5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but makes life easy
Not the cheapest of blenders, but certainly feels well built, with the base heavy enough to sit stably on the worktop, and the lid fitting securely enough that I dare to leave the thing running by itself without carefully holding the lid down.

Published on 12 Nov 2009 by David Precious

3.0 out of 5 stars very masculine, very gimmicky, very average
Published on 27 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but makes life easy, 12 Nov 2009
David Precious (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville Antony Worrall Thompson VBL030 Intelligent Blender (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was skeptical of the "intelligent blender" moniker and assortment of buttons, but after trying it out, it does actually do as it says on the tin. It's rather nice to be able to shove some fruit etc in there, hit the "Smoothie" button, and walk away to do something else as it starts, stops, varies the speed etc appropriately, and finally stops of its own accord, leaving an excellent result.

Decent powerful motor, too, capable of blending thick substances without getting bogged down.

I even used it to make batter, simply dumping in flour, eggs, milk etc, switching it on, and ending up with a good result.

So, not cheap, but a good solid performer, and worth considering if you do (or plan to do) a lot of blending / smoothie making etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid, high quality product which just avoids being a pure gimmick but has flaws, 17 Nov 2009
Peter A. J. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 2:25 Mins

The attached movie gives a feel for how the blender looks in action and how the programs work, making a smoothie. See below for some more comments.

This blender is a very solid, good-looking piec of kit with a high capacity jug and a snug fitting rubber lid with a hole to add additional ingredients. It has a powerful and high torque motor in its base which makes lightwork for the chopping side of things but even when running at full pelt it sits firmly and steadily on a worktop.

It can be used as a "normal" blender with buttons controlling the speed of the blades (on/off and plus and minus to set power) but its main selling point is that it comes with eight programs for different tasks - this is not just a blender the packaging cries, this is an *intelligent* blender.

What this means is that it comes with a set of named programs which run the blender for specified periods of time, changing the power and adding pauses as neccesary holding out the promise that you can just drop you ingredients into the jug and with the press of a button produce professional chef results.

This *just* falls the right side of being a gimmick. As you can see from the smoothie video, some of the programs do have multiple stages and I was interested to see how long the blender ran for on this setting - I would not have left it so long - so this does have some value.

Other programs were effective too.

- the puree setting (although it seemed to just run for a bit at a constant speed) made a lovely creamy chicken and vegetable soup
- the shakes setting made "the best banana milkshake" my two young ten and six year old guinea pigs had ever tasted, very creamy and smooth
- the blend setting (again not very complex) made a batter for the lightest yorkshire pudding I've ever made

However, it is not all sunshine and roses in Mr Worrall Thompson's smiling world, there are three main issues I found with this product.

1 - the recipe booklet it comes with is only barely adequate. It has just nine recipes and these are of mixed quality. The smoothy worked well but the hollandaise sauce for example produced a very thin and very runny sauce (smooth and emulsified mind) which would not have stood up to eggs benedict or coated fish. In this age of the internet and bearing in mind this range is meant to be making chefs of us all more content (perhaps online) is almost essential. If you are already a good chef then this won't bother you of course but it is worth mentioning.

2 - the square jug is the very devil to clean. You will find yourself laughing hollowly at the instructions in the manual to "add lukewarm water, a drop of washing up liquid and pulse" as you try to clean anything even remotely sticky out of it. As I write this my jug sits forlornly soaking in the sink following my attempt to make hummus and after a "pulse wash" and a dishwash.

3 - the biggie...whilst the blender copes admirably with wet ingredients it is almost useless with anything that errs towards dryness or stickyness. I tried to make hummus in it using the dips setting as recommended in the rather terse table of recipe ideas. As suggested, I added the dry ingredients first (the chickpeas) followed by garlic, lemon juice and tahini. I then pressed "dips" and waited for some action. What happened was the blades whirred away and completely blended the 1/20th of the mixture they were in contact with but did not touch the layer above. I tried adding more water and re-running, then LOTS more and re-running but to no effect. In the end I got out my handheld and pulped the mixture up in seconds (it was a big hit with six month old George). A similar story with chopping - stickiness stops it dead.

