1,022 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an air compressor, it's a Ring - what's not to like?
Published on 6 Jan. 2010 by D. Parkin

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA
Published on 26 Feb. 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an air compressor, it's a Ring - what's not to like?, 6 Jan. 2010
D. Parkin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring Automotive RAC630 Automatic Digital Compressor 12 V with LED Light (Automotive)
A well-built piece of kit that is easy to operate once you get the knack of setting the tire air pressures. It is very quick to inflate (compared to an old Draper pump), the lighting is excellent, and the screw adapter secure. Having tested the inflation readings they do appear to be very accurate, and the pump makes it a quick and easy job to optimise tire air pressures every couple of weeks. I have not regretted the purchase - I should also mention that the machine is fairly quiet in operation, being far less rattly and loud than my old Draper model. The storage system for the cable is ok, but it is a tad fiddly, hence the four stars rather than the full five, but perhaps I am being overly picky! The pump is easy to stow away in the boot, taking up little space in its holdall.
I would recommend it as a useful addition to any boot.

Addendum, 20th December 2010. I have since purchased a second pump as a practical present - it really is that good - and I would simply echo what I have written above. In use, it has inflated a fully deflated slow-punctured tyre to full inflation with pleasing speed, and the readings given by the Ring continue to be dependable when measured by other devices. Because of its speed in use, I find it a snap to keep my tyre pressures up to the appropriate pressures prior to travelling any major distances, so I suppose that this wee machine is actually helping me to save money as well. If you are in the market for a good pump, then I would recommend this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class piece of kit!, 20 Aug. 2010
This compressor is excellent. It comes in its own zipped case which protects and stores in neatly. The power cable and air tube pack away within the compressor itself which is all very neat. It also comes complete with different adaptors for footballs, airbeds etc. I cannot fault this product and would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My little helper, 16 Dec. 2010
A. Ostermeyer "old garden gnome" (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the 630 as I need to keep constant check and top up of tyres fitted to alloy wheels and only had a foot-pump to do a tedious job. Getting older you see! The first unit was found to be defective due to a electrical connection problem, and lack of function when connection was made. I returned it for replacement which arrived in quick time. There is still a issue with the plug adaptor connector which I have fixed (the spring clips have to make a positive fit with the socket otherwise the connection can fail). I then found the pump works as it "says on the tin". The digital display is easy to read and setting the pressure required is easy. The tyre valve connector screws on for a positive connection and the tyres were inflated to given pressure very quickly and not too noisily either. No more effort! What a treasure. Why 4 stars? The pump itself appears to be working fine and this would have five star rating for me. The only problem is with the in-car cigarette lighter plug adaptor as I found it to be making a poor connection in the socket. I have had to make the spring clips a little "wider" to make it 'click' in to place for a positive fit and electrical connection. The manufacturers Ring Automotive confirmed the initial inflator unit to be faulty and a refund of return postage has been made. My thanks to Ring Automotive and AP Motor Store.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first compressor after years with a foot pump, 14 Jun. 2010
David C (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've always used a foot pump, could never understand why you would want to buy a "gadget" when a couple of minutes of one legged hokey cokey and you're done. That though was before I had a car with large low profiles and also gained other cars to look after. I say gained as I try to put a positive spin on the fact that I look after and service the family cars but don't ever drive them but I suppose that at least I know that they are checked over.

Anyway, back to the topic of the review, what more could I ask for really, a slightly longer lead for the power feed would be good but that's so I could do more than one car at a time so I'm being a bit picky. A bit more vibration absorption mount/material inside for the pump itself as it's a bit noisy and can move around a bit if placed on the floor so I recommend a rubber mat you can kneel on this whilst hooking up the feed to the tyre.

I like the set-up system which is easy to use, the connection to the tyre being screw rather than the clip on type which is easier to get wrong. The cable reel on the bottom so you don't have to try and stuff the power cable back in a hole when you're finished, plus the size of the thing all make it easy to use. It inflates fast and has a bleed point to let out air near the connection point to the tyre valve. You do get a slight pressure drop in the tyre after a few minutes if the air going in is warm (either pump has run for a while or multiple short uses) so if inflating more than say 5psi then when it cuts off at the set pressure I wait for 30 sec and then press the M button to top back up to the set pressure again.

So I'm now a convert to the whole tyre inflating gadget club.

