5.0 out of 5 stars DRM now Removed
Ubisoft Removes Controversial DRM From PC Games
Tue, Jan 4th, 2011.

Published on 19 Jan 2011 by Lytefantastic

1.0 out of 5 stars Required online connection ruins the game.
Published on 29 Mar 2010 by Mr. M. A. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Required online connection ruins the game., 29 Mar 2010
Mr. M. A. Thompson (Darlington, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I so wanted to review this game based upon the gameplay itself and try to steer clear of all the DRM stuff. Unfortunately the problems caused by the DRM system in effect make the game almost broken. This is exactly the type of game I would love to install to my laptop and have available for those nights I'm away on business, the problem is that I cannot always guarantee an internet connection, and with this game if you have no internet connection then you cannot play even the single player mode of the game.

Ontop of that I experienced a lot of connecion problems with the game, it keeps telling me I'm not connected to the internet when I clearly am. I visited the Ubisoft forums and there were many other people in the same position, some had been unable to login for days, yet others seemed to be working fine. There was very little response from Ubisoft regarding these connection problems. It is possible that there was some kind of attack happening by Pirates to take the authentication servers down, but I find that excuse unacceptable, Ubisoft should have had things in place so as to not inconvenience the paying customer.

My advise is to stay well clear of any Ubisoft game that uses this online system until they hopefully see sense and change direction.

Oh, and as for the game itself, when it does work it is actualy a very good game, it's just these contstant connection problems have really soured my taste for the game. They seem to have gone back more towards a feeling of the older Settlers games with less focus on the military side of things than with Settlers 6. The graphics are very nice, if a little blurry close up sometimes. Other than that it is difficult to judge the game much more on gameplay as I've actually not been able to logon and get that much actual playtime in.

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE DO NOT BUY UNTIL UBISOFT ENDS THEIR DRM, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It is a real shame that barely a fortnight after getting Assassin's Creed II and being unable to play due to Ubisoft's ill-considered DRM controls I am left another £25 out of pocket and another useless drinks mat (Settlers 7 CD). I've owned this game for 5 days, and have been able to enjoy it for three of those, but now upon attempting to run it I'm greeted with "Server Error, Try Again Later". This strikes me as being pretty unacceptable on something that I have legitimately purchased, along with who knows how many other poor saps who thought lightning couldn't strike twice.

So DO NOT think "it won't happen to me" and buy this game - it will happen. So please vote with your hard-earned and buy something else! Money appears to be the only language Ubisoft are fluent at - customer satisfaction certainly isn't!

1.0 out of 5 stars Server Error, 1 May 2010
PhilD (Newcastle upon Tyne UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Settlers 7 may be a good game to play... when it lets you!
The fact that it needs a constant internet connection means if the dodgy Ubisoft server is down (which it is a lot) then you cant play even the single player campaign. Prime example of security so tight that even the owners cant play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just got my notification of my refund from Amazon (Thank you ! ), 15 April 2010
F. Martellucci (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I enjoyed this game and it has a very good concept of game play behind it: either use the monks, trade route or build up a strong army. But the fact that Ubisoft are unable to keep their servers up so that people can play on them makes this game unfit for purpose. I didn't buy this game to play at their convenience but mine so I returned my game to Amazon claiming my statutory rights. So a big thank you to Amazon to give me my refund with no quibbles. I'll buy this game again once Ubisoft come to their senses and stop this being online at all time nonsense and I hope it taught them a lesson with this PR nightmare as their own forum is full of complaints of people not being able to play because they get the 'server not available, please try later' notice everytime they want to play.

1.0 out of 5 stars constant internet connection?, 29 Mar 2010
A. Day - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
ok, the main issue with this game is the requirement of a constant internet connection...my internet being pretty damn terrible means this is a real pain and I keep having to wait for my internet to reconnect whilst the game has frozen so I can resume....very irritating.

this is SUPPOSED to be a measure to stop piracy, but I disagree, this will actually INCREASE piracy as people will want to get a hacked copy that doesnt need this rubbish online login...its driving potential paying customers TOWARDS pirates due to the inconveniences this causes
its a total contradiction that alienates people like me from Ubisoft.

ok...now onto the game.

