Published on 30 Mar 2011 by LowEntropy

2.0 out of 5 stars get Pen and Touch instead
I have a Bamboo Pen and Touch, love it, and wanted a second one for the office. Since I don't use Touch much, I thought I'd save £20 and get the pen-only model. However, unlike the Pen and Touch model, the Pen model's pen doesn't come with an "eraser" end. Also unlike the Pen and Touch model, the Pen model wasn't recognised (by the Xournal software I use, at least) as...
Published on 15 Sep 2011 by Greg S

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool... and how to replace pen nibs for virtually nothing, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have seen many complaints on the internet by users of the Bamboo and the latest (as at 2011) Intuous4 models about excessive pen-nib wear due to rougher, more paper-like tablet surfaces. This issue, and in particular, what appeared to be a poor response from Wacom to the many complaints, nearly put me off buying a Wacom. But I searched the Wacom forum (there is one that runs to MANY pages on the subject of pen nib wear), and the key things I discovered were:

- the pen nibs are merely short rods of plastic (someone claims they are made of Nylon, which seems about right) having a diameter of about 1.7mm.
- that the consumable, flexible 'chord' used in grass "strimmers" (or "weed eaters") - those buzzy machines used to cut the edge of your lawn - are made of Nylon, and many of them are about 1.7mm in diameter!

So I bought the Bamboo Pen as a first try of Wacom tablets. And I'm pleased. Good value. (I want it purely for handwriting straight to computer, for which I can recommend the free software called Xournal, now available for Windows.)

Then I went into the shed, cut off a short piece of the nylon chord hanging from the bottom of the grass strimmer, straightened it out (approximately) by hand, stuck it in the end of the Bamboo pen, and it worked perfectly. (It'd probably be best to round off the end of your home-made nibs with fine abrasive paper or similar before using).

So now you know how to replace your Bamboo's pen nibs FOREVER at a cost of approximately £0.00 + £0.00 P&P! Compare that to OVER £10 for 5 nibs from Amazon at time of writing.

Hope this tip is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool for Photoshop and navigating Windows, 18 Dec 2009
J. Madden (England) - See all my reviews
I found this to be a perfect starter pen and tablet. I'ts easy to install* and use with a helpful tutorial included. I've even found myself using it to browse through Windows and handwrite text into documents using the PC Tablet input device. The side buttons are a little fiddly (although I've only been using this for a couple of days) but the pen itself acts as a 'right click' and 'scroll' tool so I rarely need those buttons. The small size of the tablet is the only thing which some people may struggle with but the sensitivity feels near faultless and as light a feather in my opinion. It's great for two-minute doodles in Paint or for more advanced use.

*The software works fine but anyone with WINDOWS 7 who finds that this doesn't work well with Adobe Photoshop (and other applications) needs to download the updated driver software (free) from WACOM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacom Bamboo Pen, 4 Mar 2010
I decided to get a graphics tablet as I make art on the computer recreationally and have heard that graphics tablets make drawing easier. I decided to purchase this model as I heard that Wacom were a good make of graphics tablet.

The tablet itself looks very sleek, the pen doesn't look quite as elegant but it is comfortable to hold. Installation of the tablet was quick and painless and I was impressed with the level of precision it provides. It also was able to detect quite a range of pressure in both GIMP and Photoshop.

For anyone unsure of the contents of this product, it includes the tablet and pen, as well as 3 replacement nibs for the pen.

I think this product is brilliant value for money and I would definitely recommend it as a starting tablet for hobbyists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity itself., 31 Oct 2010
D. Bryan (Erith, UK) - See all my reviews
I once had a tablet, back in the days of Windows 98. It convinced me I'd never buy another. Then with Windows 7 on my new laptop, I invested in Serif software, and decided to purchase one of the new Wacom Bamboo series tablets as Serif were recommending them for use with their design software. In the end I elected to purchase the more effective model on sale through Amazon.
I cannot imagine how I got by without one all these years. This effortlessly translates my doodles, sketches and drawings on to the computer. It even reads my handwriting, no mean feat I can assure you (Mother wanted me to be a doctor - I could only manage the indecypherable handwriting).
I use it with a Dell Studio Laptop, and it is easily transportable. It requires no seperate power source, just a single USB 2.0 connection. The long cable means that you can position the tablet wherever feels comfortable. I've regularly used it on one of Starbucks coffee tables with no problems (just making certain to keep the coffee mug out of the way).
The look and feel of the product are of quality. The designers have made the pen feel comfortable to hold, and the toggle-type button fits easily beneath my finger.
I am left-handed but this is no problem for the Bamboo. It operates perfectly for either hand, and if you share with a "south paw" you won't be inconvenienced, because it will remember who's who. The set-up allows you to select which hand you use and you can simply set it to your individual preference.
The software supplied with the product is extremely capable, although as I've already installed the Serif products, that's not so important to me.
Overall this is simplicity itself, both to install and use. You may not want to rely on your mouse after you've used one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, intuitive and the right size: points to help you choose, 15 Jun 2010
Nicholas Sales (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this because I was suffering increasingly from pain and irritation from using a mouse all the time.
I've never had a graphics pad before, but I wanted to see how it went, and I bought the cheapest Wacom one Amazon had.

