5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the disneyworld lovers

2.0 out of 5 stars Unofficial shouldn't necessarily equate to unprofessional
Published on 23 May 2011 by Captain EO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the disneyworld lovers, 5 Dec 2011
D. Cain (uk) - See all my reviews
Lots to read, but in a simple layout. You can come and go back to the book as a point of reference. It will be of interest to anyone who is going to WDW, especially those that have been before, and want to understand the other side of Disney, and see the park from a different angle. It is very informative and explains what the thought process is behind each thing added into the parks. Very interesting. I have been six times, and have never noticed 90% of the things the book points out, and i can not wait to go again shortly, with the book in hand to discover a whole new WDW. It covers all four of the major parks in Orlando. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - could do with updating, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom (Kindle Edition)
Love this book - bought a paperback version of it some years ago and downloaded it again this year on the kindle to make it easier to carry about!

Could do with updating tho (otherwise would have been 5 stars) as some of the things are very out of date.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read........., 24 Aug 2009
N. MacRae - See all my reviews
As a first timer to WDW (going Easter 2010) I am reading up as much as I can about WDW to enhance my (and my families) experience. We did DLP last year and used one of Susans (and Simons) guide books which we found fab.

This book is great. There are some nice little niggets of info, all of which I will be looking for when we go. I found the history behind the parks and the lengths the creators went to to develop the various places and lands astounding. The book has certainly opened my eyes and enhanced the magic and excitiment of going to WDW. I have read other WDW info which I found to be long winded and quite boring in fact, whereas Susan's down to earth style is more absorbable and enjoyable.

I tend to agree with the other report above that some photos of the "secrets" or even photos of the parks etc would have enhanced the book no end, but I take on Simons comments about this. I do think that the text only layout of the book lets it down slightly (and I do stress the slightly) but this is the only negative I could find.

On the whole a good, informative read from the view of a WDW first timer, but I will add that my friend who is going for her 5th or 6th visit in October has borrowed it as she said it looked interesting. Some of the bits I told her about she didn't know about either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insider tips!, 10 April 2013
We bought a hard copy of this book but forgot to take it with us so downloaded while we were away to read on the Kindle in the parks. Was a great buy - each of the Disney parks has it's own detailed chapter, each with a synopsis at the beginning if you're short on time. We've been to Disney three times now so had the time to spare to read through it and look at some of the things it was suggesting. If you're going for the first time you might be better enjoying all the experiences than using this book as a bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved the book, it was magical, 25 Mar 2013
Would recommend this book to anyone visiting Disneyland. It brings all the magic of the parks and memories back once you have visited. An enjoyable read

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Aug 2013
This is a great book to read before you head to Disney in Orlando. This was our 6th visit so we wanted to do things a little differently, see things that as a first time visitor you miss. This book was great for secrets to find and see just how clever the Disney Imagineers were and are. We had a great time and saw things we had never noticed on previous trips. A few things mentioned in the book no longer exist due to the years passing since the book was written but it is still worth buying. Would be great for this book to be updated. A definate must for anybody visiting for the 2nd time (way toooooooo much to see on your first visit, no time for a book!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unofficial shouldn't necessarily equate to unprofessional, 23 May 2011
Captain EO "No. 7" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
As a huge fan of the Disney Parks & a frequent vistor, I consume the majority of books, magazines & DVD's available and on an almost daily basis, will spend time on a number of websites to keep upto date with the latest news & devour any good stuff I've not previously been aware of. I therefore needed little encouragment to pick up this book as it apparently contains over 600 secrets but I'm sad to say found it a poor read.

Firstly, the positives. Well done on the Author for getting a book released that solely focuses on the second-to-none, finer details of the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks. It's also refreshing to see a release focus on the other three parks other than just the Magic Kingodm (something that can also be said about the Anaheim Resort). Susan Veness definitely has her heart in the right place & has fine taste when it comes to spare-time, the trouble here is however that there are thousands of other Disney & Theme park fans who'd love to get a similar book published but are very aware that deep-down they are neither talented enough as a writer to work on such a project or have much to tell that hasn't been written a hundred times before. Unfortunately the Author here has pushed on & released a book anyway.

The style of writing is informal to say the least & less than halfway through the book, I began to detest the way in which Veness has decided to convey her message. It's actually difficult to put your finger on quite why it's so bad .. too cutesy, too childish, too familar ? I'm not certain but in short, it's horrible.

The main negative of the book however is the lack of information. I don't necessarily mean that there's little here that a new visitor wouldn't find of interest but I'd guess a larger percentage of the people who may buy this book would be Disney or Theme Park fans and as one of them, there was very little here that I wasnt already aware of. The vast majority of facts that I had not previously heard were so mundane or far from being a "secret" at all that in all honesty I couldn't care less about. I visited all four parks within a week of reading this book & struggled to remember very few of Veness 600 secrets.

Whilst it's easy to see that the Author is a huge fan of WDW, it's also crystal clear that Veness struggled to fill almost 250 pages. There's so much padding & repetitiveness it drove me crazy. At the beginning of each section there's a park map (actually very well laid out & professional) but each attraction is annotated with the exact same facts that you'll very soon be reading - in some cases the only fact. Additional to this, the weighting of text assigned to particular attractions is odd to say the least. Take Fantasmic, perhaps the finest Theme Park night-time show to ever be put together which requires a huge amount of technical effort to stage, whether it be dozens of live performers, a vast array of state-of-the art special effects, a spectacular set on a lake, etc. Veness dedicates a half-page to it. A restaurant in Animal Kingdom however gets 3 pages of apparent secrets. Read into this what you will but it became quite obvious early-on that the Author has simply spent a lot of time visting the Parks & simply noting many things that a casual visitor can see for themselves & little actual "inside" knowledge.

I don't particularly like being negative about any Walt Disney World release whether it be official or unofficial but I also don't like wasting my time or money on a release that provides me with little or no further knowledge on a subject & with this in mind advise that fans or first-time visitors avoid this book. There's a whole host of brilliant other books available (try the Imagineering Field Guides)& if you're looking for free stuff there's dozens of professionally designed websites to learn more about Walt's Parks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem!, 14 July 2009
Mr. A. Jessop (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
In a saturated market full of Disney World guide/secret books, this one really stands out. If you're a first-time visitor you will enhance your trip by 100%, and if (like me!) you're a 'many-timer' you will stop and appreciate the parks like never before (even if you thought you knew all there was to know!). Written with passion and a dedication to the original vision of the Imagineers, this book re-creates the magic of Disney World without spoiling it and is a must for anyone who loves the parks and all their glorious detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but I expected more from the book, 11 Nov 2013
As a frequent visitor to WDW I thought this book might help me get more out of my next trip. Overall I was quite disappointed in th ebook. I had hoped it would give me a more thorough insight into the hidden magic of the parks and why things have been developed in the way they have. It's okay but could have been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 14 Sep 2013
Mrs. Sj Roworth-baggley (England UK) - See all my reviews
Is what it says - lots of secrets revealed - very interesting read. Gave us a good insight even though we had been may times before