1,234 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product
Build Quality: Very good, can be bent if you squeeze it, but never under the simple pressure of a laptop with hands resting on it. Think of it as a big ring binder with holes in the top, and two fans attached in the middle (blowing upwards).

Published on 5 April 2011 by Another Indebted Student

3.0 out of 5 stars 'tis Good
Decided to order this for my new laptop when I noticed it getting hot after gaming for awhile. I have a Dell Studio 17 so it was important that I get a mat which fits a 17" laptop, this seemed like the best choice. Slightly disappointed upon trying it to find that it's about an inch smaller than it should be, but not really a catastrophic issue.

The fans are...
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Marcello

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad 2 fans laptop cooler fits 15"-17" (Electronics)

Noise: If you're the kind of person who works in a dead quiet room, then the noise emmited from the fans is noticeable. But then again so is the noise of the wind outside. If you have music on, or are working infront of a tv, or even in an office, you won't hear them at all. The fans are about half as loud as my laptop fans when my laptop heats up. So in reality having them on can actually cuts the fan noise by 50%.

That being said, if you really can't stand fan noise you can just not have the fans on. Given that the air circulates well under the laptop, that your machine is raised slightly by rubber pads and that there are more ventilation holes in the product than on a cheese grater, the laptop is well ventilated just by sitting on the chill mat.

Cooling: Partly already covered in the noise bit, but definately has an effect. The two fans are excellent, blowing a good flow of room temperature air onto the laptop. I use a program called "speed fan" which effectively lets you control fan speeds in your laptop, but more importantly tells you what temperature various parts of your laptop are. When gaming, both my processor cores and graphics card got insanely hot, to the point where the air coming out of the fan vent could scold the skin if left too long. With the fans on, the temperature drops anywhere between 6-8C (by about 10%).

In regular use, my core temperatures drop by well over 10C, by about 20%.

All in all, its a solid product, it's a good buy. I bought one for my self a few months back, and have just purchased one for another family member as we now fight over using it when wanting to watch a film before sleep.

P&P: comes very well packaged in somewhat excessive amounts of bubblewrap, but its good to know they want it to be safe.

Conclusion: Excellent product, one of the best buys i've made online in a while. Much better than other strangely shaped cooling pads which I can only imagine become a game balancing laptops on. Don't buy the cooling fans which claim to suck air away from the laptop, they just plain don't work.

All in all, great product, great buy. I no longer use my laptop without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop mat!, 21 April 2010
I have a well spec'ed 17.4 laptop and this mat lets me use my laptop in bed,on the sofa,in my lap etc.

Because my laptop is 17.4 and not 17, it slightly protrudes to the left and right sides,but it is still comfortable to carry around while still on the stand.

I've never had a reason to turn on the 2 fans, because I did not buy the stand for an overheating laptop,but for one that does not like soft surfaces as its intake fan is on the bottom. But if you decide to turn them on, its as easy as plugging an USB cable and the noise is not loud. Also the fans blow the air up, meaning they provide the laptop with fresh cool air, rather than sucking out the hot air and torturing the bottom placed laptop fans.

I also like the soft neoprene bottom of the mat and it feels very comfortable when you place it on your lap.

The top is covered in holes plastic with 4 rubber "feet" , stopping the laptop from sliding. The top flexes a little when you press it, but the mat seems resistant to damage from that. Also this way it takes less space in your baggage when you travel with it ;-)

Overall, this is an awesome mat with a soft comfy bottom covering and two up-blowing fans for the folks with overheating laptops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Really works and big enough for 17" widescreen laptop, 26 Nov 2010
fastlady "fiorbitleeds" (West Yorkshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Having spent ages trying to decide which laptop cooler to buy (because most of them are tiny & I have a 17" widescreen laptop) as most of the descriptions are woefully inadequate as to the actual fitting dimensions of the laptop pads, I eventually decided upon this Targus Lap Chill Mat as it had one quite good review posted. Well, I'm jolly glad I did - it's great! From burning, blistering, sore knees to cool, comfortable - almost TOO cool knees and fingers in one go!! The fans on this product are wonderfully efficient and produce a noticeable negative chill environment, so much so that it actually makes your hands a little cold! My laptop used to run SO hot that it actually BURNT my leg and now, although I can still tell that it's trying to get warm, it's nowhere NEAR as warm as it used to be and even if it was, I'm insulated from the heat by the design of the pad being a wedge which keeps it away from me. It's very comfortable, light and easy to use and blows cold air through the keyboard as well as through the sides of the mat. It's barely audible, certainly no louder than the laptop itself and, despite being warned of a lengthy delay in delivery, turned up in a few days! Bliss! I can highly recommend this product, especially for hot-running larger-sized laptops that are kept on constantly (or justabout constantly) It will easily accommodate a 17.3" widescreen laptop without tipping up or falling off and is easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'tis Good, 7 Jan 2011

The fans are pretty much silent, which is great. They're also located at the back of the pad, as you can see in the photo. There isn't a lot of cooling going on near the front part so if that area of your laptop is what commonly overheats, this isn't the one to go for.

