on 30 December 2011
I bought the AA 950g fire extinguisher in November because my old car extinguisher was looking a bit tatty and we were going to France for a late holiday.
This evening, 30 December, my neighbour's car caught fire outside the house. Oil dripping from engine. Provided extinguisher from my car boot. Worked splendidly, fire went out, but reignited and cylinder was empty. Fire brigade arrived moments later so all well.
Just ordered the 1.5Kg one from Amazon, imho. bigger should be better and it's only £25.00, so the new one will sit in the car unused for another 10 years like all the others since the '50s. but I'm glad I had it when needed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 February 2014
How do you know how good it is unless you use it? Fortunately, in a fit of health and safety consciousness my work place bought a few of these for the cars. We decided to test one for a bit of fun and to make sure they were fit for purpose.

In a controlled yard, a 4 foot square tray of fuel was ignited and given a few seconds to get going. The extinguisher was duly deployed. The wannabe fireman had not read the instructions, but instinctively knew to pull the yellow tab out and press the lever. Result was a good blast of powder that came out in a steady jet that, over the space of about 8 feet, fanned out to smother the tray (with some back and forth action). The blast wasn't so powerful that it blew fuel out of the tray, but enough to cover a distance that you didn't have to stand too close. The fire went out quickly but we kept it going to be sure. I can't say if anything bigger than the 4 foot square would have gone out, but I probably wouldn't want to be tackling something like that.

These are designed for small car fires and as such in a well ventilated areas. Be mindful that if using in a small enclosed garage that any air being displaced by the smoke could be exacerbated when the powder enters the equation. Then again, anything other than a small fire is not going to be put out by this.

Also note that these are only for flammable liquid (excluding cooking fats and oils) and electrical fires. It will probably extinguish wood and paper fires, but they will likely re-ignite as they continue to smoulder.

Our test satisfied us that it could put out a small fire, but anything bigger and I'll leave it to the professionals! Handy to have and a small price to play for a little added security. Comes with a clip for anchoring it securely in the car so it isn't rolling around.
on 2 July 2012
Nice size, came with holder to attach to vehicle, only thing delivered July 2012 marked made in 2011 with 5 year warranty to expire 2016, so in fact item expires in 4 years time, item has been on shelf for a year before sold, check dates
on 27 August 2012
I think if a product has an expiry date 5 years after its manufacture - like this one - then the date of manufacture should be clearly displayed. The one I bought was manufactured at some point during 2011 and expires in 2016. This means after then it will no longer be 'legal' when travelling to European countries where its compulsory to carry this item. We are rapidly nearing the end of 2012, so I would say its price should actually have been reduced by 20%.
Apart from that it's a fire extinguisher and - as other writers have said - I hope to never need it.
on 12 August 2014
I have brought this extinguisher 3 times to accompany me on my camping trips. I deceided it would be a good idea to test it out on an open fire, unfortunately when I pulled the pin the extinguisher seemed to already been decompressed as I got a small dribble of powder.

I put that down to the 1 extinguisher being defective as oppose to the whole product so rebrought a week later. This time when we went camping I wanted to see it in action after the previous disappointment. However, once again the extinguisher failed to deliver and was as useful as a pair of gloves for a fish.

So I thought "enoughs enough" and gave it one last shot. Next Camping trip was now or never! When the item arrived (on express delivery) the tag had already been broken, I was hoping it was still compressed as the whole pin was still in tact, and brought it with me for a field test; Third and final time… aaaaand… nothing. Useless, not even a dribble!

The best thing about this extinguisher is smashing it against a rock and seeing a whole forest engulfed in powder for a small time, and although delivery is always perfectly on time and very quick, a can of deodorant is more effective than this extinguisher. If you want something you can trust then please spend that little bit extra and buy something which isn't this and let the AA get back to doing what they do best, fixing cars and reviewing hotels.

J.S
on 4 September 2014
This item is cheap and nasty and not fit for purpose
As a retired firefighter I would not recomend this for firefighting and I doubt if it would work in an emergency.
On trying to mount mine in the car the plastic components fell out of the extinguisher and would not fit back in rendering it useless.
on 16 July 2010
Bought three - one for the kitchen and one for each of the cars. Small enough for discrete storage, look heavey duty enough to tackle the job required of them. Should have bought them years ago. Hope to never use them but gives some peace of mind for the 'what if' situations.
on 26 November 2010
used 48 hrs after purchase at rtc,

car on fire with driver still in car. all well
on 27 February 2013
The firing trigger, and guard to avoid accidental discharge are a bit flimsy, could have been designed better. This product has been designed to a price, so I can't really complain about that, I probably wouldn't have paid 3 times the price for one. Hope the Mrs doesn't fill the car with white powder trying to get something out of the door pocket...

Comes with a bracket if you wanted to use it. If not the slim design means it fits in the door pockets in both my cars. Pretty good job.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 May 2016
I'm in the fire safety business and think it may be useful to explain what you're actually getting here.

The different classes of fire are identified by letters as follows:
Class A - Solid fires e.g. Wood, paper, fabrics, plastics etc
Class B - Liquid fires (and liquifiable solids) e.g. fuel, oil, paints, waxes etc
Class C - Gas fires e.g. Butane, Propane etc
Class D - Metal fires e.g. Magnesium, Titanium etc
Class F - Cooking Oil fires e.g. Sunflower oil, olive oil etc
Note: There is no class for electrical fires, but if you see the electrical lightning bolt symbol on the extinguisher it is safe for electrical fires.

This extinguisher is advertised correctly as a BC Powder but is that the best sort of extinguisher for the job? If you look above, you will see that the extinguisher is rated for flammable liquid fires (class B) and gas fires (class C) and it will be safe for electrical fires also. But what about other materials? If you're buying this for the home or for your vehicle then I would recommend you look for an ABC powder. This will have the added capability to better deal with class A fires - those that involve general combustibles like wood, plastics, paper, fabrics etc. I would also recommend that the smallest size you look at would be a 2kg extinguisher. If you look around you should be able to find a 2kg ABC Powder extinguisher for under £15.
The one for sale here is an aerosol type. I would recommend the extinguisher you buy has a gauge on it so you can see if it has pressure in it. If the one for sale here developed a fault and leaked its pressure, you'd have no idea if it was going to work until you actually needed to use it.

**** I hope you found my review helpful. If so, please click on the YES button to say so. If you think otherwise, I'm sorry about that, but before you click on the "no" button to say I was unhelpful, please leave me a comment with your thoughts. I might be able to improve the review so it can be as helpful as it could be. ****