Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£12.35

on 15 November 2010
I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic athlete for many years - good club standard in a number of sports: E.g. a sub-2 hour 45 minute marathon, several years elite rowing, a lot of long distance cycling with my first '100' in 2009. During that time I have had to figure out many things for myself and have made a lot of mistakes, including ending up in hospital after training on several occasions from late onset hypoglycaemia. And yet there is no question but that exercise has been of tremendous value to me. For much of that time I had no idea of where to go for encouragement or advice.

This book is very helpful in a number of ways. It explains quite a bit about exercise physiology - what actually goes on within the body - really important stuff. It describes a number of strategies for adjusting insulin dosage, etc. It turns these into advice for many sports (ranging from active gardening and housework to doing the Race across America on a bike - I had no idea that Team Type 1 (ie people just like me - albeit fitter and more skilful!) had won this several times.

This is what is best about this book - practical advice from the horse's mouth and very inspiring case studies. Really inspiring to read, for instance, about the athlete who made the Canadian Rowing Team in Athens as a diabetic. And the author is herself a competent athlete on insulin, who has specialised in this field.

Why not 5 stars? Had I not read the superb book 'Pumping Insulin' I might have been tempted - this book is good value and a good read. But to tell the truth, Pumping Insulin gave more practical advice on the arithmetic of adjusting food and insulin to exercise in one short chapter than this book does. The case study approach does tend to lead to a 'whatever works for you' set of ideas. These are interesting, but there are sums that you can do and this book does not have them set out clearly.

I would go for both books. This one complements the other perfectly. While I'd get Pumping Insulin if I could only afford one, this would be high on my Christmas List just for sheer pleasure of reading. And there *is* some very useful material in it. The two fit together very well, so why not do yourself (or someone you love) a favour!
on 19 July 2013
I was expecting more from this book to be honest.

Where it was lacking?
- general physiology and sports specific physiology, if you want a decent amount of detail here, best go to Tim Noakes' The Lore of Running, or Phil Maffetones Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing. This was pretty light touch for a book that is targetting the athletic diabetic
- sport specific strategies in detail, found this bit repetetive, confusing and not detailed enough for me.
- carbo centric - lacking almost any detail on low to moderate carb approaches for the serious endurance athlete and training the fat burning metabolism as a diabetic

Overall I was expecting more detail. If you are a new athlete or an established diabetic looking to get started on exercise this is a good starting point, but as a newly diagnosed, but established serious athlete who already has their own sports specific knowledge this simply did not deliver. I needed a book that would help the athlete understand the effect of diabetes on their energy needs, nutrition, hydration and training strategies and this just wasn't it.
on 30 December 2009
To me this is one of the best popular books on any aspect of diabetes that I have read. The "case histories" of individual's achievements are nothing short of inspirational! If you are type 1, then the information on how to modify the insulin control would be vital and very difficult to assemble from other resources in my view.

Actually, I am not insulin dependent (it's presently unclear whether I am type 2 or LADA) although I probably will be very soon without the large volume of cardio exercise that I am doing. The book doesn't really go into this aspect --- i.e. using glycogen depletion to control blood sugar --- that was the only weakness from my point of view.
on 27 January 2012
I bought this book as I am a diabetic and work out 6 days a week.
All I can say is I wish I had known about this book a lot earlier!!!!
It is understandable and so helpful.
The different sports listings at the back and suggested tips for better control are truly fantastic.
It is not specifically aimed at Type 1's, it is for all types.
If you are a diabetic and have an interest or you participate in sports or activities it is a must read.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 4 September 2015
As someone who has been in the fitness industry for quite some time, but also been involved with Diabetics this book is a bible.

Dr Sheri R.Colberg has covered every major sport and presented it in such a manner that anyone can just pick it up and will instantly be glad they did. If you are a diabetic coach like myself, learning what other major athletes do during certain situations regarding their basal rates, how they train, and how they manage their diabetes during sporting events is very beneficial to you and your athletes success.

If you are diabetic and want to get involved in sport, this is a must have handbook.

Love all books by Dr Colberg, but this one is my fave.

Would highly recommend.

P.s If you have any questions, drop her an email and she will definitely get back to you right away :)

One happy coach! (oh and if you want to be coached - drop me an email @ ryandaviesfitness@gmail.com)

Thanks
on 6 October 2013
Although I would never call myself an "athlete" I bought this book in the hope that it would give me a few tips on keeping the blood sugar under control. It has done far more than that! It is a mine of really useful information, both about the body and Type 1 (and Type 2) Diabetes, and building up your fitness, whatever level you are at or aspire to be at. It has given me really useful information that is not included in medicine handouts available in UK, which I will discuss next time I see my consultant.

It contains a lot of technical information, but it is put over in a way that I found accessible to a non-medic. It is not constantly trying to make you the next Sir Steve Redgrave, but gently guides you to what you want to achieve. An excellent, well written book.Diabetic Athlete's Handbook
on 11 May 2012
The book has been a great help, it is full of information and covers a great range of sports. It is a must for diabetics who take part and want to progress while maintaining good BG levels
on 15 April 2011
If you are sporty at all and diabetic then this is a really worthwhile buy. Helps you calculate what your levels should be for different ranges of exercise and gives you guidelines for your insulin when actually taking part in sport.

The author is extremely knowledgeable in not only diabetes but has covered a real range of sports but covers everything in a style that's not too heavy.

If you're female it even delves into how your cycle can influence your insulin needs.
Only regret is that I hadn't found this book before!
on 8 October 2015
It is the first sensible book, I have seen about diabetics and exercise. The book goes into minute detail, about many sports and who it would help you to participate in that sport. Being a diabetic, it is much harder to get into shape and remain in that shape for your health. It is very hard work and also takes time in order to get that way. I would recommend this book for the diabetic who seriously wants to train themselves to get and remain fit.
on 20 March 2015
It is very detailed book and as such I have only read a small amount of it. I think it's something that once you've got used to it you will dip in and out of.