1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, marvellous ..., 29 Jan 2010
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm not sure I understand why Suzuki's Bach gets so little attention from Amazon reviewers. His growing cantata set is surely the most reliable before the public. And if "reliable" sounds too solid, mechanical or dull then I have used the wrong word. Reliable in this music means "inspired" and "obviously in love with the music" as well as "well played" and "beautifully sung". Without ever intending to I seem to be very slowly collecting Suzuki cantatas and I am doing so because amongst all the Bach cantata recordings that I have bought - including quite a bit of Gardiner and Herreweghe - I slowly discovered that it is the Suzuki recordings that I always return to with the greatest of pleasure. There is more loving care in them along with their impeccable period manners.

This present record is amazing. Three wonderful cantatas performed to perfection. The quality of the solo singing is truly exceptional - notably Carolyn Sampson and, also, Gerd Turk - and everything is so tellingly paced and played. This is wonderful music, given stunningly good performances and very well recorded. The more this repertoire is recorded by performers we revere the more we should come to recognise that Suzuki is one of the greatest of them all for Bach cantata records rarely come up to the standards that are evident here.