4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished Debut, 4 Nov. 2009
AJS (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
Pythia are a strong ambitious coalition of musicians from diverse backgrounds meshed together to produce an accomplished power metal debut album that is tinged and enhanced with a touch of the operatic (vocals), gothic (lyrics) and even a progressive feel in the quieter moments.

The album opens at top speed with Sweet Cantation, Emily Ovenden's powerful vocals soaring above some meaty metal riffs; followed by one of the high points of the album the Sarah Bury Her - with interweaving chunky guitars accompanying Emily's voice, further enhanced & coloured by synthesisers.

Tristan starts off quietly and sombrely, but soon the tempo changes with some very effective guitar riffs and echoing synthesiser as Emily bursts into her "dark lord hold me" chorus.

Ride for Glory is driven on by some frantic drumming, literally at a charging pace, with Boadacea like vocals at the fore.

Army of the Dammed, is another frenetic song, with super sonic guitar bursts that ends, unexpectively, with Brian Blessed expressively reading a sad, anti war, poem, echoing the hell of the first world war trenches.

No Compromise is exactly that, as the power guitar riffs rage on with Emily's soprano vocals leading the way, with piano and synthesiser adding an interesting counter point in the quieter sections.

Overall, a worthwhile listenable album that grows on you the more you hear it, and the material is probably great to experience live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut, 28 Dec. 2009
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
An English power metal band fronted by Emily Alice Ovenden? Surely that's too much to wish for. I must be dreaming.

Pythia sound a bit like Stratovarius and early Sonata Arctica, most songs being partly in-your-face melodic power/speed metal, but with Emily performing all kinds of vocal gymnastics. I was already familiar, or so I thought, with Emily's voice with the Mediaeval Baebes and Celtic Legend, but I had no idea she could sing like this; it is quite a revelation. My favourite track is 'My Pale Prince' on which her voice just soars, with some great riffs. This track I think shows the most promise and hopefully the way forward. The single 'Sarah' which is available to listen to on their myspace site isn't typical of the CD (although there is a bit of variety) and is not the best track in my opinion. 'Army of the Damned' is also very good, with an infectious gothic chant.

There are some great riffs, too, and some good keyboards; I believe the keyboard player is the classical influence. It is all well produced. I don't think there are any strings, at least I can't see any credited, but they don't really need them as the keyboards are so good (intro to 'My Pale Prince' a good example).

There are no male growls, which wouldn't work here, but in places the guitars are perhaps a bit too crunchy, raw and overpowering, which is the only thing I can say against it. Sometimes it feels there's too much going on when I just want to hear Emily! Emily has also written some great lyrics.

If you like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, and wouldn't mind something a little bit more raw and powerful, then I think you will like this CD. I wasn't sure whether to give it 4 or 5, but then I love Emily, so it had to be 5.

OK, you can wake me up now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pythia- the english Nightwish?, 12 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of Nightwish prior to Tarja leaving then this is the album for you. As a Mediaeval Baebes fan I wanted to hear Emily Ovenden sing with a band. I was not dissapointed, her clear as crystal voice shines out through the heavy backing and the lyrics easily understood. No one track stands out for me although Sarah (bury her) offers a slightly different atmosphere to the other tracks. A good buy, especially to hear Emily.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great CD, 27 Nov. 2009
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
Pythia is an aquired tatse but the more I listen the more I like. The tracks are multi layered, lots going on. Emilys voice is silky smooth and great to listen to. The CD graphics are very nice to. A great start for this new band, more please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 14 Mar. 2013
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
Pythia are a great addition to the uk metal scene.The style of operatic metal is not new but Pythia make it sound fresh by being more of a power metal band with good songs,an excellent operatic singer and less of the old symphonics and more dynamics.Some truly great songs lie here and the atmosphere of a mythical Olde England seems familiar in the best possible way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Metal, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
Probably the greatest new metal album I've heard this year - and the best metal with female vocals since hearing Warlock in the 80s. I think if you like Nightwish/Lacuna Coil etc then you'll love this, each song stands out, amazing album. ROCK

5.0 out of 5 stars totally stunning, 30 Mar. 2010
Nicholas Steele "Bookwwww" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
I am totally blown away by Pythia and this album, I keep listening to it again and again I am going to see them live soon, totally stunning I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 18 May 2012
N. Irshad (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath The Veiled Embrace (Audio CD)
The first album by the band is marginally better than the current one. Emily Alice (she of Celtic legend and Medieval Baebes) on vocals, she is also the songwriter. Think Nightwish with Tarja and you get the idea.

Beneath The Veiled Embrace
Beneath The Veiled Embrace by Pythia (Audio CD - 2009)