5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth the wait!
I finally had mine delivered today after a 2 month pre-order wait direct from Nokia. I have to say this phone is like no other I have ever used (and I've had many phones from all manufacturers over the years). Firstly it is stunning to look at and the pictures do not do it justice. It is extremely well made, feels solid with all aspects of the hardware feeling very...
Published on 28 Nov 2009 by Andreas Iacovou

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia has lost it!
Published on 13 Aug 2011 by ken

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing my n900, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nokia N900 Sim Free Mobile Computer with Maemo 5 Software (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I got the n900 around 18 months ago and loved it, it was great to use, had loads of features and for me anyway decent battery life.

Then upgrade time came around.....

And I thought I'll go for an android device everyone says how great it is, so got an LG Optimus 2x, which is horrendous! I still have my n900 so I'm going to copy my contacts, photos, etc and put my sim back into the n900 as it is far far, better!

5.0 out of 5 stars After 18 months..., 5 May 2011
I've had phone for 18 months now, and I may just replace with an identical one.

The highlights for are:
- Quick browsing. Don't bother with mobile sites, I want the same website on my pc and my mobile. The n900 can deliver this. Crystal clear screen makes browsing easy.
- Music. I have a 32gb micro sd card and have all my music from itunes and playlists.
- FM transmitter. I can play my music through my car radio while driving (does need to be on-charge).
- Flip out keyboard, but it does make it chunky.
- Different. I don't want to be an iphone clone.

I'm considering waiting for the n950.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alien Tech, 9 Nov 2010
the device has stretched many boundaries and still amazes me every day.
i have hacked my own wlan network at home using the x termianl and a third party App.
Customised the menu functions and desktops to suite me. saved an entire boxset onto my phone to watch and keep me busy on the commute. i once had 5 movies on my phone. view PDF, exel, word, powerpoint, and websiteds documents as if on a PC or a laptop.a gazzilion of appps that are easy to download for free.
Key board is brilliant and easy to use.
Realy Amazing display as even AVI video formats are also supported by the device.\

cons
Battery: with all that power you will run out of juice so a spare bl-5j battery will be helpfull.
Root Directory: took me 12 hours to figure out the x terminal and how to get to root directory.
WLAN manager is also annoying and gives u limited options
some functions like the little heart shaped icon or sub menu at the center top are hard to find.
the hand set is a bit heavy but thats not a big concern.

over all this phone or mini computer is ment for a geek like me not a guy like my dad who killed my PC mouse.
i would take the N900 over the dell streak, or any Archios media thingy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia has lost it!, 13 Aug 2011
The N900 had a potential of being a great smartphone. However, its bulky size, lack of applications, and an OS which Nokia had abandoned has left this phone dead in the water. I had this phone for 7 months after which one day I did an update of the software to P.R 1.3 .After this the phone was normal for a short while, The screen went black and there was no display. Since the phone was still under waranty, I sent it to nokia for repairs. To my greatest surprise, Nokia sent it back without repairing it. I sent it back to them and due to their delay it's waranty expired. They then claimed the phone has motherboard failure and they can't repair it. I coughed out a hard earned 380 to buy this phone. I'm done buying any nokia phone of any sort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it even after 2 years!, 20 Aug 2012
K. Hook - See all my reviews
I think I've had my N900 for 2 or more years now and I still love it. I recently looked at possibly upgrading - but there's no point, there's still nothing that compares. If it goes wrong I'll probably get another one! If you want more than a phone, this is definitely the one to get.

It's my phone, mp3 player, satnav and computer. The 32gb gives plenty of storage and holds all my music. Connectivity is great, I'm always logged in to gchat, which is great for contact from international friends. The camera is pretty sharp and takes clear photos with a good flash. It's not as good as a proper camera, but I can't complain. It's also remarkably robust, I have a screen protector on it but no case and it's survived being dropped multiple times with almost no scratches!

It's not perfect, battery life could be better and the computer software seems to be repackaged from android devices and doesn't like the N900, making it hard to sync. (Though to be fair I haven't tried to upgrade it in at least a year, the issue may be fixed.) There's also no redial button on the phone, which is slightly irritating. But these are all minor niggles on what is an amazing device!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still A Wonderful Phone, 27 Mar 2012
N. Berry - See all my reviews
This phone is now about 3 years old but there is still no other open source Linux phone commonly available. If this is something that attracts you (as it did me) then you may want to know if a 3 year old phone can provide a rich user experience. In short yes it can, this is still a superb phone that can hold it's own against much newer models. I will now go into more detail but I will say first of all that I'm not an experienced Linux user but i am savvy enough to learn and follow online instructions so that's where my perspective comes from.

Build Quality:
This is a mixed one for me. The phone is very chunky and you're unlikely to find a phone as thick as this on the current market. On the plus side it does feel very nice in the hand and the case feels high quality.

The hardware features some fantastic features that I wish more phones had.

Firstly the camera lens cover is lovely and starts the camera as soon as it's opens. This keeps everything clean and combined with the physical camera button makes taking photos feel like a regular camera. I actually think that the picture quality is superb. It's only 5mp but (and I'm not a camera expert by any means) the pictures just turn out so much better than on my Motorola Milestone with the same spec. The camera also focuses very quickly and seems to compensate for my shaky hands.

