Format: DVD|Change

on 29 November 2009
Let me start by saying that i'm not the world's biggest Killers fan. I like them, and a lot of their songs. And I have seen them live as support for U2 @ Cardiff Stadium on during U2's Vertigo tour. But I'm not a blinkered fanboi of Messr's Flowers and co..

But credit where it is due. This is a live concert DVD of immense brilliance. It's not unusual these days for concerts to have audio and video captured in high quality, but sometimes that is not enough. What makes this so special is firstly the setting of the Royal Albert Hall and secondly the way it has been edited to give a very intimate and revealing glimpse of the band pre, during and after a concert.

Setting: To shoot this DVD @ RAH is a stroke of genius by the band. I am so glad they choose not to record one of their more ubiqitous festival performances (although there are some extra tracks on the disc from festival performances...). To be honest I have been getting a bit tired of seeing The Killers every year on TV during the summer headlining this or that festival. The RHA show is small enough to be intimate, but big enough to be impressive. And it is a fabulous venue, and they have made it the centerpiece of the show by having outside the venue street shots as well as 'flying' down the hallways and backstage with the band. It gives you a real sense of the venue missing in so many concert DVD's where a band is playing some anonymous concrete arena. This emphises on the building creates extra feeling and intimacy for the concert. For example, following Brandon during a song out from the stage back into the public concourse and through a door way back onto a balcony in the hall shows how interconnected the place is - with only a short distance between the stage and any part of the hall.

Editing: This too is very good. Far too many concerts are edited with a million different camera shots a minute, so you literally flash from one band member to the next over and over. They have avoided this by having longer shots on one of the guys at a time, or sideways shots that capture two or more of the band. It's been very well thought out, and respectfully edited. Some nice crowd shots, overheads and black and white film bits only add to it's greatness.

A very good set list is chosen by the band (although sadly no Glamourous Indie Rock & Roll..), and they are all in excellent form as musicians. Sometimes I've felt they seem a bit wayward playing the festivals, but not here. They are tight and on the beat.

I have about 30 concert DVD's from various bands. This is without doubt one of the very best I have seen.

Well done to The Killers. Showing how it should be done, this is stunning concert DVD (and CD of course)
on 12 November 2009
This is a majestic performance from beginning to end, and The Killers prove themselves well-worthy of the beautiful Royal Albert Hall setting.

I saw the band live at T in the Park earlier in the year, and while some elements of the performance are similar (the set list is almost identical, and some of the songs are introduced in the same way), the overall "feel" of the Royal Albert Hall gig is more refined and intimate.

Highlights, for me, are the extended Day and Age Tour versions of "For Reasons Unknown" and "Bling" (both of which drop down and take a lull while Brandon Flowers encourages some crowd interaction, before picking back up and exploding into their utterly climactic conclusions); the surprise-packages of "I Can't Stay" and "Sweet Talk" (the former in particular is performed stunningly), and the one-two smackdown of "Mr Brightside" and "All These Things That I've Done"... "Spaceman" and "Dustland Fairytale" are a pretty powerful combination too. Generally speaking, all of the tracks sound far better live than they do recorded; there's more energy and clarity to them and Flowers' voice sounds tremendous when it isn't needlessly roboticized as it sometimes is in their albums.

The only song that I feel somewhat drags is "The World We Live In", but that's more to do with the fact that the studio version was never a favourite of mine anyway, not because it's a sub-par performance -- if you like the song, you'll like the live version more than I did.

The DVD begins and ends with new versions of "Enterlude" and "Exitlude", and features bonus performances, including one of my personal favourites "Tranquilize" from the Oxegen festival. In terms of bonus features it's a bit sparse; there's a nice little Behind The Scenes documentary which is worth watching, but that's really about it... The quality of the primary content renders this irrelevant anyway.

Speaking of quality, in terms of production and sound -- top notch. My only criticism - and it's a minor one - is that I'd like the crowd noise to have been brought into the foreground just a notch more for certain songs such as "Mr Brightside". Other than that, the balance is pretty much perfect.

To put it succinctly; buy this DVD, it's one of the best.

