4.0 out of 5 stars Like sitting at the feet of an imaginary favourite uncle...
Alan Bennett is a man of great humanity, who writes openly about closed lives in a way that feels very special. My gran used to shop at Bennett's father's shop, and I live across the river from Armley, where he grew up, so this episodic personal history has extra layers to it.
Yet there are plenty of layers for even the most casual reader - this could...
Published on 25 Jan 2006 by Simon Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
This was a good and amusing read, but with 800 pages was rather daunting. However it can be read in sections.
Published 22 months ago by Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan Bennett books, 27 Feb 2013
Joan Delamore "Mary J" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Some time ago I read a previous book by Alan Bennett and enjoyed it. This is just as good and when reading it I can hear him talking in that dry Yorkshire voice. Very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and entertaining in turns, 10 Jan 2013
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Writing Home (Hardcover)
Alan Bennet is an observer of life: some of the more amusing parts of this work are overheard snippets, non-sequiturs and the idiosynchracies of living. He writes with poignancy and pathos - a unique voice that makes him one of life's treasures. The writing is clear, concise and never fails to interest, but while the character of the author is ever-present, the personality is more like a distant shadow. I enjoyed the writing enormously, but would have liked to think that I knew something of the writer from the writing: in this respect, Bennet is evasive, emerging only in moments of pique, slightly political, less than totally sympathetic, someone who really does not want to be bothered - certainly not wanting to be bothered by his celebrity. This makes him human and likeable, which is essential, I think, to enjoying his work, which is uniquely Bennet; only, there is something incomplete. Nevertheless, I can't imagine anyone failing to enjoy this book, which is long, varied and emminently readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent condition., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Writing Home (Hardcover)
I've not read the plays yet but am looking forward to that time coming. Quality of the book is great and I was surprised at the volume of work therein. A treat I am looking forward to exploring. Thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Bennett the Man!, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Writing Home (Kindle Edition)
I am still reading this book, but am enjoying it very much - in my head I can hear AB's voice and that makes it all the more enjoyable. The reasons I have not given it 5 stars are; I have not finished it ; I am reading it on my new Kindle and am not yet familiar with the finer points of the device. Any AB fan cannot fail to enjoy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 27 May 2013
P. Lim (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Bought this for my son as part of his search into the character of Alan Bennett. He eally enjoyed the book and the voice of Alan Bennett comes through strongly.

4.0 out of 5 stars alan bennett - writing home, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Writing Home (Kindle Edition)
nice dry humour as expected from this author, quite a lot of repitition from other books and sources that I had read before

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply and Completely Delightful., 18 July 2012
P. C. Cartledge (Shropshire, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book of personal experiences, some poignant, some absolutely hilarious. I travel a great deal and airports and aeroplanes become great places to spend some time because I can pick up and put down this book at will. Untold Stories is another brilliant volume. It is often all that I can do to laugh quietly rather than let out a loud guffaw in a hushed departure lounge.

Having lived in West Yorkshire with a daily commute to Leeds I can see so many things and places of which he writes. He is a wonderful verbal painter of pictures.

I have to admit that both books have inspired me to write a diary of my more amusing experiences of international travel. Anyone for a "bowel of soup"?

5.0 out of 5 stars Like hearing an exceptionally interesting speaker, 13 Jun 2011
Robert (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Bennett's style is conversational, and considered, most certainly not going for "reaction" from the reader. Quite unlike most other books, so reading it feels fresh and new. Observations are spot on and usually interesting and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
A thorough page turner - and what an interesting man he is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014