4.0 out of 5 stars Like sitting at the feet of an imaginary favourite uncle...
Alan Bennett is a man of great humanity, who writes openly about closed lives in a way that feels very special. My gran used to shop at Bennett's father's shop, and I live across the river from Armley, where he grew up, so this episodic personal history has extra layers to it.
Yet there are plenty of layers for even the most casual reader - this could...
Published on 25 Jan 2006 by Simon Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
This was a good and amusing read, but with 800 pages was rather daunting. However it can be read in sections.
Published 18 months ago by Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and entertaining in turns, 10 Jan 2013
R. J. de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Writing Home (Hardcover)
Alan Bennet is an observer of life: some of the more amusing parts of this work are overheard snippets, non-sequiturs and the idiosynchracies of living. He writes with poignancy and pathos - a unique voice that makes him one of life's treasures. The writing is clear, concise and never fails to interest, but while the character of the author is ever-present, the personality is more like a distant shadow. I enjoyed the writing enormously, but would have liked to think that I knew something of the writer from the writing: in this respect, Bennet is evasive, emerging only in moments of pique, slightly political, less than totally sympathetic, someone who really does not want to be bothered - certainly not wanting to be bothered by his celebrity. This makes him human and likeable, which is essential, I think, to enjoying his work, which is uniquely Bennet; only, there is something incomplete. Nevertheless, I can't imagine anyone failing to enjoy this book, which is long, varied and emminently readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to brighten any bus journey, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Much as 'Untold Stories' which is the second volume, read arse about face by myself, mixes diary and prose, so too does this volume. Again it is for my taste a bit unweildy and gives the impression of having been padded out to justify it's publishing. Having said this Faber and Faber (the publisher) come in for some stick from Mr Bennett, so this observation could be wholly accurate. That said in any format Mr Bennett's works are a joy to read; personally I would have edited the non sequential diaries of 'Writing Home' and 'Untold Stories' into one volume, but of course, these books are not warts and all exposes, and Alan Bennett only treats us to the sanitised diary entries which he feels comfortable to share.

If you are a fan of Alan Bennett's wry observations and enjoy reading works which make you repeatedly smile, and in my case agree with, then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent condition., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Writing Home (Hardcover)
I've not read the plays yet but am looking forward to that time coming. Quality of the book is great and I was surprised at the volume of work therein. A treat I am looking forward to exploring. Thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Alan Bennett!, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Writing Home (Kindle Edition)
As a lifelong fan of Alan Bennett, I may be prejudiced, but I found the book typically humourous and philosophical. To anyone who appreciates his insight, and wants to know a little more about the people behind the public persona of his fellow performers, presenters, etc, the book will not disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bennett the Man!, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Writing Home (Kindle Edition)
I am still reading this book, but am enjoying it very much - in my head I can hear AB's voice and that makes it all the more enjoyable. The reasons I have not given it 5 stars are; I have not finished it ; I am reading it on my new Kindle and am not yet familiar with the finer points of the device. Any AB fan cannot fail to enjoy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 27 May 2013
P. Lim (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Bought this for my son as part of his search into the character of Alan Bennett. He eally enjoyed the book and the voice of Alan Bennett comes through strongly.

4.0 out of 5 stars alan bennett - writing home, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Writing Home (Kindle Edition)
nice dry humour as expected from this author, quite a lot of repitition from other books and sources that I had read before

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply and Completely Delightful., 18 July 2012
P. C. Cartledge (Shropshire, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book of personal experiences, some poignant, some absolutely hilarious. I travel a great deal and airports and aeroplanes become great places to spend some time because I can pick up and put down this book at will. Untold Stories is another brilliant volume. It is often all that I can do to laugh quietly rather than let out a loud guffaw in a hushed departure lounge.

Having lived in West Yorkshire with a daily commute to Leeds I can see so many things and places of which he writes. He is a wonderful verbal painter of pictures.

I have to admit that both books have inspired me to write a diary of my more amusing experiences of international travel. Anyone for a "bowel of soup"?

5.0 out of 5 stars Like hearing an exceptionally interesting speaker, 13 Jun 2011
Robert (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Bennett's style is conversational, and considered, most certainly not going for "reaction" from the reader. Quite unlike most other books, so reading it feels fresh and new. Observations are spot on and usually interesting and funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good one to 'dip in and out of' - rather than cover to cover gripper, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
For me Bennett suffers from being too well known a "voice" - I can hear it as I read.

Accordingly the medium of the written page (which I enjoy) pales in comparison to 'his' voice reading it on the radio, tv etc.

Because Bennett is a Leeds Lad, this book and most of his sell well in Leeds charity shops.

I enjoyed the book, the more so for some local knowledge which he sprinkles in the text:- Armley Library, the Family Butcher shop at Headingley (now a dry cleaners next to The Three Horseshoes), and the Weetwood Tram Sheds (now McArthy & Stone Retirement Appartments handy for Bryans Fish & Chip Restaurant).

One problem not yet resolved is that this isn't a 'book', rather a collection of essays, reviews, autobio and jottings.

This raises a problem for further Bennett purchases. Writing home contains a good section on The Lady in the Van.
A book I was going to buy, and others.
But does it contain all or part or most of?

In summary it may have given a taster or enough to spoil one of Bennett's other books.

But that is authors or publishers for you:- once created and copyrighted, text can be collated, rehashed and resold as another book.

Could someone clarify this for me - the publisher (or author!) perhaps?

Writing Home