5.0 out of 5 stars Remote for Canon EOS 500D
This remote is much cheaper than the Canon original, but works just as well on my Canon EOS 500d with no problems. Highly recommended.
Published on 4 Nov. 2009 by BT

3.0 out of 5 stars RC-5 Wireless Remote for Canon
This wireless remote is not a genuine Canon item, but is produced by YONGNUO Digital, sold by BV electronics.
It arrived very promptly, and was well packaged, but didn't work.

It doesn't come with any operating instructions, so after re-reading the Camera Operating instructions which detail how to use it, I decided to replace the battery.

It had...
Published on 6 July 2010 by Marty

5.0 out of 5 stars Remote for Canon EOS 500D, 4 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Wireless Remote Control for Canon 300D,350D,400D,450D,500D 550D 600D 650D 700D 60D T2i as RC-5 RC5. (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 24 Dec. 2009
Mr. W. P. Maxwell (Bourne, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I have a Canon 500d, I just set my camera to remote setting, press the button on the remote.. job done! simple!.
Well worth the money, could not see it worth paying for a Canon one for 30quid when this does the job for much less.
Quick delivery even on standard post, I got mine right near to Christmas within 3days. Cheers.

3.0 out of 5 stars RC-5 Wireless Remote for Canon, 6 July 2010
It arrived very promptly, and was well packaged, but didn't work.

It had arrived with a CR-2025 Lithium Cell fitted, even though the battery compartment is marked up for it to be fitted with a CR-2032. They are the same diameter and voltage, but the CR-2025 is much thinner so possibly wasn't making proper contact. I then noticed the date code on the CR-2025 that it had shipped with was 03/10, which I assume means March 2010, so it's already 4 months past it's expiry date, so maybe dead.

Having fitted a new CR-2032, it then worked fine.
It seems good for the price, and if it had worked out of the box would have had 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This remote works with Canon EOS 400D, 1 Nov. 2010
The unit arrived fitted with a CR2025 battery, contrary to the information on the battery compartment which indicated a CR2032 was required. When I first tried it I could get it to work only at a distance of about 10 cm. Replaced the installed CR2025 with CR2032 and it was fine from a distance of 10 metres or so. Oddly, after replacing the CR2025, the remote worked perfectly at this greater distance. A direct line of sight with the sensor on the front of the camera is mostly necessary, but from behind the camera it is possible to bounce the signal off walls. I bought this wireless remote solely to reduce camera shake when digiscoping with a telescope attached. It is ideal for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Canon EOS 350D SLR, 23 Jan. 2010
Delivery very prompt.

Worked immediately after I checked my EOS350 manual to see how to use it. You need to press the timer button on the camera once it is set up ready to shoot.Step away and point the remote at the camera and hey presto. Had fun taking pictures of myself at varying distances.

Very pleased so far with a product compared to the Canon procduct seen at 7 times the price. Only time will tell regarding build quality but at this price.......Wireless Remote Control for Canon 300D,350D,400D,450D,500D as RC-5 RC5.

Other reviewers had issued with quality - March 2013 mine is still working. CR2032 battery a little awkward to change. you have to press in a tiny lug whilst pulling battery tray out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for 90% less, 4 Feb. 2010
J. Heyes (UK) - See all my reviews
I normally insist on genuine Canon accessories, but given that this one won't actually touch my precious 450D, I thought I'd give it a try, given the 90% saving compared to the RRP £30 Canon version. Works perfectly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 21 Jan. 2011
Cheap as chips and really easy to use. No set up was required - just pull out the tab and select remote shooting on the camera and it works straight away. 2 things to be aware of though; 1)the sensor is in front of the camera, so it doesnt work from behind, and 2) you can't half press the button to focus - it just works like a 2 second self timer. If you need that ability, you can get a tethered push button shutter control, but this is so cheap its worth having anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but lacks functionalities compared to the canon one, 6 Nov. 2011
I purchased this item as I wanted to try different photography techniques and I wanted to make sure there was no camera shake (without having to use self-timer, which isn't relevant when in Bulb mode). The remote control works fine although I do have to press a few times on the odd case, which is a little annoying. But the one thing that frustrates me the most is that there is no switch at the back. Switch?? Well, yes:

The Canon version of this product has a switch on the back which allows you to chose between an immediate shutter release or a 2-second delay. The 2-sec delay is useful for self portraits as you probably don't want your arm in mid-air pointing at the camera, but I guess in other cases, you would want the shutter to release immediately.

With the cheaper alternative, you don't have the switch. The remote control only works with a 2-sec timer and I can't change that (I would love to hear whether you have the same issue actually!). This can become quite annoying. It may be totally irrelevant for you but as an example, I was shooting fireworks tonight and my shooting was a bit of a hit and miss as I needed to press the remote control button 2 seconds before the fireworks would pop... After ages trying to figure out why my camera wouldn't let me change that, I realised that it is because it's a setting on the remote, control by a switch on the back, a switch missing in this cheaper product.

So I guess this is an ok buy if you will seldom use it and don't mind the 2-sec timer, or if you are not sure whether you would really use it, want to practice and don't want to invest I guess. But as soon as my next pay-cheque comes, I'm getting the Canon one.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant item, 18 Feb. 2010
I bought this to use with my Canon 450D when using a tripod to avoid camera shake.
It was so easy to set up, just set the camera to self timer/remote and away you go. worked perfectly first time. Great value and was delivery promtly within two days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeeze the battery compartment - or change to correct battery, 2 Jan. 2011
Nutty_in_Poggioni (Brighton, UK and Cortona, Italy) - See all my reviews
Following advice of other reviewers, I thought this device didn't work. It came with CR2025 battery which doesn't fit properly... so you need to squeeze the dimpled area and at the same time press the silver button (and it works fine with Canon 350D). Or change better to CR 2032 which is a snug fit... Thank heavens for the internet, reader reviews -- the only way we mere mortals can undertstand the Chinese products that are sold with no instructions!