4.0 out of 5 stars Get a bigger one - I have
I bought the AA 950g fire extinguisher in November because my old car extinguisher was looking a bit tatty and we were going to France for a late holiday.
Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by itinerant

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money
This item is cheap and nasty and not fit for purpose
As a retired firefighter I would not recomend this for firefighting and I doubt if it would work in an emergency.
On trying to mount mine in the car the plastic components fell out of the extinguisher and would not fit back in rendering it useless.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. J. E. Horrocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Get a bigger one - I have, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: AA Car Essentials Fire Extinguisher 950g Bsi App (Automotive)
This evening, 30 December, my neighbour's car caught fire outside the house. Oil dripping from engine. Provided extinguisher from my car boot. Worked splendidly, fire went out, but reignited and cylinder was empty. Fire brigade arrived moments later so all well.
Just ordered the 1.5Kg one from Amazon, imho. bigger should be better and it's only £25.00, so the new one will sit in the car unused for another 10 years like all the others since the '50s. but I'm glad I had it when needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good job., 27 Feb. 2013
The firing trigger, and guard to avoid accidental discharge are a bit flimsy, could have been designed better. This product has been designed to a price, so I can't really complain about that, I probably wouldn't have paid 3 times the price for one. Hope the Mrs doesn't fill the car with white powder trying to get something out of the door pocket...

Comes with a bracket if you wanted to use it. If not the slim design means it fits in the door pockets in both my cars. Pretty good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ageing stock?, 27 Aug. 2012
I think if a product has an expiry date 5 years after its manufacture - like this one - then the date of manufacture should be clearly displayed. The one I bought was manufactured at some point during 2011 and expires in 2016. This means after then it will no longer be 'legal' when travelling to European countries where its compulsory to carry this item. We are rapidly nearing the end of 2012, so I would say its price should actually have been reduced by 20%.
Apart from that it's a fire extinguisher and - as other writers have said - I hope to never need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check manufacturing date, 2 July 2012
D. S. Boxall - See all my reviews
Nice size, came with holder to attach to vehicle, only thing delivered July 2012 marked made in 2011 with 5 year warranty to expire 2016, so in fact item expires in 4 years time, item has been on shelf for a year before sold, check dates

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire Extinguisher, 25 Aug. 2011
The fire extinguisher arrived before the expected time. It is compact and fits neatly in the boot of the car. Hopefully, it will not be necessary to use it, but reassuring to know it is there if the occasion arises!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for car, 21 Feb. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
How do you know how good it is unless you use it? Fortunately, in a fit of health and safety consciousness my work place bought a few of these for the cars. We decided to test one for a bit of fun and to make sure they were fit for purpose.

In a controlled yard, a 4 foot square tray of fuel was ignited and given a few seconds to get going. The extinguisher was duly deployed. The wannabe fireman had not read the instructions, but instinctively knew to pull the yellow tab out and press the lever. Result was a good blast of powder that came out in a steady jet that, over the space of about 8 feet, fanned out to smother the tray (with some back and forth action). The blast wasn't so powerful that it blew fuel out of the tray, but enough to cover a distance that you didn't have to stand too close. The fire went out quickly but we kept it going to be sure. I can't say if anything bigger than the 4 foot square would have gone out, but I probably wouldn't want to be tackling something like that.

These are designed for small car fires and as such in a well ventilated areas. Be mindful that if using in a small enclosed garage that any air being displaced by the smoke could be exacerbated when the powder enters the equation. Then again, anything other than a small fire is not going to be put out by this.

Also note that these are only for flammable liquid (excluding cooking fats and oils) and electrical fires. It will probably extinguish wood and paper fires, but they will likely re-ignite as they continue to smoulder.

Our test satisfied us that it could put out a small fire, but anything bigger and I'll leave it to the professionals! Handy to have and a small price to play for a little added security. Comes with a clip for anchoring it securely in the car so it isn't rolling around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire Extinguisher, 16 July 2010
Nick Noakes (Cheshire - England) - See all my reviews
Bought three - one for the kitchen and one for each of the cars. Small enough for discrete storage, look heavey duty enough to tackle the job required of them. Should have bought them years ago. Hope to never use them but gives some peace of mind for the 'what if' situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars worked well, 26 Nov. 2010
used 48 hrs after purchase at rtc,

car on fire with driver still in car. all well

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 4 Sept. 2014
This item is cheap and nasty and not fit for purpose

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring!, 18 Feb. 2013
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this extinguisher to make sure that if I'm involved in a car fire or, someone else is, we have some means of attempting to deal with it in the early stages. I am reassured by the pedigree of this AA extinguisher which looks as though it means business - whilst easily portable its 950g capacity should be enough for a small fire, and, if it's worse than that I'll probably need the Fire Service. A mounting bracket is included. It has a five year expiry date and is robust enough to stand the rigours of life on the road. An important piece of kit from a respected organisation and approved to BSI Standards. It's really critical that you read the product details on this page relating to the use of this product - they contain lots of important and useful information. Recommended.