5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published on 22 April 2010 by Numinous Ugo

3.0 out of 5 stars Back in the 70'ies
Published on 20 Feb 2010 by Jens Hede Jensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Colours (Audio CD)
I saw Colours with John Marshall on drums when they were touring to promote the Little Movements. This was part Platform Jazz that saw great jazz acts tour Scotland including Weber but also Stan Tracey, Eddie Lockjaw Davis etc,This band were a pure joy. I hold these albums are amongst my most treasured. Because this was the only opportunity to see top class jazz in Dundee all the old jazz fans came to everything, at the interval I heard two more mature members of the audience talking, one said to the other, "Well it's not Dave Brubeck is it" This is jazz in the European tradition which was championed by ECM. I do love all this stuff but clearly the American blues based jazz tradition is also hugely important. It is key to realise that you do not need to choose one or the other.

There is a unifying feel to the music here although John Christensen's drum sound has a definite distinctive sound to it. I later heard a Tommy Smith album and knew it must be Christensen playing the drums. John Marshall however rises to the occasion well and adds a slightly different hue to Colours. The interplay between Weber and Bruninghaus is almost magical. Weber's "special" bass allows him to build up complex rhythms in the minimalist tradition of Glass and Reich but the real beauty of this music is when that tension is released by melodic flourishes of stunning beauty.

This is not jazz that you can dance to, Weber in later years acknowledged that he had move in a direction that made his music something other than jazz. I saw him playing solo where he introduced a swinging jazz number that he built up in layer in his bass (with digital echo and delay) before our very ears. He said "There are rumours going about that I used to be a jazz musician" Well I think he still was and this band was great. Check out also Solstice and Sound and Shadows where Weber and Christensen team up with Jan Garbarek under Ralph Towner's leadership.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back in the 70'ies, 20 Feb 2010
Jens Hede Jensen "Von der Heide" (Aarhus, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours (Audio CD)
Back in the seventies is sounds like most jazzmen were SO afraid of playing a tune that sounded smooth, sing-along or just nice to hear. So they often speeded up their way too many notes and made it awkward and difficult. I guess you need to be at least a bit intoxicated to listen to that and enjoy. I find this 3 CD album as an interesting memorial to this period of time in modern jazz. But I so much better like the more mature music from early nineties and forward.

Colours
Colours by Eberhard Weber (Audio CD - 2009)