Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 November 2009
I downloaded this on Monday in preparation for last night's exhilarating concert at the Barbican, and even on the thin speakers on my PC, from the very first track it was abundantly clear this entire project was a triumph. Wainwright inhabits each song completely, without ever descending into pastiche. She obviously has a heartfelt affinity with the songs of the period, and yet is also able to draw on modern influences at times. Everything about this album is beautifully judged and will no doubt have a completely new generation taking Piaf's songs to heart. I cannot wait to see/hear what Martha will do next. Buy Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, and I promise, you won't regret a thing.
on 22 November 2009
What more can be said other than Martha does an excellent effort on Edith Paif. I love Martha's voice at the best of times (check out her 1st two solo albums) but here the songs just seem so suited for her.

Excellent performances performed with such sensitivity and emotion in her voice. Maybe not to everyones taste if you are not a Piaf fan, but if you love Martha's voice defo worth considering to add to your Martha collection.
on 20 November 2009
I happened to hear an interview with the artist on Simon Mayo's Radio 5 programme. After hearing a couple of tracks I bought the CD. I was not disappointed.
on 9 January 2010
I am from Montreal and had the opportunity to see Martha sing Piaf in August 2009. Was an incredible show and have been waiting for the CD since that time. I think her voice is so unique that to have her sing and interpret Piaf makes alot of sense. The CD has a great choice of songs and mine came with bonus DVD of 4 songs ( viewable only with appropriate DVD player). Its a recording filled with emotion and styling. Bravo!
on 28 January 2010
This is my first Martha Wainwright music purchase.
I bought it after hearing her on Simon Mayo's radio programme on BBC 5live.
This is a revelation. Such a brilliant voice and feel for the Piaf songs.