5.0 out of 5 stars "The Gathering" series book 1

Published on 22 Mar 2011 by E. L. Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Gathering" series book 1, 31 July 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
SL does what she does best, delivering a fast paced, hot paranormal romance with plenty of tongue in cheek humour and some laugh out loud moments. She has created a modern day mythological tale as the agents of the Nordic Gods interact in New Jersey. Odin has his Ravens; strong male warriors who follow his bidding, whilst Skuld; the Goddess of Fate has her Gathering of Crows. Brought back from a violent death, a Crow remains mortal but is changed by Skuld; developing enhanced strength and fighting skills, plus wings, talons and a healthy attitude towards hurting anyone who meddles with ancient godly relics. These women are more likely to remove your head first rather than ask questions, but the fun loving, vivacious Crows sure know how to throw one heck of a party.

Second in command of the New Jersey Crows is Neecy Lawrence. Turned at just 16 when her drug dealer boyfriend gunned her down, the highly independent Neecy has spent the last 15 years trying to make up for the things she did before becoming a Crow. She lacks a carefree attitude but raven Wilhelm Yager sees right through her cool exterior and knows they are perfect for each other. He knows it, the Gods know it and the Crows know it; in fact the only person who refuses to acknowledge how right they are together is Neecy herself. As Will sets about the most forthright and persistent seduction ever (think more handcuffs and fisticuffs than chocolates and roses), he needs all his skills to worm his way into Neecy's heart.

There are plenty of action packed fight scenes and some hot monkey sex sessions, but it is the characters that make this book. Neecy and Will are great together, but I'm loving Janelle and her relationship with Mike; whom she has a tendency to punch repeatedly in the face. Her love interest looks to be another Raven though, who will undoubtedly face a similar battle to Will's when he makes his intentions clear. Back to Mike; his cringe worthy and totally inappropriate sexist comments in front of a group of bloody thirsty females would be suicidal it he wasn't so funny, and I hope he takes a lead in the future. "Hunting Season" is a tremendously enjoyable start to a new series and is certainly on par with this author's excellent "Dragon Kin" books. Unfortunately there are no details available yet as to further books in "The Gathering" series, but I'm crossing my fingers that when book 2 is available Janelle takes a lead role.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunting Season: The Gathering (Book 1), 9 July 2011
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
My review will be quick to the point.
Her books have what all brilliant paranormal romances should have.

1. Good plot: check
2. Good writing: check
3. Yummy male lead: check
4. Kickass female lead: check
5. Romance: check!! ;P

Overall: I love this book. I can't wait for more (please shelly give me more...).

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Dec 2010
M. Heron "maryheron1" (liverpool england) - See all my reviews
Love Shelly's sense of humour, and i really looked forward to this being re-issued, it is a great book introduces a new take on a familiar tale, (the vikings their gods, and mythology) a bit similar to the mythology of Kresley Coles series. But i was very disappointed to learn there are no plans to continue the series, we are introduced to some absoloutly amazing characters and what is a brilliant book and you can tell that this was intended to be a series with intercomnnecting storyline and characters, so as a standalone this does take away somewhat from your enjoyment of the book, that said it is an excellent read, but only 4 stars because when you get to the end there will be that burning desire to know when can i get the next one?...............and bad news is you can't

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable but not amazing, 22 Mar 2011
E. L. Joseph (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Hunting season is the first in a series about warriors of the Nordic Gods. One of which is Skuld who has her Crows; mortal women killed and resurrected but now with additional wings, talons and strength. The other being Odin with his Ravens; immortal men born to serve him and prevent the use of ancient godly artefacts. This story follows the leader of the ravens Will Yager in his quest to finally convince second-in-command of the crows Neecy Lawrence to go out with him. Neecy who was killed by her drug dealer boyfriend has spent all of her second life making up for her past mistakes and the last thing she is after is getting involved with Yager.