[As a further point of note, I posted this review on the American Amazon and was asked about crowd noise levels throughout the performance and whether there were too many "singalongs" based on the teaser clips that were released... The answer is that the only song in which the crowd are almost as audible as the band is "When You Were Young" -- throughout the rest of the set the crowd noise is generally dipped with the exception of the moments where they are invited to sing by Flowers while he has a quick breather. Therefore it isn't a "singalong" by any means, and for the vast majority the music of the band takes center stage.]
on 4 June 2011
The Killers Live From The Royal Albert Hall is a fantastic live dvd and cd compiled from the Las Vegas band's two night stand at London's Royal Albert Hall on the 5th and 6th July 2009. The dvd is largely based around their Day & Age album but also features a generous amount of material from their previous albums; Hot Fuss, Sam's Town and the rarities album Sawdust.

I was lucky enough to be at this concert, so watching the dvd brought back memories from a truly spectacular night. The band were on top form and Brandon Flowers appeared to be in his element, delivering a charismatic performance, with great stage presence and impressive vocals throughout. Some of the performance highlights for me include 'This Is Your Life', 'Joy Ride', 'Read My Mind' and 'A Dustland Fairytale' (during which Flowers strides into the crowd to join in with a fan sing-a-long). Other highlights include a spine tingling acoustic rendition of 'Sam's Town', the anthem like 'All These Things That I've Done' and the stunning 'I Can't Stay', in which Flowers' strong vocals are particularly evident. Although the dvd centres mostly around the Day & Age album, the setlist provides a varied mixture of tracks from previous albums, including fan favourites 'Mr Brightside' and 'Somebody Told Me'. My one and only gripe (if you can call it that) with the setlist is that I wish they had of played 'Neon Tiger' as it is my favourite track from the Day & Age album, and it sounds brilliant played live.

On a side note, I loved how the dvd is filmed and directed. The camera following the band as they leave and return to the stage for the encore, complete with backstage shots gives the dvd a real documentary style feel, and makes the viewer feel like they are part of the action.

Dvd extras include performances from various festivals and a behind-the-scenes documentary with interviews from crew and fans. Whilst the documentary makes for a fascinating watch, it would have been nice to have included an interview with the band themselves.

Overall, Live From The Royal Albert Hall is a thoroughly enjoyable watch from start to finish and is a must have for any fan. The setlist is fantastic, the band show strong chemistry and musicianship and Flowers is a truly charismatic, talented frontman. This is the first live dvd/cd release from The Killers, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the next one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
Have had this for quite a while now but after another viewing I felt I just had to place on record my review of this stunning Blu Ray from The Killers.

The show, from 2009, is a 22-song set from the amazing setting of The Royal Albert Hall. It begins, after a brief intro, with Human which I still feel is the perfect track out of their setlist with which to start a show. I simply can't listen to this track anymore from any other source without wanting to add 'LONDON" at the appropriate moment. Brilliant and wish they did it this way when I went to see them at Hammersmith back in November this year (a much shorter setlist than the Blu Ray too). What follows is a setlist that takes in all of the hits, live favourites (Sam's Town - superb!) and more and all performed with energy that clearly shows the band felt this was a special night. The crowd were superb throughout - all in all one of the best liver performances I have seen from The Killers.

As for the Blu Ray it doesn't disappoint. Excellent picture quality and with a 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack that sounds fantastic. A nice touch with the pop-up menus which appear while you watch so you can easily select another track with the minimum of fuss.

Unlike many other live Blu Rays this one comes packed with extras. There is a great behind the scenes short (25 mins) that shows the fans, the band and the support crew and the huge amount of work that goes in to putting on a show like this. All of this done is an informative and, on occasion, funny way. Unusual for me that it was so good I watched it all! Also included are several extra tracks from live shows such as their Hyde Park performance. I have put up a scan from the rear cover should you want the full track list and extras and this can be found above.

In summary I find this to be the perfect blu ray for an amazing band that has captured them at their peak. Just wish we could have one for the Wembley show now!

