4.0 out of 5 stars Proper Rucksack Style Camera Bag
Published on 2 Mar 2010 by J. Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars Trekker 600 review
I bought this recently for a Wildlife trip to Skomer.
I needed something that would take a 600mm lens plus a couple of cameras etc...

Basically, if that is what you want to do then this bag is your only choice as far as I can tell!
It is very well made and comfy to carry. Mine weighed in at 20kgs with my kit in it so be warned!
From a design...
Published on 30 July 2010 by Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper Rucksack Style Camera Bag, 2 Mar 2010
J. Birch "bluesplayer43" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Photo Backpack (Electronics)
My mountaineering days have long since past so I can't comment on use of this bag on long treks out in the wilderness but I can comment on it's day-to-day use. I've upgraded from the Vertex 200 which although similar in size and a very good bag, just lacked that little space for those non-photographic extras, such as your packed lunch and a flask! The 400 just provides that bit more usable space that renders the bag a much more practical prospect for me. Don't let the traditional rucksack appearance mislead you however, it's just the same camera compartment underneath that exterior, and although listed with the same internal dimensions of the Vertex 200 (on the Lowepro website) it is actually 1/2" deeper. That little bit extra depth being ideal for portable 2-1/2" hard drives which now fit with ease. The main compartment is practically identical to the Vertex 200, so not much change there. The pockets inside the top cover are a different layout however, and contain 4 dedicated memory card pockets with tabs on the front which can be set to show whether the card is empty or has been used. The card slots are rather a tight for a CF flash card within it's plastic case and I found it a struggle to get them in, although I presume this will become easier with frequent use. The layout of the other pockets I found not as good as the Vertex, and there is only one longer narrower pocket suitable for brushes, pens and a torch etc. The pocket zips are vertical orientation (not horizontal like the Vertex) which makes getting things in and out of the bottom pocket not as easy. I think a little more thought could have been put into the design of these.

With the 400 you get two large sized outside pockets, one contains a drawstring liner suitable for a hydration pack (which I don't intend to use) and the other contains a couple of passport size slip-in open pockets and a couple more CF memory pockets. The hydration side I find ideal for a flask and water bottle and it's just about long enough to fit a small flash and small water bottle together with lateral space for other stuff too. You could put a rolled up waterproof in either of these pockets.

You loose a dedicated zipped laptop pocket with the 400, which is now just an open slip-in pocket on the outside of the bag. The bag comes with a tight fitting, matching, zipped, laptop cover however, suitable for a 15-inch laptop. Be aware however, that outside pocket in which the laptop is supposed to fit is very tight, and if you have anything but a slim modern laptop it may not fit. This seems like a major faux Pas on behalf of Lowepro and you really need to see if you laptop fits before buying. I've knocked a star off for this alone; it wouldn't have taken much to make this a tad bigger to cope with the majority of 15-inch laptops.

On top of the bag, and what gives it that rucksack like appearance is a small removable waist-pack. I've not tried wearing it as a waist-pack alone but it has it's own belt tucked away. It is quite small however, and plus you now have to undo two snap clips before you can get to the main compartment zips. It's no big deal to do this I found, so I've chosen to leave the waist-pack attached. It has two small zipped pockets big enough for a small pack lunch perhaps and few accessories, but not big enough for a large waterproof.

The 400 is very well constructed with the usual Lowepro rugged fabrics. It has the AW waterproof cover but I've taken the bag out in some heavy down pours without the AW cover and everything was kept totally dry. The bag has a adjustable-torso harness system. It's attached with very strong Velcro which can be detached and adjusted with the Pack Jack tool contained within the back of the pack. I found the straps comfortable even with a tripod attached. Most importantly for me, the waist belt can be removed also, which I seldom need especially when taking the bag on a plane.

The bag contains three tripod holders, which are just tubes of material on each side and the back of the bag where you can slide in your tripod legs. I have to say these work really well and it's now a doddle to carry your tripod. No more silly attachments to add. There also a hidden fold down pocket on the back to hold the feet of a (long) tripod but I found 2 legs of my Gitzo 3541-LS just slotted in easily and I had no need to do anything else. The bag has additional straps to fasten the tripod securely but I seldom needed to use these.

The 400 is very smart looking bag and all-in-all this is one of Lowepro's superior designs. It's not perfect and it is considerably more expensive that many other bags which will hold the same amount of equipment. However, it is very well built, adaptable, and should protect your precious camera equipment for many years to come. Highly recommended.

If you wish to know more, I have a more comprehensive review on my blog (just search for johnbirchphotography)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb pro camera backpack, massive interior, 1 May 2010
R. M. Brown "Ray Brown" (County Antrim, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
Lowepro are well known for their quality and variety of professional photographic related products. This is a massive backpack that has been well designed to carry all your camera equipment, including a padded laptop case and safe carrying space. I carry a lot of equipment with me, two professional camera bodies, 7 or more pro lenses, including enough kit to stock a small photographic shop. This backpack carries it all with space to spare. From a purely design perspective the backpack has all the carrying technology that many of the top of the range outdoor manufacturers use with various straps to allow the comfortable carrying of all your valuable equipment. There are pockets for everything and you can even carry your tripod using the pouches provided on the rear.You can remove the top of the backpack and use it as a beltbag. Excellent product, the best I have used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic upgrade to the PhotoTrekker II, 13 April 2010
Steve D (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Photo Backpack (Electronics)
Just got this bag to replace a much worn PhotoTrekker II AW and am very impressed. The damn thing is like a Tardis! It appears to be no larger on the outside than the PhotoTrekker, but it fits much more on the inside. Pro Nikon DSLRs now fit completely, without sticking out too far. The inside appears about 1.5cm deeper, though it still (just) conforms to the BAA luggage specs. I have managed to fit far more in the new bag, although the fact that I had a few spare inserts (including small square ones to allow 2 small lenses in one lens slot) really helps!