The other feature I love is the kick stand that flips out from around the camera lens. It's such a small thing but it just makes watching video and browsing the internet over coffee so much easier.

The screen is generally superb. I was very wary of buying something with a resistive touch screen after spending so much time with capacitive but actually I really love it. Sure you do have to press a little harder but it also feels more precise and the stylus is great for more fiddly operations that prove difficult on capacitive screens. The screen quality is lovely with a very high pixel density and great colors. In my opinion the viewing quality is still up there with the best. My one reservation is that I have concerns with the build quality of the screen. It's very prone to scratches but this isn't a problem if you're very careful with it but just bear in mind that it's not gorilla glass. My major concern is that within a day of using it two bright spots appeared on the screen. i think this is something to do with the heat of a few components under the screen and it's a common fault. Now it only shows on whit backgrounds and it's not a huge deal but I do expect better of what is still an expensive phone.

Now let me move on to the user experience. I could spend ages raving about this but let me just say that I love it and I'll detail a few reasons why.

On a basic level everything just works effortlessly. This phone has a reputation as a hobbyist's phone but that does it an injustice. Every feature it offers works perfectly. To give an example I noticed a little icon in the media player saying 'Your PC'. Upon clicking it the phone immediately started to stream music from my desktop PC. The wifi signal is superb and gives me better range than any other device I own. The FM radio transmitter (a nice feature) is great produces a much clearer signal than my dedicated unit. The internet radio connects quickly and to date has never dropped.

I love Maemo's homepages because they are completely customisable. Android lets you add icons but it's grid based and restricts what you can put on it. On the N900 you can place any icon anywhere. For example on one page I have all of my bookmarks which update in real-time and on another I have my most used contacts which shows a clear picture of them.

The multi tasking on this phone hasn't in my opinion been beaten to date. It runs a vast number of programs in the background without slowdown and unlike other OS' they carry on running. If you're playing a game it'll carry on running while you look at a website. This is still class leading and you'll miss it if you swap back to other operating systems.

The web browsing is still great although not quite as class leading as it once was. In terms of rendering a website like a desktop it's still the best out there. What's more you can bring up a virtual cursor which makes interacting with things like flash games very easy. The main problem is that the phone still operates flash 9 whereas most modern phones run flash 10. This means that some web videos won't run but I should add that quite a few do. Youtube for example is fine.

I've rambled on for ages without even mentioning it's capabilities as a Linux device but I really just wanted to say that the N900 still holds up well today and if it's open source nature attracts you then buy it. I've been using it for a month and I adore it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but fantastic N900, 9 Jun 2011
Had my N900 for 6 months now. Overall I think it's fantastic - with powerful capabilities wrapped in a quirky interface. I keep finding new functions and new ways of using it - I have been looking at getting a 7" tablet and have not done so as frankly the N900 does it all anyway! I do my email, review word, excel, powerpoint and pdf attachments on it. Web browsing is great as is the music capabilities - though the player is fairly functional. Typically run 6-8 applications at a time (try that Iphone!) Battery life is pretty good - 2-3 days of light use and 1 day for heavy use. Camera is great of course. Some good apps on the Maemo market place too. Keyboard makes typing so much better than virtual keyboards. Customisation of the interface ensures that you never get bored of the look and feel. Negatives? Picking up incoming phonecalls can be a bit frustrating sometimes - if you have multiple applications on the go and web is on, sometimes you can miss the call. Some people might find the interface challenging - you need to invest a little time in getting used to it - but the N900 rewards that. Recommended - it's a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, 17 Jan 2011
Hi

Have had my Nokia N900 for just about a year now.
So far have not had anything go wrong with it.

Its really good for listing to Internet Radio straight from web sites through the FM Trainmitter on the main radio which means I don't have to have the PC on.
Also watching youtube videos is good on the phone.

I have over 2000 tracks on here and still only using about 2GB.
Its also a really good phone it you like Facebook and Facebook chat however it won't play Facebook games.

The camera and video are OK as well.
If you like playing games though I think iphone 4 will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars All in one Excellence, 30 Dec 2010
Kiwi (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
I've just received my Nokia N900 and its fantastic. I can view texts, emails and talk using Facebook Chat, IM or Google Talk providing I have an internet connection all on this device.

Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bit of kit, 26 April 2010
Decided after much deliberation to upgrade to the N900 and am really impressed. Sturdy handset, the resistive touch screen is very accurate and a joy to use. Maemo 5 is a stunning OS, the main menus have a Symbian feel to them but that's very much where the similarity ends. The 4 customizable home screens allow you to set up your device exactly as you want it and the device multitasks with ease. Considering this is a tablet with phone functionality I have found the N900 be much improved on my previous Nokia phones, call and contacts functionality are intuitive and easy to use and the call quality is as clear as a bell.. Also with the potential of a future upgrade to the new MeeGo OS hopefully this device will also have the longevity that some of its counterparts lack

ARRAY(0xafdef33c)