That said, it isn't too expensive and aside from being a tad small, does an adequate job. I'll be on the lookout in future for something better but this will surely do for awhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable, 17 Jan 2014
Robert Euston "eustonr" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit based on all the positive reviews here.

I wish I'd been able to try it out first! I have a Clevo NP170SM (Novatech rebranded) laptop - its a monster. 17.3 inch screen,4 kilos. Its a desktop replacement. Most of the time its fine on my lap as the maker intended, but playing a game will make the fans run high, and my lap gets hot. Hence I was after something to save my legs :)

While the laptop fits ok, and the fan runs very quietly, I dont think its suitable for a heavy laptop. Why? Because the base is bowed inward, and gets more so, the heavier the weight on it. This means the top (near my knees) and the base (near my crotch) bear most of the weight. The main issue here is the curve at the top of the unit doesnt flex - so it digs into my knees, instead of having the weight evenly distributed, as it would be without the targus mat.

Its early days - I've only been using it for a short time (like, half an hour) - but already its rather uncomfortable. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but its a disappointment. The build quality seems good though.

My second issue with it is the USB plug. The cable is quite long, and it just hangs there from the centre of the back. There's no storage for it, and its not removable. I think I'm going to have to tape it to the inside. to keep it out of the way.

Third thing - I paid £28.14 for mine only a few days ago - Its now £12 with free delivery. Grrrr!!

EDIT - I've just revised this review down to 1 star. The plastic base has cracked already - after 2 days of casual use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but sufficient., 16 Jan 2014
This laptop chill mat, while it says up to 15.6", can't comfortably take anything above 13.3". I have a 15" MacBook Pro and a 15.6" Toshiba Satellite and both hang over the edges of this chill mat. I quite often find that the weight of these size laptops also press down on the fans and cause them to make this incredibly annoying pulsing noise.
This chill mat works fairly well and will cool your laptops off a little, but I'd definitely say it's worth just spending a bit more and getting a much better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy, 9 Nov 2010
Rustam Ali (London) - See all my reviews
i rated 5 stars cus its exaclty what i wanted as i was very confused which one to buy as there are many choices and u cant help considering the price for each one,,let e make my review short and simple for every1 who is looking for the best coolong stant mat pad or whatever u call it

-delivery was quick, and the package was good ,instruction mannual included.
-this size is perfect for my 17"acer,but wont look bulky even with 15"or 13" as its sleek,any brand laptop will fit on it cus the 4 raised rubber tips on the corners of the matt are re-adjustable anywhere on the whole matt
-light wieght n comfertable on ur laps or on bed, table etc
-two fans assist for cooling and the noise is not more than my laptop used to make when it got realy hot on my laps or on bed.
-two fans seems to be in the right place as they are cooling my laptop very good so far.
-fans are usb powered no swich jus plug n play ,, still good enough , even works good without fans on, as theres good ventilation space,
-the positioning is not adjustable but its perfect,, no problem when typing for long time on lap,

hope it helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one for the money, 18 Feb 2011
It really is a good one. Had a few before, they were noisy, cheap looking and broke down pretty fast. My review was in between 4 and 5 stars, wanted to give 4 because it doesn't has a few USB slots, but then I thought that I payed for a laptop chill mat, not for an USB adapter. So it does a brilliant job.
Looks good, feels good, cools the notebook when I'm gaming and is really comfy to hold on lap.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 28 Jun 2012
mk nic (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This is not my first Cooling mat and I am more than disappointed; the fans barely change the temperature of my laptop, they make very little difference and the dust collects around the fans very quickly and is virtually impossible to clean. On a plus side, the mat is a solid construction and a good base in itself for a laptop, but as a cooler - look elsewhere, I am.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 1 Nov 2010
I bought this chill mat for my daughter after overheating caused her laptop to continually cut out and left me with a £100 repair bill. Having established that the main cause of overheating (for this model - HP G60) was using the laptop on your lap (maybe a small design fault here!) or other soft surface causing the air vents to get blocked, it was clear we needed something to maintain the circulation of air around the vents. After looking at the various types of chill mat available, I decided it was a minefield to interfere with the intended air flow by introducing additional fans, and this is the reason I have rated this product 4 rather than 5 star - it really doesn't need the fans, it does the job perfectly well just by raising the base of the laptop and maintaining the air circulation whatever surface it is being used on. The top surface of the chill mat grips the laptop nicely so it doesn't slide off, the base and edges are soft and comfy, and the laptop now runs at a much cooler temperature. My daughter says it is very comfortable and uses it all the time which is half the battle - even the best mat is no good if it doesn't get used. All in all, I'm very happy with this product.