5.0 out of 5 stars Waxing moon
The best thing you can say about any movie's soundtrack is that it can stand on its own, and that no matter what you think of the movie, the soundtrack is chock full of amazing music.

Published on 16 Oct 2009 by E. A Solinas

1.0 out of 5 stars Only brought this for my brothers girlfriend
Not my cup of tea at all, my brothers girlfriend is obsessed with this stuff so bought it as a christmas present. was a tough choice wether to wrap it or burn it . delivery and condition were good though its just the product itself i dont like
Published 18 months ago by CL

5.0 out of 5 stars Waxing moon, 16 Oct 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: New Moon - Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)

And the soundtrack to "New Moon" is one of those -- apparently the people behind it have gone completely indie in their tastes. Whether you love or hate the teen-vampire-infatuation flick, it's undeniable that the soundtrack is bursting with brilliant bands -- angular rock'n'roll and lush echoing pop, some of it well-known (Muse, Thom Yorke) and some relative obscure (Grizzly Bear, Lykke Li).

"Meet me on the equinox/Meet me halfway/The sun is perched at its highest peak/In the middle of the day... " Ben Gibbard sings distantly as the gentle guitars swirl around him. A storm of drums builds up every time he laments that "everything, everything ends," as his pronouncements about an unknown lover become eerier and more surreal ("A window/An open tomb/The sun crawls across your bedroom/A halo/A waning moon/Your last breath moving through you").

There's a pretty good showing of solid rock'n'roll following Death Cab For Cutie's memorable introduction -- Band of Skulls provides the buzzing, blunt-edged rocker "Friends," Hurricane Bells erupts in a buzzing storm of fuzzy bass and sharp beats with "Monsters," and Sea Wolf's "The Violet Hour" is a swirling little pop-rocker that seems to trickle down the reverberating guitar.

Then there's Thom Yorke, whose buzzy-edged electronic "Hearing Damage" is a furtive, dark little rush of sinister beauty. And of course, Muse is included in the stomping, mournful rocker "I Belong To You (New Moon Remix)."

Some of these bands are also going unexpectedly low-key to suit the mood, even if they're usually much louder. The Killers turn out the dramatic layered lament of "A White Demon Love Song," while Black Rebel Motorcycle unfurl a twangy lo-fi ballad "Done All Wrong." OK GO abandon their usual sound in favor of the trippy psychedelic-edged "Shooting The Moon," and the Editors dip into a dramatic, hauntingly sad piano-rock sound with "No Sound But The Wind" ("Help me to carry the fire/it will light our way forever..."

But some brilliant indie pop also makes the cut. Lykke Li's "Possibility" is a shimmering, icy little melody, while Anya Marina sticks to acoustic guitar riddled with organ in the whispery "Satellite Heart." The absolute highlights of the album: Bon Iver and St. Vincent collaborate on the otherworldly, hymnlike "Roslyn," and Grizzly Bear's exquisite "Slow Life" is a slow haunting build to a celestial climax.

For the record, I'm not a fan of "New Moon" or Stephenie Meyers' Twilight series in general. But I felt a prickle go down my spine when I saw the songs listed for the soundtrack -- they've crammed it with one brilliant band after another, ranging from hard rock'n'roll to soft, sweet ballads. In fact, the only one that failed to move me was Alexandre Desplat's outro -- frankly, it was four minutes of boredom for me.

Otherwise, the playlist sets a wonderful mood -- think a mingling of bittersweet romanticism and outright melancholy, with lots of slowly winding piano, buzzing guitar, acoustics and ghostly veils of electronica and organ. The singers' voices range from dramatic laments (Matt Bellamy) to quirky murmurs (Anya Marina), and their lyrics tend to reflect two themes: loss ("How much pain has cracked your soul?/How much love would make you whole?") and love ("Even though you're only one I see/I've got to set you free...").

Even those who are not (and probably never will be) fans of the Twilight phenomenon should immerse themselves in the "New Moon Soundtrack." Taken on its own merits, it's still a haunting string of beautiful songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 1 Jan 2010
I totally loved the soundtrack to the original Twilight film as it had come out of the starting gates very strongly, and I had mixed views about the New Moon soundtrack when I watched it. I'd been looking forward to the Muse track and actually missed it while watching as it was so subtly placed in the film. It was only after downloading the soundtrack and listening several times, followed by another couple of viewings of the film that I was able to place which track came where. Now that I've played it a few times, it has grown on me and I feel it's a shame that only small segments of the music were actually used. My one criticism is the tracks don't flow quite right for me.

