5.0 out of 5 stars Works well once you learn how to switch it on
Ordered Thursday. Delivered Saturday! Excellent.

Published on 28 Jan 2012 by Mr. B. S. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but too variable
Published on 16 Feb 2011 by I. Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well once you learn how to switch it on, 28 Jan 2012
Mr. B. S. Smith "Bazza" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salter 9018S SV3R Electronic Glass Platform Bathroom Scale (Personal Care)
Ordered Thursday. Delivered Saturday! Excellent.

The instructions are quite basic - just text, no pictures or drawings. Removing the plastic isolating tab to activate the battery, it looks as if you can just pull this out, but I found you need to remove the battery first. I recommend you handle the battery with a tissue or handkerchief. These batteries have a very low capacity and however clean you think your hands are, you can drain some power by just handling the battery with direct skin contact.

The Amazon description states that it comes with 2 batteries, but there was only one (and only one is needed) which was already in the battery compartment. The instructions don't give any indication of battery life. Based on my experience with similar equipment I would expect it to last 12 to 18 months, obviously depending on how much the scales are used. The instructions state that the display will show 'Lo' when the battery needs replacing.

I found the switch-on needs quite a firm tap with the foot. I found it best with just the toes, rather than a flat foot. It may take you a few attempts to determine just how firm a tap is needed. Many reviewers (on all bathroom scales, not just this model) have commented on the different readings the scales give when they place it on a different surface. I believe the main reason for this is that they are placing the scales on a surface where one of the feet is not firmly on the floor and the scales will rock, so check for that before criticising the scales. I've tried them on a hard floor (wetroom) and on a carpet with the "carpet feet" suplied and got the same reading.

I consider these to be mid-price scales and well worth the asking price. The 15 year guarantee is a bonus, but most modern electronic items are very reliable. Barring mis-use, if they are still working in 1 months time I would fully expect them to be working in 10 years time.

All I have to do now is go on a diet and see how much weight I can loose :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Salter bathroom scales, 30 Oct 2009
Sandra (Portsmouth Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Used these at my friends house, Impressed with them so I bought my own. As with any bathroom scales I use them in the same place every time otherwise I have found they will give different readings.This I believe applies to most scales. Looks good and can see digits without my glasses.

5.0 out of 5 stars new scales, 3 Sep 2011
I love my new scales. They are lightweight, clean looking and bang accurate. I get weighed in the same place and time each week and so far they do not lie to me. Would recomend to anyone on a budget. Do remember to place the scales on a solid floor or tiled/laminate and not on carpet to get a true reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed views., 25 May 2011
Mark Le Sueur "Jersey Bean" (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This product is fine and good value, but only after I used a bit of Blu Tack to hold the battariy firmly in position. Otherwise great

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but too variable, 16 Feb 2011
These scales look great, nice unobtrusive design. Generally they are accurate.....ish, which when you are trying to motivate yourself to lose a few pounds is not helpful. Had these for 2 months now, and regularly get variances of + or - 4, even 5 pounds (same time,place, day of week). So an overall variance of up to 10lbs - I am confused, demotivated and bored with these - off to the dump we go....

4.0 out of 5 stars A weighty issue, 17 Oct 2011
I have had several sets of scales in the last few years, none of which I have felt confident in. These are better, they seem to be well made and consistent in their weighing, which of course is the main thing! At the price I think they are a good buy, so if you are not afraid of the truth when you step on the scales...............

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 2 Mar 2011
Kerry Dolan (SURBITON, Surrey, GB) - See all my reviews
I bought these scales after reading positive reviews, also the brand name promised good things. I recieved the product in good time, packaging was ok, I was excited to try them out. They come with little feet extensions for use on carpeted areas. I tried them out on wooden flooring and my carpeted area, there was a difference in reading of 5lbs! This was the start of my dissapointment. By day two, they wouldnt switch on, despite changing the battery, then they decided that they would switch on, then promptly switch off again. I dont know if anyone else has had the same problem. Tried to contact seller, no reply. All in all, waste of money. If I could award zero stars, I would.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken quickly, 31 July 2010
I have purchased the scales just over a year ago, and was initally very pleased. Easy to read display and good looking fitting into just about any setting.
However all of a sudden it started giving false readings - approx 15kg under the actual weight. (I wish!) I have tried replacing the battery but that didn't help. I guess the scales are non repairable and it hurts me greatly that something that had little use is now going to landfill - I would expect scales to last a lot longer than that!!
By little use I mean I used it once a week, and as I tend to shower at work not as if my bathroom gets steamy a lot apart from maybe the weekends. Definately expect more than 1 years use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great scales, 1 Dec 2011
T. Keen (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Work really well so far. They do come with adaptors for use on carpet but I'm using the scales on a hard woord floor and they work just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars looks great, hard to change the units..., 13 July 2010
J. Armstrong (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The glass platform looks great / neutral, and I imagine suites lots of suites, from granite to Formica.

The thrill of balancing on a little glass platform is a wee taste of the glass floor in the sky tower, for the dietary thrill seekers in our midst.

No problems with the accuracy - all the electronic scales seem pretty good, though it could be more flattering on carpet, or Mondays.

The one issue that I have is that changing the units is a PITA. If one of you likes lb, another prefers the smaller number displayed in stones, or the teenagers in your midst prefer those foreign kg things, you have to lift it up, open up the battery cover and poke around in a small black space with a sharp object until the switch clicks into place.

Fine if your family is in complete unit accordance. That said - I haven't found another model that spans the generations any better.