on 22 December 2003
You can listen to this album anywhere you like. In the car, at home with a loved one, over dinner with friends or in a cafe/restaurant and the feeling is always the same. Washed over with good feelings and ambience second to none. The songs never date and you find yourself either singing along to them or tapping the wheel or nodding your head. You even think, "Didn't know he recorded this one!!" during one or two of them.
A great album featuring an underestimated and under exposed artiste.
on 22 March 2000
When my friend got this CD I had never heard of Bill Withers and I can now assure the world that he is a great artist and appears to be much underestimated. I have played this CD to most of the people I know and all of them knew some of the songs but none of them had ever heard the originals. On a sunny afternoon with the smooth and laid back Bill Withers on the stereo I am at my happiest and most relaxed. This is a cornerstone of my CD collection and since my friend bought it I along with many others have followed suit. I strongly recomend that you do the same.
on 23 July 2009
You see, I like Rock, the heavier the better, Slayer, Danzig, Groundhogs,and so on, but secretly I've always liked Bill Withers. This man has a voice to charm to birds out of the trees and this album is a corker! Nearly everyone a gem, even the fillers sound good. If you don't buy this CD at these incredibly low prices you are missing a treat. But please don't tell anyone I told you!!!!
on 26 April 2002
An iconic figure in Black Music. His melodies are a fusion of melancholic old-school blues and rifts of simple genius that form the foundations of contemporary hip hop. These are all rolled over in a wise, unhurried style by a rich voice evoking images of smoke filled Harlem Jazz clubs and the oozing mississippi. A treat for the ears and a must for anybody with an ear for music. Do not underestimate the musical influence of the works of Bill Withers.
on 9 May 2003
what a great cd to wake up to. Chilled mellow but with that funky beat. If you have not heard of bill withers you will have heard many of the tracks that are on this album and not even realised it. Probably because they have been covered by people like tracy chapman, will young, will smith etc etc etc. As most of us know the origanals are always the best.
classics: lovely day, just the two of us, ain't no sunshine
if you want real sunshine then buy this
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 February 2013
I rediscovered Bill via Spotify and after listening to some of his albums I decided to buy a couple, including this one, so I can listen at a better quality than streaming.

This seems an obvious starting point for anyone like me coming back to this artist or perhaps for those finding him for the first time. It is a comprehensive and well engineered album that plays very well on my HiFi.
on 21 March 2015
Any music collection should contain at least one Bill Withers album and if you don't want to go for the entire back catalogue "Lovely Day" is a nice place to start.

There are several compilations out there and the 2 disc "essential" gives a broader career overview, but "Lovely Day" contains most of the important tracks.

Although well respected, Withers does not get the credit he deserves as a one of the greats. This compilation demonstrates how good he was as a performer and writer. Most of the tracks on this collection were written by him but many are known through covers by other artists

There is an integrity about Withers performance with the arrangements being low key and the lyrics tend to be very personal (for example Grandma's Hands). Also there is very little padding with these tracks with many coming in at under 3 minutes.

When I play this album to people not familiar with his work, there generally tend to be 2 responses
1) I didn't realise he Withers wrote/recorded (pick any track from the album)
2) This album is great

This single disk compilation contains most of the classics (Lovely Day / Just the two of us) and is focused on the key tracks from his first 4 albums (Just as I am / Still Bill / +justments / Live at carnegie hall). The version of "I want to spend the night" on this album sounds slightly different to the one on Menagerie but that could be down to mastering.

My only reservation is that I would have liked to have seen "I can't write left handed" from "Live at Carnegie" on the compilation, but its not the end of the world as that album is the next place to go to after this one.

If you want a single disc with most of the classics, "lovely day" is an excellent place to start your Bill Withers journey.
on 21 April 2012
What a truly excellent album. All the best tunes here. Wish he'd written more, a genius, yet very modest guy.
Bill is actually remembered for very few hits of his own, but his songs are popular among other singers, who record cover versions and sometimes have hits with them. This is one of several compilations that allow you to hear Bill sing his own songs in his own particular style.
Of Bill's songs, Lean on me is the one that is most frequently covered. It is a classic, anthemic song that can be interpreted as a love song or as a gospel song, while its basic simplicity allows it to be adapted to many different musical styles. Nevertheless, among Bill's own hits, the first one that comes to mind is actually Lovely day, partly because others have had a hit with Lean on me (so people who know the song don't always associate it with Bill) and partly because Lovely day is such a fantastic song anyway.
But Bill's great songs don't end with Lean on me and Lovely day - Ain't no sunshine, Just the two of us, Use me and Grandma's hands are just a few of the other great songs here and on other Bill Withers compilations.
on 18 April 2012
Saw a television programme about Bill Withers recently and watched it over and over again. Had no idea he had written so many iconic songs across the genres. His own man through and through and still able to produce the right stuff. His daughter is going to be another must for all serious music lovers.