1,311 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
An outstanding and dare I say superior sequel to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Having read the first story of the trilogy this summer I was eager to know how the sequel would compare. In the girl with the dragon tattoo, Lisebeth Salander is definitely an enigmatic character and there are subtle hints that there is a lot of back story to her character. Am I glad that...
Published on 6 Jan 2009 by acid_win

3.0 out of 5 stars More Sex, Some Drugs & a little Rock 'n' Roll
In this instalment of the Millennium Trilogy, our heroine is accused of a triple homicide and the evidence against her is compelling. However, not everyone is convinced of her guilt and her friend and erstwhile lover attempts to prove her innocence and save her from the horrors of her past. Larsson's second book of the Millennium Trilogy is undoubtedly better than his...
Published on 9 April 2011 by John Dexter

3.0 out of 5 stars Beaten to death by backstory., 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
"The Girl Who Played With Fire" is a book that I had kept for a while, in anticipation of a good read. Because I knew there were only 3 books in the series, and I had enjoyed "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" so much, I wanted to savour this book and saved it in order to prolong the pleasure.
However, in reality I found this book a huge disappointment. Perhaps it's my fault for building up the anticipation in my mind...but TGWPWF felt laboured and lacking in spontaneity.
And the backstory! For the first third of the book the reader is beaten over the head with backstory, using it as a blunt weapon to hammer home the characters motivation. Also, all the tedious detail! I know the author was using the list of Ikea products as an illustration of the obsessive mind set of Salander - but as a reader I really didnt care what the catalogue names of the products she bought were...and then the needless details started creeping into Blomvist's character to...enough! Life's too short!
In summary - a book that lost it's way. Being an eternal optimist I shall read book 3 - but with much lowered expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply marvellous, 8 Aug 2009
still searching (MK UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I promised myself after finishing the first novel in the Millennium trilogy that I would not start this, the second book in the series, until the third was available for purchase. I didn't want to have that vague feeling of bereavement that comes when finishing an utterly engrossing book involving characters that have become familiar and for whom, and this probably sounds ridiculous, it is possible to feel an element of affection. The `good guys', at any rate, are people who, were you to meet them in real life, you feel you would like to get to know better. They are intelligent, sympathetic, motivated, for the most part, by a higher moral code than mere financial gain and supremely competent at what they do, which is getting the bad guys! And all of this is still true of the superficially nihilistic Salander.

There are certain structural inconsistencies within this book that might be explained by the author's sudden death and some may find this, shall we say, irritating? I didn't and contented myself with the thought that the plusses so far outweigh the minuses that it would be churlish to gripe! Larsson's talent in creating these characters and setting them in high tech yet plausible environments is obvious almost from the first paragraph of the first book and is matched by the skill necessary to provide a structure and narrative drive that produces something that truly can be described as `un-put-downable'! Book lovers everywhere should lament the loss of such a rare talent.

As you can see, when the temptation is so great, promises are sometimes difficult to keep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be rushed, 18 July 2014
My review is aimed in part, at those who have read some but not the whole trilogy.

The Millennium Trilogy has many people praising the three novels but also many who clearly don't like them. I had read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and very much enjoyed it but had not read the other two. I found that "Tattoo" took some time to get going, but the prose (or at least the translation of it) was very distinctive and the plot was good but I think it was the main characters of Mikael and Lisbeth that remained in my memory.

Because of some sight problems I had stopped reading for quite some time, but then bought a Kindle (so that I could enlarge the font size), and kept promising myself I would at some stage read the other two from the trilogy. They are reasonably long novels and was somewhat hesitant as I wondered if I would enjoy them as much as I had the first one.

There had been few years between reading the first and then the second and third novels and I had forgotten just what the prose was like - namely all the things that those who don't like it, will criticise (too long, too descriptive even to the extent of saying the model of computer or phone etc that is being used). But I am so glad that I eventually got round to reading the other two novels - apparently another seven had been planned, and presumably would have been published but for Steig Larsson's demise.

A fourth novel is to be published in 2015 but doesn't have the approval of Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson's partner as it will not use the unpublished material which is in her possession.

So to sum up, if you have read and enjoyed some but not all of the trilogy I would very much recommend the package as a whole. I would recommend the novels to anyone with the patience for a long but very well plotted story, beautifully descriptive prose and great characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Larrson, 29 Jun 2009
L. Hope (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
The Millenium series is simply excellent; I cant wait for the final book. Steig Larsson has created both amazing characters and a gripping story line. All credit to the writer who translated the books into english.