Update : Thought I'd post back having had the pump since June 2010 and it's still going strong having been used weekly since I purchased it so cannot fault it's performance or value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 11 July 2010
After sifting through many products and reviews for basically a posh tyre pump, I settled on this as it seemed to get good feedback for a reasonable price. Used it several times over the last month and very impressed. Much better than previous compressors I have owned due to the digital guage and the auto cut off when desired pressure is reached, so works pretty much like the ones you find at the petrol station. Can't fault it, does the job well, wires store neatly and kept in a handy little case.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, 26 Feb. 2011
Amazon Customer (MORDEN, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I ordered the 600 model but the seller offered the free upgrade to the 630. I had one of these for a few months until it literally went "BANG!" and stopped working. It was under guarantee so was sent a replacement. This was Dead on Arrival. The seller admitted they had loads of problems with this model. They offered to send me the 600 which was the model I had originally ordered which has been fine and worked well and reliably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 15 May 2010
A. J. Munro (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent product and cheap too. Better than the 600 which it superceeds in that the cable winds around a drum on the backside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring RAC630 Digital tyre inflater., 19 Jan. 2011
J. Taylor (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
Less than 5 minutes to set up and top-up pressure on car to 33 psi. Struggled with caravan tyres but they are high pressure at 61-65 psi, but got to 63 psi, which is OK because I don't load the caravan to its maximum anyway, 61 psi is fine.
Very neat & tidy both 12v cable & inflater tube, in a smart zip up bag. A lot quieter & faster than my old analogue Draper(that struggled with the caravan pressure as well) with a more secure valve connection, if you didn't whip the Draper one off quickly you lost a lot of pressure, so always had to inflate higher to compensate, plus with this Ring one you don't have to watch it all the time just fit,set & forget(it stops automatically.)Once set to(say)33 psi just connect to others and press M, display shows pressure(say 30.5)starts automatically and stops at 33 psi.
Amazon as usual best price(35 at Hals) with fastest delivery, both Amazon & Ring RAC630 highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 10 July 2012
S. Segar "Pure Music Fan" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very well manufactured piece of kit. There are some very nice touches which are useful to have and the noise levels are not desperately high. Sure in a confined space (i.e. garage) it does sound a bit like a German airplane in the old war movies but it does inflate quickly to the required psi, so it's not going forever.
I came to this from a series of double cylinder foot pumps, my old trusty DC had finally given up the ghost after 20 years of service (hose finally perished) and so I ordered a Silverline from Amazon. Within 3 months I had a bent foot lever and a replacement. Another 2 months and the lever fell off this time. Full refund and progressed onto a Draper (couple of quid more but hopefully better quality) only to find after 4 months this disintegrated under my foot. Hose detached and cylinder dislodged. I was thinking is it me and so after another refund I decided to go the whole hog and go for compressed and I'm glad to say I have not looked back. This has outlasted the others already and still going strong.
So if it's so good why not the full five stars, I hear you ask. Well for me it has one flaw. The connection is so long that it is impossible to attach to wheelchair tyres and that is one of the reasons I bought it. I looked all around to find an adapter that would fit but to no avail and so that cost it a star.
For the wheelchair I have had to go back to a DC but this time bought the Laser 4411 after reading the reviews. Hopefully this will last a bit longer than the others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good... Although I eventually found a weakness..., 1 July 2012
This purchase followed the eventually demise of my 8 year old halfords model that had served me faithfully over the years (if a little slow to inflate).
On the basis of the hype, I did expect this Ring model to inflate a little quicker, and although probably twice the speed of my old one, it bears no comparison to the speed of the ones found at petrol stations. It is also just as loud (yes, it's LOUD) as my old model.
It is however a lot of kit for the money and does what it says on the tin, so I won't elaborate on the features already mentioned in prior reviews.
There are a lot of reviews complaining that this model packs up (or the pre-inflation digital setting feature fails) shortly after purchase, and although this might be the case, it hasn't happened to me (yet).
It does offer more technology than many other models, and on the basis of this it is more likely to go wrong (yer pays yer money, yer take yer chances)... Should it fail within a year, the 1 year guarantee & excellent Amazon customer service should carry the strain. It comes in a great little zippered bag (perfect neat fit). The ability to deflate the tyres without unscrewing the hose is also a simple yet useful feature. The way the lead wraps away is quite simple yet very quick, tidy & efficient.
The cigarette lighter socket lead is more than sufficient to inflate your 4 fitted car tyres, and I for one am glad that it is not longer (as it is just more faff wrapping more cable away). I do have a caravan, but simply have a cheapo extension lead for when I want to inflate those tyres.
A seemingly good buy, but I will update this review if it lets me down within guarantee...

UPDATE APRIL 2013: I HAVE POROBABLY ONLY USED THIS A TOTAL OF TEN TIMES, BUT THE END OF THE HOSE THAT SCREWS ONTO THE TYRE VALVE SNAPPED OFF ON ME THIS MORNING (WITHOUT ANY APPARENT STRESS BEING APPLIED TO IT). LOOKING AT THE THICKNESS OF THE PLASTIC WELDING WHERE IT HAD CLEANLY SNAPPED OFF FROM THE HOSE, IT SEEMS A MIRACLE IT HASN'T HAPPERNED BEFORE THIS.
THE BREAK WAS CLEAN, AND I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BOTH REPAIR IT AND REINFORCE IT WITH ARALDITE & IT NOW WORKS PERFECTLY AGAIN.
IT SEEMS A RIDICULOUS WEAKNESS IN AN OTHERWISE GREAT LITTLE COMPRESSOR. STILL WORTHY OF 4 STARS, BUT JUST BEWARE (IT MIGHT EVEN BE WORTHWHILE REINFORCING THE WEAK SPOT YOURSELF POST PURCHASE), WHICH IS AN OBVIOUSLY SLIMLINE AREA JUST BELOW THE AIR RELEASE VALVE IN THE DIRECTION OF THE MAIN UNIT.