All in all then a good, solid product for the [] but with some serious limitations. Think about what you plan to use it for and how much help/inspiration you want. If you want a powerful, professional blender, like washing up and plan to blend wet ingredients to your own recipes then this is perfect...otherwise consider the three negatives before purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good blender, 13 Jun 2011
Bought one today for my protein shakes, works like a charm. Easy to use, secure and easy to wash, not more you could ask for. Only issue is price, it's [] pound which is a heavy investment for a blender, but if you want quality, safety and great results then you should invest in this blender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for smoothies, 23 Oct 2009
Paul S Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past this might have been referred to as a liquidiser. Breville call it a Blender. I think it's best regarded as a Smoothie Maker. The product exceeds the standard blender in that it has a high powered motor (at 800w), a number of pre-programmed blending options, and a good build quality.

It could be better though. The blender will not fit under a standard work surface with cupboards above - a problem if you use it frequently and have limited storage space as it won't fit assembled in a standard kitchen cupboard either. That said, although the build quality is good it could be better and more attractive. I'd have preferred the base to be made of chrome rather than silver-coloured plastic. Perhaps surprisingly the recipe book with this Antony Worrall Thompson branded product is not very good. Only one smoothie recipe is given and it appears that generally there is one recipe for each of the pre-programmed modes. Worrall Thompson's recipes do little to sell the product however. Finally, as this is not described as a smoothie maker it lacks a tap from the blender to take blended drinks directly from the blender. You have to detach the blender jug for the base and pour the drink. However for cleaning - and most parts can be put into a dishwasher - the jug has to be detached anyway.

Luckily a friend lent be a smoothie recipe book as this is where the product excels. It quickly makes a wide range of both fruit juice based and yogurt based smoothies. However, to work well the blender needs a fair amount of liquid added. Otherwise fruit becomes trapped and can only be moved towards the blending blades by turning the machine off and using a spatula to hand mix the content and move unblended fruit closer to the blades. For what is theoretically a low-effort product this is an annoyance.

In summary a good product but best used for smoothies. For cake mixes, coffee bean grinding and more your probably better with a food processor which wouldn't cost too much more for a basic model.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the "business", 21 Oct 2009
Amazon Customer (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The is a really well made and professional piece of kitchen equipment.

It has all the usual controls for speed of blending, including a pulse button, and a large 1.5 litre jug. The top has a firm rubber seal to ensure that the contents don't fly out as per a comedy show, and the centre plug is also a small measuring jug for when you need to add just a little of some liquid to the blend. The ring on the lid makes it easy to break the seal when you want to open it up.

In addition to the 'normal' functions, it has a set of eight programmed functions which allow you to select a sequence of blending speeds and pulsing breaks to blend the perfect mixture.

I can see that I am going to spend many happy hours with my new toy.

The only potential downside that I can see is that it remains warm if you leave it plugged and not being used. I guess this is a transformer for the backlights on the front panel, but it does mean that you should switch it off at the wall if you don't want to overheat the planet!

