5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome nearly all the way through
Published on 13 Nov 2009 by P. M. Dalton

2.0 out of 5 stars One Trick Pony
Creative freedom is not necessarily a guarantee of quality.

Ms Stone would have us believe that her new album is the
real deal and that all that went before was just a stage-managed
dress rehearsal for this moment.
For my money, however, I cannot discern any substantial qualitative
difference between 'Colour Me Free' and all that has gone...
Published on 4 Nov 2009 by The Wolf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome nearly all the way through, 13 Nov 2009
P. M. Dalton "unovisions" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
I loved the first soul sessions album for its rawness, then came over produced disapointing second album and after that I just thought the first album had been a fluke. This though just listening to on spotify, oh wow, she's only gone and put out an album we from the start wanted for the second album. Just full of pure soul and the vocals are up there with the greats. I've got a taste in music that dips into nearly every genre and just love raw soul, this album delivers.

Only not so good are the songs featuring Jamie Hartman, don't know who he is but his voice doesn't really go with hers as its very middle of the road charty vocals. Still not bad when she comes in, just of been better without him.

Still totally worthy of album of the year.

Welcome back Joss..

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Joss, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Joss Stone album so far. She is an amazing women - forget Amy Winehouse and Duffy, Joss is way, way above them. Unfortunately in the UK at least, she does not get the credit or publicity she deserves, but maybe that aint no bad thing - it's nice to have her all to ourselves. If you like blues, soul, jazz, gospel, smokey night-time music then you'll love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars a more mature sound, 26 Oct 2009
Mr. S. F. Mayo (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
As a fan that has everything Joss has released and think she can do no wrong the only gripe I have with the album is that the following songs have been available over the last two years.

"Big Ole Game" (Ft. Raphael Saadiq) ...is available on both the special edition (with bonus Cd) and Japanese version of "Introducing Joss Stone."Introducing Joss Stone
"Governmentalist" ...was available free via Joss' website in 2008
"I Believe It To My Soul" (Ft. Dave Sanborn)...is available on Dave Sanborns' 2008 album "Here And Gone"Here and Gone
"Stalemate" (Ft. Jamie Hartman)...is available on Bens Brothers 2009 album "Battling Giants."Battling Giants
Bonus hidden track - "Mr Wankerman"...was available as a free download on Joss' imeem page Christmas 2007.

Free Me" ...the first single shows Joss in a rebellious but playful mood and should see her back in the charts with this catchy number that takes a swipe at her label EMI especially with the closing words "Free me EMI!"
"Could Have Been You" ...soulful love song which could have been included on "Introducing Joss Stone"
"Parallel Lines" (Ft. Jeff Beck and Sheila E) ...with a reggae backbeat is a real treat
"Lady" ...is a classic album soul track.
"4 and 20" ...this bluesy offering was a hit when Joss performed this track live when she showcased the album at various small venues around the UK.
"Big Ole Game"...has been a favourite song of mine for years and showcases her voice perfectly.
"Govermentalist"...a catchy protest war song.
"Incredible"... another personal favourite with a rousing chorus which could of also been included on "Introducing Joss Stone"
You Got The Love ...A cover of the Shapeshifters 2006 hit
"I believe it to my soul" ...A rousing cover of a Ray Charles classic that could do pretty well on Jools Hollands' "Later"
"Stalemate" ...this version has far more feeling (in my opinion) than the current single with Bens brother and Anastasia
"Girlfriend On Demand" ...the final track and by far my favourite album track (at 7.30 mins) since "What Where We Thinking" ("Introducing Joss Stone").
"Mr Wankerman" ...a hidden track shows Joss in a rebellious mood having fun jamming with her band - 13.44 mins of pure bliss

With a basic booklet and a single unflattering photograph of Joss inside (no doubt a move to anger EMI) this album reveals a more mature sound but I can't wait until a more settled and happy Joss delights us even more with a fifth studio album. So come on EMI let her go ...
Refers to the UK version

5.0 out of 5 stars BACK TO HER BEST!!!!!, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
Ok before I review the album i want to say something quickly, I know most of Joss's UK fans have deserted her over her stupid Brit awards accent thing but I think we everybody just needs to get over that and realise she was just a young girl trying to act cool and she showed herself up :P I'm sure it's happened to us all at some time or annother but hopefully people forgave you and m oved on.

The second thing I want to mention before the review is how dissapointed with the way EMI has handled this whole album, I know that EMI and Joss have had some differences over this album but they should let singers/bands be creative with there music not just make some generic slop, Joss has sold over 11,000,000 albums worldwide so i'm sure she knows what she's doing.
The promotion this album has recieved is pathetic, Joss did a small UK tour to promote the album but EMI pushed it back, in the US they changed the cover to a plain boring written thing because apparently the cover for the UK and rest of the world was "offensive" . . . I don't see how Joss in a box is offensive when they were happy to have her naked agains a wall for "introducing Joss Stone" and they havn't even made a music video for the first single "Free Me" which is the biggest marketing tool to get people to realise theres a new album out.
It seems like EMI is still punnishing joss for her creativity and they are doing everything they can to make this album bomb which is sad and pathetic.

