Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 February 2010
A nice record by street singer Grandpa Elliot (Elliot Small) from New Orleans, who also plays simple but effective harmonica. Elliot sounds like Ted Hawkins, another former street musician, with a rich warm voice and a similar repertoire of old soul, gospel and blues. He has good backing from a very competent band and everything rolls along nicely until we get to a live version of Buster Brown's blues "Fannie Mae" which I didn't think worked at all. My favourite tracks were the medley "This little light of mine" and his version of Little Milton's "We're going to make it".
on 7 January 2012
An amazing voice that tough the soul. I've discovered him and others artists by listening at the playing for change youtube channel. Give it a look!
on 11 May 2011
I was expecting the style of music to be more in the vein of the "Playing for Change" videos on YouTube - more of a raw, bluesy feel. This album is quite "produced" with a sweet, full sound. It's not plain and simple blues, but it has a nice feel and is a good listen. I recommend it.
on 9 February 2014
Grandpa Elliott has been singing for years on the streets of New Orleans but is now a major performer in the Playing for Change movement. He has become one of their star attractions with his melifluous tone and his brilliant harmonica playing. Seeing him performing is a large part of the attraction, he sings soul with a deep conviction. His album is good and makes very pleasant listening, but I think I prefer watching him performing live on the Playing for Change videos where his true depths and talent become more evident.
on 4 March 2013
I brought this for a friend but loved it myself what a great voice Grandpa has got I could not believe it
on 26 September 2015
What a lovely voice and a good choice of songs
on 31 July 2015