My absolute favourite track is the Hurricane Bells one, followed by the Thom Yorke one - both of which WERE used to great effect in their respective breathtaking scenes. What I have found though is that I don't have the same compulsion to play this CD that I did with Twilight's music. I tend to zero in on the same two tracks and play them repeatedly. I wish that Rob Pattinson had contributed to the album for the intimacy the original soundtrack engendered. That does not make this a bad album - just perhaps a reflection of my lack of patience with it for some reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 22 Nov 2009
Amazing soundtrack to a fantastic film. The songs are very well chosen and are great to listen to. I would recommend this to any fans of the film. :) great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a grower, 9 Dec 2009
J. Simon "blue foundation" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Initially I wasn't too impressed with the songs. It took me a while to get used to the tracks, after watching the film it all makes more sence. The brilliantly fitting tracks are Possibility by Lykke Li and Thom Yorke's Hearing Damage. A variety of bands are represented on this album and yet they all fit with the mood of the film with similar slightly melancholic songs. My favourite is the Killers The white demon song, so brilliant and you can hear it in the lyrics that it was specifically written for the movie. Lykke Li's song also was written for the movie and fits so well into the scene when Bella is in deep depression and just sits by the window. Satellite Heart by Anya Marina is a great song with again fitting lyrics. I could mention all the artists from the album with individual credits to all as I think the song selection is great. The version I have includes Thunderclap-Eskimo Joe, if you can, listen to that song too, also great. The best thing about this soundtrack that it would stand on its own, great bands represented with brilliant songs on one indy style album. Even if you are not into the whole twilight thing this album could still make it onto your shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only brought this for my brothers girlfriend, 28 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, 23 Aug 2011
Bought this CD as liked track 3 10 and 4 the other tracks in the film were ok but think these three were brill
what I did not expect was after playing CD a few times found I liked all of the tracks. CD best played whilst driving alone v loud that way you do not hiss off other people. A real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Moon soundtrack, 24 Mar 2010
N. Morris - See all my reviews
I bought this before I saw New Moon at the cinema and it was interesting to see how the songs were entwined in the movie. Not entirely sure whether I prefer this soundtrack or the Twilight soundtrack because I think each have their individual gems; Meet Me On The Equinox, I Belong To You, Rosyln and New Moon (The Meadow) being my favorites from this album.

The whole album has a refreshing indie sound contrasting to the Twilight soundtrack's more rocky feel. I particularly love Bon Iver on this album; consequently I bought a full Bon Iver album which has hit the spot on my musical pallet.

Must for any Twilight fan; would suggest buying before you've seen the movie if you can because it's a nicer experience to see how it's merged with the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Moon. The original Motion Picture Soundtrack ., 16 Nov 2009
Lynn Maw ""Wiccanbuff"" (York. England.) - See all my reviews
An amazing soundtrack. Whether youre a Twihard fan or not.. you will appreciate the music excellence from these fantastic artisis.A very different soundtrack to that of Twilight. This is serious music. Well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best compilations of 2009, 26 Dec 2009
With this soundtrack, music supervisor Alexandra Patsavas has outdone herself yet again. The woman who was behind the wonderfully refreshing "Music from The O.C.", who earned a Grammy for "Grey's Anatomy", and who is also responsible for the highly successful (and well-chosen) soundtrack of the first "Twilight" film, has assembled an eclectic mix of previously unreleased songs from numerous Indie-gods. With this, she strikes home and absolutely nails the tone and feeling of the story - maybe even that of a generation.
Those who know the heartbreaking tale of loss, friendship, sacrifice, and love, will suffer with protagonist Bella immediately upon hearing the melancholic songs. Even most of the lyrics mirror the story exactly and take the listener on a rollercoaster ride of emotions.
But this CD also creates a very unique and autonomous tone of its own that emotionally carries the movie further. It is one of the rare gems which prove that soundtracks can be much more than a random, insignificant musical underscore of motion pictures. This is why I strongly (and without hesitation) recommend this compilation also - or maybe especially - to those who have outgrown their teenage years and who do not know or like the books or movies, but who merely treasure good music.

3.0 out of 5 stars It just a sound track, 20 Nov 2009
J. Haycraft (U.K) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves Twilight and having read previous reviews for this c.d before buying it I thought it would be a great sound track and that she would love it. Edgy bands and moody music equals a c.d that will invoke depression in most people. However I tried to keep an open mind, Some tracks are better than others. I am a big Killers fan and even their track wasn't one of the better ones. Great if you are a die hard Twiglet fan( spelling mistake intentional)but it is only a sound track and to be honest I have heard better ones.