Graphics: Pretty good, not the best i've seen but far far from sloppy.

Gameplay: Fairly similar to previous settlers games concentrating more on base building and economics and a far slower pace than its rivals, if you like fast paced action packed RTS...look away now this isnt for you.
I dislike the lack of any real control over your military, you just tell a general with his men to attack an outpost or base territory and then go there and automatically take it for you...completely chucking any thoughts on military tactics out of the window!
so overall if you like to build up a renaissance citadel fit for Kings with a powerful economy and a shiny army that does all the work for you..go ahead and get this.

this game is also akin to its previous installments in the way its more about charm than serious gaming, so if your not a serious gamer then this may well be the RTS for you

Performance: runs perfect...so long as the internet connection is perfect that is, soon as that goes you'll get no performance out of it, so I recommend having reliable broadband for this game, but please be aware that playing a slow paced game will take a long time...meaning your pc will be connected to the net for a long time and so meaning that hackers have a nice big window to plant a few computer virus's onto your hardrive
make sure you have good firewall and anti-virus thats up to date
(by the way my systems a 3.0ghz core 2 quad, 864mb graphics and 4gb of RAM and windows 7 64bit)

overall, this is a half decent game, if it werent for the internet connection requirement and the lack of military control this would be brilliant...a shame to say the least.

my advice is to buy one of the previous settlers installments.

1.0 out of 5 stars great disappointment, 11 Jun 2010
Christina Hawkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
After loving heritage of kings and rise of an empire, I was really looking forward to this game. It is awful. It appears to be a mish mash of settlers and anno games and everything is paced very fast - too fast in my opinion. With the need to be online all the time, even though in single player mode, any interruption to the service (and in our area these are frequent) stops play. I have really tried several times to play through campaign and custom maps, but give up each time. A total waste of money and a huge disappointment. I will think twice - or three times before buying another settlers game.

5.0 out of 5 stars DRM now Removed, 19 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ubisoft Removes Controversial DRM From PC Games
Tue, Jan 4th, 2011.

Ubisoft has removed its controversial DRM technology for PC games. Although the company faced much criticism when it was announced, Ubi went ahead and released the DRM together with Settlers 7, which required players to constantly be connected to the internet in order to play their own games.

Ubisoft believed that their DRM technology was the "the best way to deal with" piracy. However, gamers criticized it further when a slew of server attacks brought Ubisoft servers down, preventing customers from playing their games.

With the DRM's removal, players no longer need to stay connected and can play their games offline, although it still requires a connection when authenticating.

2.0 out of 5 stars DRM has killed this game, 4 Oct 2010
Darren Finnegan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Wish i could play without having to be online

i dont see why i should suffer becuase others like to pirate software,

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 1 May 2011
Mr. Andrew Robson "Trep" (Carlise) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This Game does not last 10 minutes before crashing DO NOT BUY. It takes an age to install and when that is eventually completed you have to start it multiple times for it to work

1.0 out of 5 stars Settlers 7, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Settlers 7 (PC DVD)I have been playing this game for a few days now. The game itself is engaging and the graphics are good. I bought the game partly because another reviewer said that Ubisoft had removed the DRM. This is not true!!!!! Ubisoft state on their website that it will be removed at some unknown and unspecified date in the future. I could not play it today because the server is down. So you buy a game and [unlike someone who has pirated it] you can not play when you wish. That means that this game is not fit for purpose. If your internet connection is down you cannot play. It interferes with your security firewall too. For the first time ever, in over 30 years of computing, I have found 2 rootkit trojans. I have managed to delete them with difficulty. I recommend that before you shut down your computer, after playing this game, you should run a rootkit search from your virus checker[if it has that facility]
This is why my overall rating is so low. I really do not want to be forced to be logged on to play a game that I have paid for. Do not buy this game until the DRM has been removed.

Settlers 7 (PC DVD)
Settlers 7 (PC DVD) by Ubisoft (Windows Vista / XP)