This is the first book by Shelly Laurenston I have read and I must admit it hasn't made me eager to read more of her books. Paranormal romance is all about fast-paced plots and action and of course sex...but this book was pretty much all sex and then a few sentences of plot thrown in for good measure every now and then. I can't compare this book to anything else she has written so maybe this is her style I don't know? I like sex in a good book as much as the next person but not at the expense of everything else - I like a juicy plot to get completely absorbed in and that was definitely lacking in this book.
The surrounding plot that was there didn't do much for me and it really might as well not have been there. It didn't connect to rest of the book at all and seemed to be a pretty half-hearted attempt to give the book some direction. There was some explanation about the mythology behind the story but not much. All these idiots were stealing and trying to use artefacts for evil but no description of what they were or what they could do with them or anything at all really. There didn't appear to be much of an effort to start weaving the threads of the next book (unless you count the suggestion about Janelle and Tye) despite supposedly being a series. Although it appears she is not in a rush to write the next one.

Overall the book was pretty average; the only bright spark being Will Yager; I loved Will Yager, he was such a great character and was adorably geeky. (seriously the stars are pretty much all for him) Neecy on the other hand had her good moments but again nothing special. I didn't feel much of a draw to any of the other characters either to be totally honest so im not that bothered about the wait to the next one. I guess I will hang on to this until I read the next in the series because - fair enough - the first book isn't always fantastic but there needs to be a vast improvement if I am gonna keep this book on the shelf.

Recommended for a quick read for those looking to fill a couple of hours...or if you read paranormal romance books and only like the sex scenes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you like..., 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
People have be recommending Shelly Laurenston to me for some time, but this is the first book I have tried from her extensive backlist. Whether or not you love this book, depends on what you are looking for really. I am a huge fan of paranormal romance/action books and in my choices I expect to get lots of plot, great characters and mythology, romance and passion. Of those things, The Gathering had the mythology and the passion.

There's lots of interesting mythology around the crows and the ravens and the various gods that they work under and I enjoyed learning about the different characters in each group. They provide lots of amusing moments. Neecy was okay but I didn't love her- her nature of being defensive and ignoring a man who clearly adored her and would do anything for her made her difficult to like at times. Will was a much better character, well written and easy to like. Their relationship was fun to read and certainly very hot. However, much of it was taken up by pages and pages of sex. It was well-written but it almost got ridiculous how many pages were devoted to it. It lacked the romantic angle for me- there were moments of romance but there were a little spoilt by Neecy's reaction to them.

In terms of plot, there was an attempt at one outside Will and Neecy's relationship, but it was thinly drawn and half-hearted. I can forgive that somewhat because the first book in any series is always very introductory and has to focus on letting you get to know the important characters. Perhaps the follow up books will have more plot and, I never thought I'd say this... less hanky panky!

Some reviewers have mentioned that there won't be any follow ups to this series. On her website Shelley Laurenston has this in her FAQs: "Although I do hope to continue these two series in the future, I have no idea when in the future that will be."
She appears to be concentrating on her other series at the moment.

So all in all- this is a bit of fun with plenty of passion and little plot. If you are looking for something to get your pulse racing, this will do it. If you are looking for something to really get stuck into and absorbed in, this isn't for you. It hasn't convinced me that Shelly Laurenston should go onto my must-read list with Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, JR Ward etc She would have to add a great deal more plot to achieve that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindle: one or two minor errors but other than that, it was fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
I personally couldn't get into this. I found it all to predictable but maybe I have become jaded by the whole genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunting season, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
This book is a page turner, it is well written and witty and I can't believe there is not another in the series yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to author, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
I love Shelly Laurenston's writing style and stories, all are different, all are unique and all of the characters have there own personalities! There hasn't been a time where I've thought, "She's just like so and so out of the magnus pack or the pride series."
Here kitty kitty is still my favorite but I really enjoyed this one too.
They're sexy, witty, sometimes laugh out loud and make you want to read the next set of characters.
Read it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars different but still good, 10 Dec 2013
K. Wragg "kwragg" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
Shelly Laurenston has now added crows and ravens to my library .. I first stared with her Pride and Dragon series which are truly fantastic ..however this book lacks a little something.. the heroine in this book is a little rough around the edges and personally got on my nerves a bit hence the four stars .. little childish of me but I just couldn't like her not like her other books however the storyline was good and different however should Ms Laurenston release another in this series I would still definitely buy it as I would love to know about the other characters

4.0 out of 5 stars The Gathering, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hunting Season (The Gathering) (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the story and the characters, cheesy at times but still made me laugh. Gotta love strong kickass women. Hope there's a sequel.

Hunting Season (The Gathering)
Hunting Season (The Gathering) by Shelly Laurenston