2.0 out of 5 stars A giant pack of toilet paper, 14 Jun 2010
David Holyoak "David Holyoak" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great marketing by the publisher, but Stieg Laarsons edited (or possibly unedited) text is often tedious in the extreme. Page after page of pointless and quite tiresome detail is periodically (but not often enough) punctuated with meaningful threads that connect the beginning and especially fanciful ending. Be prepared to wade through page after page of mind numbing drivel, e.g. page 74 which is representative of so much of the text and I quote ...

"She was back in Soder by 5:00pm and had time to pay a quick visit to Axelsson's Home Electronics, where she bought a 48cm T.V. and a radio. Just before closing time she slipped into a store on Hornsgatan where she bought a vacuum cleaner. At Mariahallen she bought a mop, washing-up liquid, a bucket, some detergent, handsoap, toothbrushes and a giant pack of toilet paper. She was tired but pleased after her shopping frenzy. She stowed all her purchases in her rented Nissan Micra and then collapsed in Cafe Java on Hornsgaten. She borrowed an evening paper from the next table and learned that the Social Democrats were still the ruling party, and that nothing of great moment seemed to have occurred in Sweden while she had been away."

Numb your body and mind before ploughing further for nearly 500 more pages to the fanciful conclusion to this not very good "thriller". Gripping in too few parts but not entirely rubbish. Rated 2-stars to be generous as less than 40% is worth speed reading and the bulk would be best kept in the loo.

2.0 out of 5 stars A real magician..., 13 July 2010
H. Lacroix (France) - See all my reviews
The title of my review doesn't mean that I loved the book and thought its writing an act of absolute literay mastery, no, I rather thought it was masterful to be able to spread so thin a story over 560 pages. Well done!! All in all,' the girl playing with fire' 's plot would hold on the back of a stamp and yet the author manages to add and repeat so much that we end up with a crude but rather long narrative. What is it basically about? Well,n1 Lisbeth has a boob job done, n2 Blomkvist and Millenium meet a journalist ready to expose important people involved in the sex trade, n3 the journalist in question and his girlfriend get murdered, n4 Salander is suspected of the crime and n 5 a mysterious Zala (no I won't spoil it for you who haven't read it as yet and say more than I should) character haunts the book. Who is HE? That is all!! Meagre, isn't it? Now, as I was not greatly involved while reading I amused myself with understanding how you can make soup for twenty out of soup for two.First you have to start the novel with your heroine in the Caribbean, add a tornado, an attempted murder.... things that are not in the slightest connected to the rest of the story.(but it is like water when you drink a lot, it doesn't nourish but it fills you up)Then you arrange a large cast of characters who are all, at one point or another, going to tell you some of their version of what happened in 'the girl with the dragon tattoo'. Once you have been reminded five times at least of what you have already read and haven't forgotten, a good few many pages will have been filled. Then you write things twice, like e-mails between Salander and Blomkvist. You read them first when Salander reads them and when she answers Blomkvist, you read her e-mail again in case you hadn't been able to memorize the message. Then, you create a police investigation that plays on different levels so the ongoing investigation is first dissected by the policemen, then exactly the same things are discussed between the team at Millenium, then By Armansky at Milton's... then eventually why not by Palmgren in his clinic once he has sufficiently recovered to be able to speak? What's more you create sterotyped characters, people with interesting personality traits to whom you will warm immediately and you create tension between them all. Berger who might or might not leave Millenium but is riddled with guilt as she is unable to tell the truth, good guy Blomkvist who doesn't understand why Lisbeth doesn't want to have anything to do with him anymore but will stand by her anyway because he's a real friend, stupid detectives who get slapped around by their female colleagues because they are narrow -minded and think that a lesbian is necessarily evil and therefore guilty... I could continue forever as I have learned a lot from the book but it would grow as tedious reading my review as it was reading the novel so I'll take pity and stop there...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 1 Jun 2012
Really enjoyed this book, the 2nd in the trilogy and can't wait to start on the next one. As good as the first book and it carries on with the characters as if it's the same story. Well worth reading as long as you've got lots of spare time because you won't want to put it down!! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book!, 29 May 2012
A great page turner, once again Larsson brings us into a puzzle in which many players are involved. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 May 2012
This is a very enjoyable book which I just can't put down. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book but this is even better - I can't wait now to read the last instalment. Great story which keeps you on edge waiting to see that happens next, would highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Salander rules., 22 May 2012
The whole trilogy was completely gripping and Salander is without doubt one of the best heroines ever. Stieg Larsson was a true genious.