I have also uploaded a few photographs of the details of the machine as the manufacturer's picture never really show you what you need to know - enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Antony Worrall Blender, 9 July 2012
This is the 2nd time I have bought this product. The plastic jug on the first blender cracked , probably because I had put it in the dishwasher so many times and did not follow the instructions for cleaning the jug. The blender is very versatile, although I mainly used it for making fruit smoothies. I do not think you will be disappointed with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy smoothies for all, 12 Nov 2009
SlayerKat "Desperate Housewife" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit I was a little bit hesitant about using this blender. I've always wanted a blender because I've seen them used on cooking shows etc and the idea appealed to me. I'm very impressed with this blender. It's easy to assemble out of the box but it does have simple instructions included in the box which are worth reading. The blender comes in 4 main parts, the base, the jug, the lid and the plastic plug for the filling hole in the lid. I was initially slightly concerned about the suction rubber lid fitting but after using the blender I can the benefit of that design. Before I used the blender I washed all the usable parts in hot water as instructed in the manual. The first dish I tried was banana smoothie. There are recipes included in the booklet to try but I didn't have the ingredients so I made mine up. I fixed the lid on and poured the ingredients through the hole. I broke the bananas in half and shoved them in with yogurt and orange juice and honey. Then I switched the blender on and hit the pre-programmed "smoothie" button and the blender did all the work! Very very clever. I waited for the programme to end (the blending was very noisy and shakey so make sure it's secure on a flat surface) and after a couple of minutes it was finished. I switched off the power and removed the jug whic is really easy to take on and off. Et voila! A perfect glass of banana smoothie. I'm really impressed. It handled the whole banana well and the smoothie was delicious - much better than when I do it with a hand blender. I was also worried about the cleaning but I rinsed the components out with hot water and left the jug with hot water to soak and it is very easy to clean. I can see me using this blender for a lot more uses like gravy and dips. There is also a button for "cake" which I'm about to try next using the griddled ricotta cakes recipe in the booklet. I'm going to test how easy it is to clean after doing batter in the jug. Overall, this gets a huge thumbs up from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars very masculine, very gimmicky, very average, 27 Oct 2009
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best thing about this blender is also its biggest weak point; you pile in your ingredients, press a button, and walk away - which is great as it theoretically allows you to do two things at once... but the advantage of "leaving it alone" is never really met as you still need to keep an eye on it to ensure it doesnt over-blend or under-blend for your liking (you can stop it mid programme, but that seems a bit pointless to then have the timer on it doesnt it?) and you often have to run the blender through a programme twice!

That said the blender jug is excellent; being square its a bit of a swine to scrape the stuff out of, but its big, roomy and looks nice and robust too.

Looks-wise its VERY masculine; I personally really like it (even though I generally prefer the curvy/ 50's style appliances), and it does look good in my modern kitchen. Not sure how it would look in a more traditional one, but you could always put it in a cupboard (personally I like to have appliances out so theyre handy, so design is just as important to me as function!)

There are a couple of other nice little features too - the little pop-out access lid has a measuring scale in it, the cable winds round the inside so is nice and tidy, and the jug lid is thick and solid rubber, so no leaks; I also really like how the base wont turn without the jug fitted properly on - not that exciting as a feature I know, but it does mean you wont have any accidents or accidental damage to the blender

All in all its a nice tool for general blending (soups, smoothies etc) though the cake setting is absolutely pointless (it just moves the ingredients around without really blending them at all!) and the fact you sometimes have to double blend renders the programme feature a little obsolete. It's programme buttons are extremely gimmicky and not entirely accurate, but all in all its a nice blender: however for the price I think you could get something much more practical... (unless, like me, you just like your fancy gadgetry in which case its not bad at all!)

4.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, 22 Oct 2009
A.M.Boughey "Poetmaster" (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice blender here, but only four stars for some things that others do better.

The GOOD

Anti slip rubber feet prevent this jumping around like a Dalek on full speed
Integral measuring cup in lid
Powerful 880 Watt motor, means even crushed ice is a breeze.
Flat feel program pad means an easy clean, no protruding button to catch smoothie mix and Yorkshire batter
Pull off ring helps get the top off and limits spills
Pour through two piece lid to add ingredients on the fly

THE BAD

Stands over a foot tall, not exactly compact in a lot of kitchens
Rubber seal ring in lid is hard to clean and gets very dirty, very quickly
No twist off base crown to remove blades and seals and put in dishwasher (like the Genie for example)
Space age design won't be to everyone's taste
Unit stays warm if left plugged in

Overall a nice unit with 8 programmable functions (or speeds as I see it) and makes preparing those pancakes or smoothies that bit easier.
My advice, good for the money, but shop around some other great blenders here on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Food Blender I owned so far, 31 July 2012
I own this blender already for couple of years. It does everything as it claims. Some customers find it difficult to clean. I completely disagree with this. My advice is to use silicon spatula to clean out food remains off the jug walls. It works perfect. Then pour into jug hot water with drop of washing liquid, place the lid on, shake it, rinse it properly and that's it. Obviously you can use also pulse setting to help clean the jug. You can use soft sponge brush or brush with softer bristles to avoid scratching bowl and to keep up the appearance of the bowl. It's that simple.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›