5.0 out of 5 stars After many years of listening....
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by steven music fan james

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Will give it to a charity shop ,a most awful unappealing collection of tunes.I really wanted a CD of her glorious folk music.
Published 11 days ago by Derek Woodford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars After many years of listening...., 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
this has got to be the best collection of songs that Cerys has ever made (including Catatonia ) . This is an album like albums used to be made , songs that each have a standout quality of their own , but when heard together sound like they are from the same place. The single Arlington Way has been a big hit on the radio , I must have heard it a dozen times , but it sounded like a huge breath of fresh air when it kicks off the album here , and then "Into The Blue " comes gently in . "Woke up this morning like I've always done , with a strong cup of coffee and a sense of things to come , I raise my arms to the sky just to see if they have grown , seems the longer that you live , the more there is to know " .It's immediate and sounds like a hit single , but after the four plays I have given this album today , it just doesn't wear .
I keep picking up great one liner lyrics each time I listen .
"The Captain Needs A Ship "sounds like a wayward sea shanty , "Aeroplane " has a stillness , easy to use the word beautiful every other word , but it truly is , alongside "Evelyn " . My favourite track is none of these (but all of them) . "It's What's Left " is just kickin , full on , with a drum break that may be among the best of all time , I can't think of ever hearing a song like it . I don't want to read reviews that always seem to say an album is the best an artist has made , or the worst come to that . BUT , this is such a brilliant "album" that it is more than just the best album that Cerys Matthews has ever sung on , it is the best album I have heard by a contemporary artist , i can't remember the last one to compare it too .

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerys Rocks!, 6 Oct 2009
Ms. D. W. Rees "Dolly- Daydream" (Denbighshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
Excellent album. Less folk than her last albums as an artist in her own right.
'Don't look Down' takes you through a journey of different moods. Her voice is better than ever and her musicians are super talented. I have seen them live in several theatre gigs now and this album evokes the same intimate atmosphere.
I prefer some of the songs sang in Welsh, such as Spider and the fly and Evelyn, but think its an excellent idea to release the album in 2 versions. I'd say she pulls it off, though her voice will never fail to charm me. Sometimes sweet and soft, other times reminiscent of the mighty voice we heard back in the Catatonia days, yet purer and stronger than ever today.
Would recommend to anyone who appreciates quality music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expect the unexpected, 6 Oct 2009
Ms. Rachel Wilson "Rach-Wils" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
One of the many great things about Cerys Matthews is her ability to dream up something new and surprising with each release. This album is no exception to that rule. It opens with the gorgeous first single `Arlington Way', which leads into an array of individual gems that sit alongside each other beautifully. `Into The Blue' has an unusual rhythm and great lyrics...
`I'm not looking for trouble, trouble always finds me and I recognise it coming and I don't want to see it leave'
It almost feels like an invitation to enter into the rest of the album.
You get everything on one CD... slow, sensual, dreamy, jaunty, soaring, dancing, sweeping, soft bits, shouty bits, great guitars, brilliant drums.
You can even get a Welsh version.
What more could you ask for?
It's great on CD, but if you ever get the opportunity to see Cerys on tour, then grab it with both hands. She is one very special lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerys creates a masterpiece, 21 Jan 2010
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
As most of the customer reviews say it all, I just want to confirm to anyone who has even the slightest interest in Cerys, Catatonia, welsh music, or to have an album in your collection that you'll want to cherish forever - Then BUY THIS! I swear, this is such a beautiful, sublime piece of work that just gets under your skin. It's all so personal, which gives it the appeal to those of us who veer towards the artistic, tortured, creative, expressive world that seems so rare in music these days. You wallow and swim gently in all of the wonderful innovative sounds and inspiring lyrics. When this disc arrived I felt that I needed to prepare for it's first hearing. Alone in the house, a big mug of milky coffee, shoes off, phone unplugged and enough comfort to allow every song seep into the brain. One of the loveliest experiences I've had for a long time! I just can't pick a favourite, every song is a piece of art in it's own right, with a personality and a story that takes you on a journey of fragile, yet wholly expressed meaning. As another reviewer said, she almost whispers when she needs and belts it out of those great celtic lungs when required! "Salutations" has the melody that any songwriter would want to compose, with a string arrangement that sounds like it's being played by angels! Everytime I hear her say "Come home" I just cannot stop the tears! Cerys how can you better this? Thank God that the music world still has a place for artists of this calibre. An album that becomes a classic after one hearing, for me is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A F-antastic-abulous Album..., 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
I'd already heard 'Arlington Way' countless times I adore Cerys' backing vocals "...dream may come true..." with that light ethereal wispy voice, that touch alone shows how much care, consideration and feeling has been put into this album and it continues on throughout. By the second track I was already sold the jaunty 'Into The Blue' a lively feel good song instantly likable as it is memorable. I won't drag on the review all I'll say is the genius musician Mason Neely is an added bonus and Cerys is as talented as she is lovely. Three words to sum up:- Brilliant Memorable Songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Labels again, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
My only complaint, which I have mentioned elsewhere with this and all the CDs I have brought is the label on the back. It is fine if the item is shrink wrapped. This one like a lot of others was not. These labels are impossible to fully remove and leave a sticky patch on the back of the case . with this item the label again covered the song titles. Fine if you have to use these labels, but could you not put them in a corner at least or use a label that can be peeled off easily or use a smaller unobtrusive label that doers not spoil the case. One of my CDs has the label smack in the centre hiding all the details for the CD. having purchased 50+ CDs over the past two months and planning to buy many more I now have to consider buying elsewhere to avoid this problem. It is such a shame that what is an excellent service should be spoilt by a silly label that only tells you have a new product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
What a FANTASTIC album the best yet from cerys mathews, From begining to end i couldnt wait for the next track, great to unwind to or a dinner party well done Cerys

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 14 Oct 2009
Cool Dog (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
Loved Arlington Way on hearing it just the once and ordered the album on the strength of it. I have played it through a couple of times now and It's brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerys is back, 7 Oct 2009
D. Davies "music guru" (Cardigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (MP3 Download)
What a voice, and what a collection of tunes. They just keep coming one after the other. Simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the wonderful world of Cerys Matthews, 7 Oct 2009
Mr. P. Brown "peanut01" (Crawley West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
What an amazing album this is. Each song is a stand alone song which shouts out hit.
From the beautiful songs such as Evelyn and Oranges to Florida, to the upbeat tempos of Smash The Glass, Into The Blue and It's What's Left(That Makes It Right)- incidentally which is very Catatonia style.
Then we have at last the English versions of some terrific songs , Spider And The Fly and Aeroplanes , as well as Cerys's single release Arlington Way with it's James Bond sounding feel.
The album propels Cerys to new heights as an exceptional songwriter and singer who stands out from the pack with her unique voice and versatile singing range. And to make things more interesting you can listen to all these songs and more on her Welsh version album released at the same time.
I could go on, describing the other songs on the album as each is sheer brilliance and needs to be listened to to appreciate her talent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›