background the children have escaped from. This should be on the school curriculum to educate children who share a class with students from different cultures to increase empathy and acceptance.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for young readers and mature ones alike, 5 Dec. 2012
I recommended this book to my daughter, having read good reviews on Amazon. I decided to read it first as she was finishing another book. It is a very well written book. It should appeal to everyone and I found the fact that the author was giving nicknames to some of the characters quite fun. It really feels like a child talking. It is also a great read for adults as this gives an opportunity to learn more about Nigeria and the fight for the freedom of the press.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Side of The Truth, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Kindle Edition)
I loved the book! There was always something to look forward after each chapter. This book talks about things that are happening within our world, migrants refugees etc . It taught me a couple of lessons, and overall had a great message and moral. I would absolutely recommend this book for children from the ages 12 and above! An absolutely moving story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 27 April 2015
This book is such an amazing read, from the beginning to the end, the adventures that the siblings go through is exciting. This book is a MUST for children and adults as it is a very entertaining read. I recommend this book to any child who is in year 4 upwards, if you are looking for a book that you can not put down, then this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Kindle Edition)
This can be read for people as old as 100 or as young as 2. This heart warming book will touch your heart and covers things that people need to know : asylum seekers, refugees, bullies and bullying, immigrants and of course - people who speak the truth and hate lying, though the Solaja family will do this alot in order to stay alive!

The Other Side of Truth