Highly recommended.
review image
on 23 February 2010
My fifteen year old son got this for Xmas. Last night, he asked me to watch it with him. I'd only heard a couple of Killers songs and wasn't sure if I was bothered enough to watch a whole concert. I'm so pleased I did. Right from the start , I was so impressed. The Killers are brilliant live. I loved every song. The picture and sound quality is fantastic, especially if you have a home cinema set up. I also have to mention the other star of the show....the Albert Hall. The atmosphere was electric and everyone in the hall was involved.It reminded me so much of years ago, when I saw people like T Rex, Lindisfarne and John Miles play Newcastle City Hall.The whole place used to feel like it was bouncing. Yes, the big arenas allow lots of people to see their favourites, but the Albert Hall really is a special place and certainly helped to make this concert what it was....magnificent.
on 2 June 2011

on 11 December 2009
I was there at the Royal Albert Hall on the second night The Killers recorded their first live DVD. I went to this concert for two reason; the first was the beautiful iconic venue that the Albert Hall is; & the second was the fact that the concert was recorded, I`ve never been on an "official DVD" before, & I adore The Killers, so I thought it would be so special to be a part of this. And it was. And when I received my copy over the post, after waiting for a few months for it to be release, I watched it with some friends that same nite. For us, the ones that were at the Albert Hall that day, this DVD was a trip down memory lane...I felt so emotional when I heard the opening chords to "Human"! It transported me right back to the 6th of July; & the same applied for everyone else. The ones that weren`t there with me on that day, the Dvd was a great opportunity to get to know the band live, not through some bad youtube copy where the sound is awful & the image is not much better. This is the real thing, & the most accurate portrayal of what the real experience of a Killers performance feels like. All the favourite hits are there for everyone, & some b-sides & less known tracks for the hardcore fans; "Sweet talk" & "This river is wild" were a more than pleasant surprise for the ones like me that love those tracks, but never heard them live before.
Of course, The Killers trademark anthem: "I got sould but I`m not a soldier" was chanted with almost religious fervour. "Spaceman" had so much energy that the front man: Brandon Flowers, had to ask for a minute to catch his breath! Mark Stoermer`s opening bass guitar at the start of "Jenny was a friend of mine" is pure virtuosity, it`s so powerful that just hits you like a thunder, & that`s so rare of bass players these days. Now, mine & my friends personal favourite moment has to be their Extended performance of "Bling (confessions of a king)"...I mean, this track is so huge when is played live, & The Killers just built it up, & it gets bigger & bigger & bigger, until there`s this explosion & we finally are allowed to sing the lyrics we`ve been dying to sing aloud: "Higher & higher we`re gonna take it, down to the wire we`re gonna make it, out of the fire, higher & higher"
I mean, it doesn`t get better than that. If you`re a big Killers fan, this Dvd is just an indispensable addition to your collection as it captures the feel of their live performance, perfectly. If you are just a fan of their hits, or you`re only now getting to know their music, its a perfect way of getting started, as their live performance has got better than ever, & all their big hits are there, including: "Mr Brightside", "All these things I`ve done", "somebody told me", "when you were young"...special features include some more performances from this year`s summer festivals, & a documentary about the crew & the fans. Well worth your money!!
on 15 November 2009
I went to see the Killers at Newcastle on this year's tour. I knew they were good live but they surprised me just how good they were. They don't just go through the motions - they put on a show and aim to play everything perfectly and with feeling. I liked the group, but wasn't fanatical. I didn't think they could be as good live as Green Day, but they were. I left the gig hooked.

This cd and dvd package is superb and is a must for anyone who likes the Killers' music. Each product sold separately would represent good value but as a package represents fantastic value.
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2009
This twin set is very good value,the DVD alone lasts for over two hours and includes all their hits.The Royal Albert Hall is such a good venue and the quality is superb.Their sound is even better live and what a great front man is Brandon Flowers.They put on a good rock show without all the theatrics of dancers etc and the proof is a band that I hope will continue for many years to come.The planned covers album sounds really interesting.
on 6 March 2010
WOW! What more can I say?

THE best live DVD I have ever seen. The best band live that I've ever seen. Didn't get to go and see them when they did their tour, so was awaiting their DVD... and I was in no way let down.

The performance truly is amazing, which has left us watching it again and again.. and again. Perhaps the most played DVD in our house. And it's probably ruined our sound system too - we couldn't resist turning the volume up "higher and higher".

Includes all of their best songs. Camerawork is absolutely superb too. If you aren't a Killers fan before you see the DVD, you certainly will be by the time you've watched it. You will be watching in awe of their performance, or perhaps trying to match Brandon's stunning vocals.

Brandon is such an entertainer, not forgetting the fabulous Ronnie, Dave and Mark.

Included Live CD is also pretty good. However, I have to say that the atmosphere isn't quite the same.

Simply unbeatable! After this DVD, I have no doubt there will be EVEN more demand for tickets for their next tour (when will that be?)

Buy this DVD - you really will not regret it.