Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.03

on 12 April 2016
I am a huge fan of Alan Bennett's work and this was not a disappointment. It's tempting for people rewrite their own life stories with themselves as the hero of the hour - Bennett isn't overly kind to himself in Writing Home but his writing shows a great deal of empathy for others - and he has a wicked sense of humour.
on 2 January 2015
A very funny book. I was really sorry when I arrived at the end....
on 5 May 2016
Writing Home was an understatement. Full of interest regarding the plays etc. and much to my joy Lady in a Van and how it all came about.Page after page of interesting ancedotes some of which made me laugh out loud. A wonderful book that I shall probably read again in the future.
on 13 June 2011
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Bennett's style is conversational, and considered, most certainly not going for "reaction" from the reader. Quite unlike most other books, so reading it feels fresh and new. Observations are spot on and usually interesting and funny.
Alan Bennet is an observer of life: some of the more amusing parts of this work are overheard snippets, non-sequiturs and the idiosynchracies of living. He writes with poignancy and pathos - a unique voice that makes him one of life's treasures. The writing is clear, concise and never fails to interest, but while the character of the author is ever-present, the personality is more like a distant shadow. I enjoyed the writing enormously, but would have liked to think that I knew something of the writer from the writing: in this respect, Bennet is evasive, emerging only in moments of pique, slightly political, less than totally sympathetic, someone who really does not want to be bothered - certainly not wanting to be bothered by his celebrity. This makes him human and likeable, which is essential, I think, to enjoying his work, which is uniquely Bennet; only, there is something incomplete. Nevertheless, I can't imagine anyone failing to enjoy this book, which is long, varied and emminently readable.
on 7 May 2016
I love Alan Bennett's writing and honesty. This is a pick and mix so not every page of this book is the absolutely the best, but I am really enjoying it and would recommend anyone who appreciates great authors and a sense of humour and humanity to give delve in.
on 20 May 2016
Wonderful...redolent with evocative writing. Ideal for dipping into. Every page made me laugh or cry. Alan Bennett is clearly a very clever man who manages self-deprecation with enormous finesse. And goodness I wish I had had his life. What larks!
on 24 June 2016
Pure Alan Bennett, I am a huge fan of his work, and these diary entries give an insight into other aspects of his life, as well as background information about his more well known works, typical Bennett humour throughout, an enjoyable read.
on 12 May 2016
Brilliant writer; excellent view of life. Just got the feeling that I thought I could sense what was coming next in the plot. Perhaps that's a good quality in a writer. Well worth the read, though, nonetheless. Never disappointing.
on 6 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which is full of amusing anecdotes, along with some more serious ones ( visiting the war graves in Ypres for example ). Especially interesting if, like me you were also raised in Leeds.