Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 13 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There's a lot of love on here for this old school style safety razor, and frankly I'm mystified as to why. Like it or not, modern multi-bladed razors were created for a reason - they're just so much better than an old style safety razor such as this. The downside of course is that modern blades are much more expensive, sometimes ridiculously so.

Which is where this retro razor comes in, which uses blades that are dirt cheap.

The whole point of this safety razor seems to be to deliver a plush shaving experience the way your dad/granddad experienced it (delete as applicable), but try as I might I just couldn't get on with it. Despite googling how best to shave the old fashioned way - which mostly seems to involve making shaving into a big, plush event - I was left unimpressed. This razor is hefty and does its job, but does it deliver a better shave than a modern multi bladed razor? Sadly, not in my experience.
on 18 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With care you can get a close shave. First warm the face with hot water and then apply a branded shaving gel. Warm the blade under the tap and then start shaving, clean the blade every few swipes. The razor is easy to use, has a nice weight and feel to it, quality product. Would recommend this if you are considering the purchase.
VINE VOICEon 20 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great piece of personal grooming help!
Perfectly balanced, gorgeous weighted razor. The first persuasion back to a traditional method instead of mach-something. Well placed in the market for cost and value. Attractive and functional.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good little product that makes you feel manly. Having to fit a blade is easy enough, despite being solidly in the Gillette generation.

Solidly made - although a little plastic - it is a decent, entry level razor for proper men.
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've never used double sided razor blades before and I'll admit I got this as much for a prop for filming than for it's intended purpose, but with decent blades it gives a good shave and it's a very comfortable design.
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had expected something, well a little less "Imitation" than this, the ebony handle could only be called "imitation" in that its black, because it does not feel like ebony, does not warm like ebony, and isn't ebony, its plastic and quite obviously plastic. This being my first touch of the razor set me up I think not to like it....

But, I continued, with the plastic coated silver coloured end to unscrew the top, at first I was not even sure the head plate was coming away, but it was, but all the time it felt so cheap in m hand.

Once I had it away and was holding the razor impressions didn't improve, and this overall feeling of plastic, or tack, didn't go away.

As I fitted a blade and screwed the handle home, then took a shave it was okay, but the experience was nothing to do with the razor, it was all a good shave through the new and good quality blade, the actual razor was just holding the blade and it still felt cheap and plastic.

And feeling so cheap you'd want this to be a throw away item, a disposable almost cost, but at £22 (at the time of writing) its not, that's a lot of money, especially when the razor itself does not come with any blades!

So, rating this one as okay, its a razor, it held the blade, it had the standard 3 hole design and it opened and closed easy enough, its the feel here, the experience, and to be honest, I was not impressed.

I'd therefore not use the razor myself, it might make a good gift, or stocking filler, in that it does have a nice box - cardboard, but nicely done. But I won't be using one of these myself, I'd much rather have gotten a more expensive one which felt the part.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Edwin Jagger DE86 appears to be part of a line up of shaving equipment with a retro look and quality feel. This double edged safety version carries on that theme. It feels weighty in the hand but still pleasant to use. The mechanism for fitting the blades is simple for anyone familiar with these razors from the past. Twist the bottom and the top releases allowing you to drop in a blade. Annoyingly the unit doesn't come with blades supplied and finding this style of blade these days is not simple.

In use it reminds me why blade technology has moved on in the last thirty years. Modern razors just do the job better. The mobile heads that fit your facial contours are absent here and the shave is poorer for it. For all it's claims to "safety" it still prone to nicking so best keep at styptic pencil handy to handle the cuts.

For me this is all about form and aesthetics over function. If that's your priority then fine but I think I'll stick with my modern blades.
77 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have the chrome version of this, so knew it would be a good product. I got these as I got fed up with the ridiculous cost of modern fancy razor spares, and these work out far cheaper in the long run.

If like me, you haven't shaved like this before, it's a lot more hassle than you'd think, and more expensive. Having got this razor, you'll then feel obliged to buy fancy lathering soap, a nice brush and stand, and also alum for your face.

And then there's the time it takes to clean the razor afterwards, so he whole thing is a lot more effort than a modern razor, but having said that, it's a pleasant way to spend 10 minutes or so, so not too bad really.

As to the razor itself, it's a quality product with a nice solid feel, a league apart from the cheap plastic junk you get. It just feels more satisfying and traditional using it, so if you fancy a change, splash out and turn your shaving into an art form.
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can't really comment on the closeness of the shave as this is obviously dependent on the blades used and no blades are provided with this item.

The "imitation ebony" handle in its description made me wary about this product even before receiving it. Because "imitation ebony" basically means 'black plastic' which isn't such a flattering description even though it happens to be factually correct. Expanding on this theme, the overall impression I get with this razor is that it has come out of a Christmas cracker. The mirror-like chrome gets awfully dirty and smudged.

Now the blurb on the packaging. I will capitalize the parts I would like to stand out, to be bold, as I can't actually edit text to be bold:

"The factory is based in Sheffield, England, a city famous for its hand forged blades, special steels as well as beautiful sterling silver tea sets, candelabra and cutlery, hand crafted by some of the finest skilled craftsman still producing handmade gifts."

This is ambiguous and largely irrelevant, even misdirection, a conjurer's trick, as it only tells us about SHEFFIELD'S reputation, not this brand's in particular. Also, it doesn't say ITS PRODUCTS are " hand crafted by some...", it only says that about Sheffield's - a nebulous statement that is leading the reader/purchaser to infer that this description applies to this brand and this product. This brand seems to be shamelessly trading on Sheffield's prestige.

Then, "Handmade in Sheffield: the phrase 'Handmade in Sheffield, England" has become world renowned and synonymous with highest quality products and manufacturing techniques."

This seems to strongly imply that EVERYTHING made in Sheffield (metal-working), therefore including this razor, is "high quality", yet stops short of explicitly making the claim for this product. It seems to be using some dubious logic: Sheffield's metal-working is renowned for its quality and this product is made in Sheffield therefore this product is high quality. The company's spiel plays heavily on the fact that its factory is based in Sheffield, yet the founders could have decided to base their factory in Sheffield JUST BECAUSE it had a reputation. Sheffield's reputation and this brand's reputation are intentionally CONFLATED which may mislead the potential customer.

An analogy. I have never made chocolates in my life. But supposing I make some and open a kitchen/shop making and selling them in, say, Milton Keynes. No one would bat an eyelid. But supposing I took the same level of knowledge and experience, the same ingredients and the same equipment and opened my shop in Brussels, Belgium. Then I could loudly boast that my chocolates were "handmade in Belgium!". But, what would actually be the difference between the two? It would all be smoke and mirrors. Everything is implicit and implied.

On a practical note, because the shaver head is metal it gets VERY hot when cleaned with hot water so it burns my face. It also seems a little unbalanced, with the centre of gravity nearer the head than the base of the handle.

I have seen a Wilkinson Sword Classic double-edge safety razor which comes with five QUALITY blades and it is a quarter of the price of this safety razor. It is more balanced and has a non-slip handle. You do the math.
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unfortunately I could not test this product out because it doesn't come as a complete razor. I think that the description and styling for this product seems better than the product itself though. It looks quite cheap and not especially well made , but obviously that's just from appearance and not testing it (however this has to count for something as they're touting it as a high end product, which should look nice).