5.0 out of 5 stars Euterpe, Muse of Music is again among us...
I love the Graduate but admit to being hopelessly biased as I was hooked from almost my very first encounter with Nerina Pallot. Like other reviewers , I have heard most of the tracks already which in some ways can be a disappointment. If I was recommending Ms Pallot to a non-Pallotite (just made that up, not sure if it sounds good or weird) I would say definitely go for...
Published on 12 Oct 2009 by K. F. Byrne

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Fires
Nerina Pallot shot to prominence with the success of Everybody's gone to war and the excellent album that spawned it, Fires. Fires has 7 or 8 excellent tracks with only a couple of average filler tracks at the end. With The Graduate the position is reversed. There are two excellent tracks, single `Real Late Starter' and `Why I am such a bitch', but a lot of uninspired...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by Terrahurtz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great service, 25 Aug 2011
Mr. Colin Haycock (west midlands uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graduate (Audio CD)
Great service,came quickly and well packaged at the right price.I would defiantly use the service again to purchase my music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Fires, but...., 28 April 2011
N. Royle (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graduate (Audio CD)
This album was something of a disappointment to me - I eagerly anticipated the follow up to the excellent 'Fires'.
I do listen to it regularly, but there's something about it that's missing a 'spark'. Not sure what it is.

If you're a die-hard Nerina fan, buy it. If you're looking to sample Nerina for the first time, buy Fires.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close But No Cigar, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Graduate (Audio CD)
This album is a more considered affair than the previous album which strove very hard for a pop breakthrough, and the melodicism and lyricism are impressive. Jersey girl Nerina Pallot is a great singer and writer, but her problem isn't on her recordings - it's called KT Tunstall, who has basically pinched her career. This must be galling to her but gives her the chance to do more interesting stuff as the years go by - so we'll keep watching this space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerina graduates with 1st class honours!, 8 Oct 2009
Mr. D. Owens (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graduate (Audio CD)
Like others out there who enjoyed 'Fires' every bit as much as I did - this album is a must. Nerina just grows and grows as a singer/songwriter and in much the same vein as Fires was a marked improvement on Dear Frustrated Superstar, The Graduate surpasses its' predecessor with style.

1. Everything's Illuminated

An excellent opening for the album. The track's delicious blend of 'kooky' synths and anthemic melody make it irresistable.

2. Real Late Starter

Quite possiby Nerina's finest hour. Her personality shines on this track with lyrics so easy to relate to you feel you could have written them yourself ("I woke up late today ...actually I do that every day" ..."but oh my god if I was 'somebody' I'd be doin' it all just fine"). The track manages that rare feat of successfuly uniting 'stream of consciousness'-esque lyrics with a melody you'll be singing for days (like it or not!). The result is an outstanding pop track which wouldn't sound out of place on a Scissor Sisters' album*

* except for the fact it's unarguably better than anything on their albums.

3. The Right Side

Possibly badly placed on the album given its slight similarities to tracks 1 and 2, but still a strong number. Nerina here verges into 'rock' territory in the vein of early Elton. The message doesn't lyrically leap out at the listener and, as a result, the track does come across as a tad meaningless in comparison to others on The Graduate (lyrics like "watch out here I come, here I come" do nothing to help matters) but with that said The Right Side is by no means weak and does make for enjoyable listening.

4. Human

No - not a cover of The Killers track, Human sees Nerina steering dangerously towards country as she sings her way through a track laden with acoustic guitars and strings. A nice enough number and, sure, the album is screaming out for a ballad at this point, but it hardly sets the musical world alight. "Inoffensive" and "pleasant" are adjectives that spring to mind.

5. I Don't Want to go Out

This is a track that could prove quite shocking for some Nerina fans - I Dont Want to go Out is as pop as Nerina could be. This of course is no criticism - even the harshest of critics would struggle to deny that the track certainly hits the spot - it's fun, light-hearted, pop goodness which is lyrically remeniscent of Scissor Sisters' "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'"

6. Coming Home

Once you get over the cringe factor of Nerina's tribute to her father on "Coming Home" ("my Dad's not famous...but he is to me" / "If I don't write or even call it doesn't bother you at all so I'm coming home"), the track becomes somewhat enjoyable. It's a song that is more "Fires" than anything else on the record-. Is it brilliant? Not exactly, and is a tad uninspiring, but it's arguably stronger than Human and is bound to please ballad fans.

7. It Starts

A slow, haunting piano number - with its nursery rhyme verses (think "hush little baby don't you cry...") It Starts makes good easy listening, and an enjoyable contrast to some of the early numbers on the record.

8. When Did I Become Such a Bitch

Just when you think Nerina's given up on the pop tracks- she hits you with a stomper. '...Bitch' is one of the album's highlights, as lyrically strong as it is melodically. Nerina is at her best on tracks like these when she taps into the thoughts even the best of us have from time to time - "When did I become such a bitch?..I used to be so nice ...well - I used to be alright"...it's amusing and adorable.

9. Cigarette

Arguably the least accessible track on the album - Nerina sings of cigarettes and liquor on this track. At this early stage it seems too harsh to judge a track that I suspect has something to offer after a few listens - judgement shall be reserved for now.

10. It Was Me

Fairly indistinguishable from It Starts, It Was Me sees Nerina singing honestly and openly about breaking hearts / ending relationships. Lyrically strong but probably won't have you whistling it in the street.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...if only there was an oompah band..., 6 Nov 2009
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Graduate (Audio CD)
Hey everybody! It's Nerina Pallot. You must remember her. You know. The kooky singer / songwriter with the video. You know, the one that was a bit Tori Amos, but without the suffocating worthiness. Yes, you're right. That doesn't really narrow it down much.

Anyway, she's back, and has discovered the power of a good tune and a fancy dress shop. Two things you really can't go wrong with. Apparently, she was far too chirpy to write songs after her last album, so her record company packed her off to write with hacks for hire, Linda Perry, Rob Davis and Rick Knowles, squillion selling songwriters to a man (and woman). If you want to know how that went, none of the songs appear here, and she's put the album out herself.

But stranger than all that put together is the fact that this album is absolutely fantastic. I can only think of one thing that would have improved this record, but the lack of an oompah band on 'Real Late Starter' isn't that much of a passion killer. There are a couple of tracks I'm happy to skip over (hello, 'Human'), but as long as there is a perky, poptastic tune like 'I Don't Want To Go Out' round the corner, then I'm as happy as a pig in poo.

In a fair and just world, 'When Did I Become Such A Bitch' would be number one for a couple of months minimum, but no, you're all busy buying that bloody awful Black Eyed Peas record. The one where the transvestite hoor and her three pimps gatecrash their grandkids party. Well, stop. Buy this instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caution, 25 May 2011
David Brown "truemusic" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graduate (Audio CD)
Note of caution: It is a pity that such a talented songwriter follows the same old route of swearing to gain appeal.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›