Be aware - the full range of Wacom graphics pads has lots of different features at the more expensive end, like finger-touch interaction, and bundled software. This pad just works with the special stylus provided and that's all it does.

However, that's all it needs to do for me - it's great: value, quality, and ease of use.
And small is good too - the default mode is for the pad to represent your whole screen. If you buy a bigger tablet, you'll find yourself making grand sweeping gestures all the time, which might knock your coffee on the floor!

Anyway, pros and cons as usual for my reviews...

Pros:
- small: doesn't take up too much desk space
- can be used in conjunction with a mouse (they can both be left plugged in)
- tablet automatically senses if you're using it left- or right-handed
- very easy and natural to use, once you've spent 5 minutes on the instructional programme
- perfect for natural writing and drawing-like interactions, like photo-retouching

Cons:
- doesn't come with a carry case/protector (why not? I want to take this to work!)
- you DO need to follow the training video for 5 minutes if you've never used one before, so it's not for the critically impatient
- (very minor, but annoying) doesn't work with my Linux machines unless I compile new drivers for them, as this is a new model; however, works stunningly well once this is done

It's so cheap I think you should try it out - it's a great way to interact if you're having mouse-induced hand or arm problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but very accurate, 14 Jan 2010
PBREES "Molesworth" (Swansea UK) - See all my reviews
This is the most basic Wacom tablet. I wanted to try one for photo-editing and freehand drawing. I didn't need extra features but rather reliability and compatibility with the software I use (Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, Art Rage and Inkscape) and this machine worked first time with each and with excellent accuracy. It was simple to set up - the computer (Windows Xp)recognised it at once. I had previously used a Trust tablet which was ok but hit and miss at times. This is 100% better. I would recommend this tablet to anyone looking for a reliable entry-level device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 May 2010
K. Morris (UK, Birmingham.) - See all my reviews
i had been recomended by a friend, to buy this as a first just to get used to using the tablet. as i have never used one before and i have to say its really worth the money! it small, but big enough to use for things like photoshop and
its incredibly easy to use, just pluged it into the computer and it worked straight away.
if having doubts about buying this one, dont because you wont be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Dec 2009
A. Gibson "Gus" (UK) - See all my reviews
I thought my old (and when i say old I mean old ) Wacom tablet was good, I know this is one of the cheaper products in the wacom line but as a home user on a budget with very little artistic talent and very poor handwriting skills I found this is absolutely superb in graphics apps, and the handwriting recognition that comes in windows had no trouble at all in recognising my unearthly scrawls while I used this. In short after a very small learning curve I believe most people will be using this like a pro in no time, I give this the thumbs up all the way

4.0 out of 5 stars Wacom Bamboo Pen, 30 Jan 2010
This is my first tablet and have found that it greatly enhances the ease and enjoyment of using both Photoshop and Illustrator (although the pressure sensitivity does not work in Illustrator). It looks and feels like a quality product and is a delight to use.

The function of the pen buttons can be changed in 'Tablet Properties'. I find it handy to have one of the pen buttons set to 'undo' so that it can be used as an erasure within Photoshop although I found that in order to activate this function in the programme you have to first select the erasure tool in Photoshop and choose your desired brush, then it's good to go on the pen button whenever you need it.

Personally, if my budget had permitted, I would have opted for the Bamboo Pen and Touch given that for a little over twenty pounds more than this one, it has double the pressure sensitivity levels and a dedicated erasure and that's quite apart from the bonus of the 'touch' capabilities, however this is still a great performing product and should be enough for most non professional needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice :), 13 April 2010
Andrew Fraser - See all my reviews
This wacom tablet is amazing! It's a bit on the small side but the price makes it worth while. I previously owned a genius tablet and this tablet puts the previous one to shame. The feel of the graphite nib really gives the same feel as drawing on paper and makes it much more tactile to use. The only issue I have is that the tablet automatically relates to your whole screen space even if you are using dual monitors, this means that when drawing on one monitor which is generally the case, the usable size is decreased further.

All in all a fantastic product and goes to show wacoms clear superiority in the drawing tablet market.