The thing that always used to let LowePro bags down was the interior organisation. This bag excels - it is smart! Very smart! There are a number of pockets and much better ways of sorting accessories and non-photographic gear. A couple of slots for spare memory cards, a number of zip pockets and a side pocket with full organisation which will be perfect for passports etc. It even takes a hydration system, though I will probably use that for a 300mm lens instead!

I have only just got this bag, but I already love the thing and can't wait for the first overseas trip with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Trekker 600, 17 Dec 2010
Mr. Peter Milner "Jeep4500" (Swadlincote) - See all my reviews
This bag is big enough for all my camera equipment with some room to grow as well. It holds two large zoom lenses, one wide angle zoom lens, one camera body, flashgun, filters and other associated equipment. I have not used it in the rain yet so cannot comment on the protection but beleive me when I say that with all that equipment, sandwiches and a drink plus the tripodit is not light and will keep me fit. The quality is excellent and if it lasts as long as a previous Lowepro bag I will be more than happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's enormous!!!, 11 Jun 2012
I have two SLRs and a few lenses, so I thought this would be good to own. I'm sure that is the case, but I had not realised that it is absolutely massive. As usual with Lowepro, it has been extremely well designed and constructed, so if you want something that can take 2-3 bodies, 4 or 5 lenses and a couple of flash units, this will be perfect. But bear in mind that it is pretty voluminous !

4.0 out of 5 stars The best bag ever - almost, 7 Feb 2011
Dr. A. R. Cameron "Alan C" (Blackpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Photo Backpack (Electronics)
After a lot of reading up I decided that this was the bag for my EOS 5D Mk II kit and I haven't been disappointed.

I do a lot of walking and I was determined that whatever bag I got would have a proper harness and on this score it gets full marks. I have only used it a couple of times, but on each occasion it was fantastically comfortable and made my kit (body, 5 lenses, flash and odds and ends) felt easily carryable all day. Even with my tripod and head attached it felt fairly stable - the centre of gravity was a little pushed to the back, but you can't change physics, and it is a better option than side carrying a sizeable tripod. The side pockets are a good size and I was able to slip my flask into the water pouch and carry my mug and lunch without any problems.

The main zips are waterproof and at the moment quite stiff, but they give great access to kit, and I'l not worried about laying it down to do get access.

The idea of the detachable top pocket is good. It comfortably swallows my Lee filters and when I don't need them I simply detach it. When we go to India next year I think I'll put that part in my main luggage so that the bag is closer to regulation size.

So why four stars and not five? It's simply because the tripod straps can't be firmly fixed in place. Unclipped, they slip through one of a series of loops on the back of the bag so that they can be placed where you want to support your tripod correctly. This is all well and good, but in the field opening the main front flap without carefully snapping them closed can lead to the straps falling out, and therefore they are easily lost. This is less of a problem when one is on hard ground, but in long grass I can see people losing one or both of these straps rather too easily. I think I'll sew mine in place. I'm also aware that the easy access to the laptop slot is well and good, but that makes it easy to fall out too. I suggest a zip to close it would be more effective than the current arrangement. That said I rarely carry the laptop but would like to see it more securely stowed.

All in all, an excellent capacious bag, comfortable to walk in for long periods and ticks most of the boxes. There are a few minor niggles that need to be addressed to make this the perfect bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome bag from Harrison cameras, 5 Nov 2010
The trekker 300 is awesome, more room than most will ever need. Very well made and worth every penny. Fantastic service from Harrison cameras as well, will use them again without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic bag to carry all and then some, 4 July 2010
Brilliant and only product I could find to carry all the gear I need. Mind you pretty sure I wont be allowed to use it as hand luggage on my next flight.
Yes this bag will take a Canon pro body with the Canon 600mm f4 IS lens plus extra bodies lens etc.
Weight is the big issue but if you need it you just got to carry it.
Zips and clips all seem usual Lowepro quality ie fantastic and I notice the zips are the new design that are pretty water resistant. On the talk of keep your kit ddry the included pull out cover works really well.
No problems reccomending this to anyone

3.0 out of 5 stars Trekker 600 review, 30 July 2010
I bought this recently for a Wildlife trip to Skomer.
I needed something that would take a 600mm lens plus a couple of cameras etc...

From a design point of view then I think it is rubbish!...
There is a side pocket for a drink system, if you are not using the drinks system then it is one side of the bag you cannot really use for anything much else! The other side pocket is better designed. 3 places to put your tripod is ok I guess but the tripod is always longer than the bag so it is difficult to handle. Bag length is too short, in my opinion, you can only fit in the 600mm lens ( Canon ) with a camera body on the end just about but forget the 1.4 converter. This basically means if you are lbj hunting then the camera is not prepared when you lift it out the bag! If you want to put another camera and lens combination in then that can be accommodated by moving the dividers but it's a bit of a squeeze.
Top of the bag detaches and you can use it like a bum bag... nice idea but the 2 very basic pockets are a pain. ie. when attached to the bag and you open the zip... everything falls out!

Nothing else on the market comes close, it does the job but despite the design rather than because of it! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Photography bag, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Photo Backpack (Electronics)
Excellent bag with loads of room and offers good support when carrying heavy pro gear, reasonable delivery and good price. Would use again.

Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Photo Backpack