Price:£4.00+ £3.90 shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2010
I'm a keen bread-maker, particularly of enriched breads. I've compared brioche made with fresh yeast versus dried yeast and, in a blind tasting, my husband could tell the difference and preferred the one with fresh yeast. Getting fresh yeast is difficult: asking the local baker feels a bit a bit of cheek and even specialist delicatessens rarely stock fresh yeast. I had tried looking on the Internet but commercial suppliers only had very large pack-sizes designed for bakeries. I was thus delighted to find this supplier who would send 500g packs at a very reasonable price. The yeast comes well-packed and chilled in plastic box that can be used to store the yeast in the fridge . Note the advice to leave the lid slightly open to allow air into the block of yeast. The yeast was in perfect condition: moist yet very crumbly and had a date-stamp about 2 weeks beyond the delivery day. I've made four loaves already with the yeast and it performed excellently and produced tasty white, milk, brioche and kugelhof loaves.

I shan't be keeping the yeast in the fridge up to it's use-by-date and instead will be dividing the block into 20/30g cubes, wrapped in clingfilm and frozen rapidly. Later I'll pack the frozen cubes into a freezer box. I've often frozen fresh yeast in this way and found it still works after 6 months of freezing. I defrost the yeast in the fridge. It often becomes runny but this doesn't seem to affect it working. I find the rising times may be longer after the yeast has been frozen but, if anything, this improves the final loaf. I generally use less yeast than suggested in any recipe and thus have longer rising/proving times for the dough. I'm firmly convinced that longer rising times lead to better flavoured bread.

Update October 2010: I'm still using portions of the yeast that I froze in January 2010 and they're still working as good as new, for example, 18g (defrosted in the fridge overnight) was able to raise 3kg of brioche dough, a heavy dough full of eggs and butter: once in the kitchen, again overnight in the fridge and then finally when put in tins and rising for the third time using the bread proving setting in my Neff oven.

Update December 2010: I've just used the last 25g of the block of yeast delivered (and frozen by me in portions) in January 2010 and have placed a further order. This last portion of yeast performed
perfectly after defrosting and made 2 large loaves and six foccacia rolls. Just to make sure it was OK
I made a "sponge" starters for each kind of bread: yeast creamed with blood heat water or water and milk; a pinch of sugar and a tablespoon or so of flour sprinkled over the surface and put in a warm place for about 20 mins (the Neff oven proving setting is ideal). If it froths the yeast is live and ready to work.

January 2011: I've just received my batch of 500g fresh yeast to last me through 2011 and it arrived in perfect condition. I notice that the packaging is even better than last year: a thick, foam insulated envelope plus a gel freezer strip. As before I portioned up the block into 20/25g cubes tightly wrapped in cling-film and deep-frozen. Great value for money: enough to make up to 100 loaves if you use a slow-rise method.
1212 comments|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2010
This yeast is probably only worth buying if you bake bread a lot (and by hand not machine). But I have been baking quite a bit recently, so thought I'd get some. The use by date was good (and the info provided says it is still good to use for a while afterwards too), and half of it went in to freezer (the intructions for what to do are in the pack) to be used well after the use by date.

It has produced very good results in my bread, it rises well, and gives a good network of bubbles in the final product. It has never left a yeasty flavour in the bread. Much better than most dried yeasts, and an improvement on the best dried ones.

Very much recommended.
on 26 October 2010
Arrived in good condition - I crumbled it into a tightly sealed sandwich box and it lives in the freezer until needed. So far it remains in perfect condition. I scrape out what i need onto a saucer on the scales and pop it straight into the water so it doesnt even get runny.
on 2 October 2010
I'm very happy I can finally buy fresh yeast online. The product is very good and the delivery was excellent, very quick. When arrived, I cut the yeast block in 20 small blocks (25g each) and froze them.
on 5 November 2010
After ordering this product last week I encountered a couple of problems. Firstly, the delivery date I was given by Amazon changed by a few days as soon as the sale went through (this was Amazon, not the company I bought yeast from). In order to get some clarification, I emailed the Bertinet office directly. Very quickly, I received an email of apology which gave me the correct delivery date. I was impressed by the speed they replied at this point!

Later on in the week, I received a card through the door from Royal Mail. Now, here is where the problems start. My partner noticed that the card came through the door, but the postie did not knock first. Postie gone gone by the time partner got to door. Soooo annoying! Because of the problems of getting to the sorting office here and its opening times are till lunch time most of the week, I was furious with this!

I again emailed Bertinet office, asked them when it was sent by them, if it had been lying round all week in their oppinion at the Royal Mail Depot and told them about my worries about freshness. They said at this point that they also would be a little concerned about the time it has been left. Even though the yeast is in temp control bags, they said it should be fine to use, but just in case, are going to send me another early next week! It was even taken in to account that I had mentioned I was away this weekend. They did also add that they do not usually have any probs with the delivery.

I love breadmaking and I hate dried yeast. This product seems perfect for my needs and I am glad they offer this level of customer service to go with such a great product.
The Bertinet Company have really impressed me. I would any buy products from them again in a heartbeat!
on 4 February 2011
Brilliant service! ordered 3rd Feb.in the morning, delivered by post the next day in perfect condition. I have been baking my own bread since 1974 obtaining fresh yeast from my local Baker`s shop, now they tell me that their supplers forbid them to sell yeast to retail customers.So it is mail order from now on.
on 4 March 2010
This yeast by post service works really well - reliable delivery a day after despatch, the product lasts for ages - at least a month, and produces very good results. Recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 December 2015
Beautiful fresh yeast. I crumbled it and put the majority in the freezer in a frost resistant container. Great price. It was delivered quickly, although it was left outside my door all day and nobody rang the doorbell. Glad I saw it. Bread is lovely, so different from dried yeast. No problem at all after defrosting....just cream with a little sugar and blood heat water to prove. The taste of bread with fresh yeast is wonderful and worth the extra time. I will not use dried yeast now after this.
on 28 March 2011
Arrived promptly, well wrapped and insulated. I froze half and used the rest over a one month period - it was just as reliable at the end of that time as it had been in the beginning. Used from frozen, in 20g cubes, it was fine. I'm convinced that the rise is not only better with fresh yeast, but also more robust; any problems just before going in the oven, and it still rises some more while baking.
on 5 March 2010
This fresh yeast arrived promptly in first class condition. It keeps in perfect condition for at least a month in the fridge, also freezes well cut and wrapped in individual portions, loses none of its rising qualities. Highly recommendedFresh yeast (500g)

See one answered question