Now for the review!!! lol

For us Joss fans it's been a long wait due to all the push backs but now it's finally hear and I have to say that it's possibly her best album yet as good as "Mind Body And Soul" for sure.
if "Introducing Joss Stone" was a (great in my opinion) teenage rebellion "Colour Me Free" is the natural progression from "The Soul Sessions" & "Mind Body and Soul" and it's amazing for that.
The songs are raw, passionate and amazing and I can't get enough of it.
My favourite song on the album is "Could Have Been You" which I hope will be the second single and also look out for the AMAZING hidden track "Mr Wankerman".

You know what? I'm not that good at reviews but I have to say this is an amazing album and Joss is one of the best female vocalists of our time and we as a country need to support and praise her tallent, I find it rediculous that (amazing as she is) Amy Winehouse can take drugs, drink to excess, have fights in the streets and still sell shed loads and get unanimous praise from the UK but Joss makes one stupid, trivial mistake and shes abandoned :P

I hope EMI pull there finger out and start to promote this album properly because it's one of the best albums this year and doesn't deserve to be left on shelves gathering dust and I hope the fans give Joss annother chance and enjoy this album for what it is, Great Music . . . Love You Joss, keep making music forever! x

5.0 out of 5 stars joss, 18 May 2013
Kind seller professional.
  Watch out for the customer!
Quick to contacts and answers.
Recommended to all friends and relatives.
great

listen & listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour me free, Joss Stone, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
This cd really shows off her voice, if you like Joss Stone then this is a must for your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 10 Oct 2010
David Powell (Wales - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
I must say that after I heard Introducing Joss Stone I thought that I may have bought my last album by her. Its combination of cringy lyrics and a black guy in the background shouting 'uh-yeah' every so often was a total turn off for me.

When Colour Me Free! came out on Spotify and the news that Joss wanted out of her EMI contract, I gave the album an audition. I have to say that within a few tracks I thought 'Joss's back'! I then heard 4 And 20 and I was once again blown away by this girl's talent.

It's not to say that there's not the odd occasional misstep on Colour Me Free!, but these are few and far between and the energy and loose feel of the album show that gentle guidance rather than interference is the way to make this girl shine.

My very favourite tracks on Colour Me Free! would have to be Free Me, 4 And 20 and the hidden track Mr W*****man (which may offend some, but to me is a giggle).

5.0 out of 5 stars A potential number one album... failed by poor publicity, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
Joss Stone has had some seriously bad press in the UK in the last few years and this coupled with the lack of promotion by EMI has meant that Colour Me Free really hasn't been given the publicity it deserved.

The reviews for this album both from the public and the critics have been overwhelmingly positive and even without much publicity it reached No 2. in the US album charts. Why? Because it is a truly fantastic piece of work that not only does Stone's voice justice but also showcases her growing song writing talent.

EMI clearly didn't understand what they had in Stone and this album just goes to show that the Terra Firma (invest company that took over the company a few years ago) notion that "artists" should run the music "business" is clearly misguided. Given the proper backing this album would have been huge.

To sum it up in a sentence? Smokey, sultry soulful notes are the order of the day with a fantastic mix of slow and upbeat numbers. This album is without a doubt Stone's best yet and it's a tragedy that almost no one will know about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Mind The Haters!-Joss Stone Rocks!, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
Outstanding! Full of soul!Probably the best album I've heard in the past twelve months! Check out "4 and 20 Hours"-Superb,smokey,soul/jazz influences,"Mr Wankerman"-a hidden track about twelve minutes long-Live and beyond belief!"Big 'Ol Game"-Slinky,r'n'b grooves!-"I Believe It To My Soul"-A Ray Charles cover -Stonkingly good!-Just brilliant!-Blows virtually every other singer I can think of out of the water!! Far better than her follow-ups to "Soul Sessions"-Don't listen to the haters who criticise Joss's supposed "americanisms"-You can't just "put on" real soul! This is from the heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joss Stone at her best, 7 Jan 2010
R. Carter "Richard" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colour Me Free (Audio CD)
Joss Stone's new album is the songstress at her best - great mix of softer songs such as '4 and 20' and the catchy 'Free Me' and 'Could Have Been You'.

My only disappointment were the use of cover songs ('You Got the Love'), and the frankly amateur attempt at the cover/inset design.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Colour Me Free
Colour Me Free by Joss Stone (Audio CD - 2009)