5.0 out of 5 stars One of the more mature brands
With a plentiful choice of brands and services - AVG have carved out a reputation as a trusty 'old reliable' in the crowded 'protection market'.
This particular package is presented in the form of a USB stick (clever). Netbooks, or any other PC without a disk drive, will suit this. Before I proceed further, let me just answer the burning question. No, the drive is...
Published on 14 April 2010 by Mr. B. R. Good

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Windows AV product but with some pluses
This anti-virus/spyware software might be unique as it comes on a USB drive to allow installation on Netbooks. That said since all Netbook owner (more or less) will have internet access the benefit is less clear. Further, if you haven't got internet access you may not need AV software at all.

I found it a little confusing about what I was getting. I was getting...
Published on 17 Mar. 2010 by Dr. Paul Ell

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and convienient, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: AVG Internet Security v9, 3 User, 1 Year subscription, Netbook Card on USB (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried other USB anti-Virus's and this is the more effective that I have tried, having a Netbook with no disc-drive this is exactly what I needed to protect my system.
It was easy to install, required an update straight away but that was easily sorted and now it is quietly protecting my system! I haven't noticed the performance being any slower since installing, so i'd say it's a good price for a good product and you know you can't go wrong with AVG, I haven't encountered any problems what so ever, so I think that's the sign of a good anti-virus!
Recommended, and fantastic price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and easy to configure, 20 Mar. 2010
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using AVG Free for about 4 years but have never gone in for the whole security suite, so when I saw this on Vine I jumped at it. I now have AVG internet security on my desktop PC and my girlfriends laptop (it's a 3 user license), and so far I've been extremely impressed (and I've seen a lot of AV packages, I'm an IT technician).

Even though it says netbook card + USB, in reality all this is is a USB stick that contains the installer for AVG Internet Security (thee reason they call it a netbook edition is a lot of netbooks don't have CD drives, hence supplying it on a key instead of CD. The actual software itself is exactly the same as the normal version.

Installation is easy, just insert the USB key which will show up as a CD drive, and the software will automatically run. A few easy clicks and a reboot, and you're off. Mostly the program configures itself, and is a fully featured bit of kit. In addition to the antivirus / antispyware components, you also get a link scanner that will tell you if a google link for example is safe, dodgy or dangerous, a rootkit scanner, an email scanner that's already picked up several email viruses and quarantined them, and a fully trainable spam filter. This actually works so well I've turned off my Yahoo account spam filter and the Outlook filter, and let AVG handle everything. It seems to do a better job of catching genuine junk and letting through stuff I want. Also, you get a firewall, online shield, resident shield and identity protection.

I haven't noticed any major system overhead being taken up by AVG on either of the machines I've put it on (one is Vista and the other Windows 7). The only problem I've found so far that isn't sorted by the software itself and requires some technical jiggery pokery is that the firewall will block media sharing across a home network via Windows Media player. I like to share my music and video libraries on my home network, from my main pc to the laptop and my Xbox 360. While Windows Media Center works absolutely fine, streaming music using the Xbox 360 dashboard requires you to either turn the firewall off (I've done this as my pc sits behind a Netgear firewall router anyway so I don't need a software one), or to add a rule into the firewall settings to allow the necessary ports through the firewall. It's not to hard to set this up, and there are some detailed instructions on the AVG support site, however they don't include Windows 7 instructions (don't panic if this applies to you, the instructions on how to get this working for Vista also apply to Windows 7). So this is why the 1 star has been docked. That said, it's a very specific problem with an easy fix.

All in all, I'm completely happy with AVG and will continue using them for the forseeable future. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea from AVG, 1 Mar. 2010
Shaz17 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just love this idea for netbooks and wish more company would follow suit. It doesn't upset me that the dongle isn't a big enough size to reuse after, as you cant use the CD or DVD's can you?

I found it a doddle to put this on my daughter netbook, and didn't take to long installing. Yes it had to connect to download the newest database etc but the one from the CD does that too. It performed a scan as soon as it was set up and found nothing, which was good news indeed.

Same top quality Internet Security on a very useful USB dongle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value software, nice media format, 25 Feb. 2010
DJ Bez (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
AVG is my favourite AV software. I've been using it ever since it was first published, and this product is ideal for those that have a netbook without CD drive and who don't like giving credit card details over the internet. That doesnt include me (I don't mind giving card details over the net) but can see the appeal of the product.

The software is great - only downside? The USB stick is literally just for the software. I was hoping it would be a 1GB unit that could be reused - it isn't its TINY and read only!

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly internet security, 16 Mar. 2010
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have previously been using AVG's free anti virus software, and have wondered if there's any benefit to trading up. Having been using the Internet Security package for about a month now, it's hard to say - but then it would be if something like this works, because you shouldn't notice it.

Installing the Internet security was very simple, possibly simplified because it was in effect just adding to what I already had. This means anti-spyware, identity protection and more. You can install a firewall if you need one (I didn't) and there's a strong scheduled scan which will check your computer for any security threats. The first time you load up, you'll probably need to download information for the virus database, which can be hefty if you're using 3G or something other than a broadband package. After that it just buzzes away in the background.

So far, I've had no problems. The scan sometimes causes programs to slow down as it kicks in, which can be annoying, but is partially due to the processing power of my laptop, but a problem I used to get, where Windows would tell me AVG wasn't switched on - even though it was - seems to have been dealt with.

As this software can be downloaded to three different PCs, I think it's good value and I have no complaints

5.0 out of 5 stars Top brand, top product, 21 Mar. 2010
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you've ever typed 'free antivirus program reviews' into a search engine, you'll probably have read about AVG Free and how it's one of the best security products money can't buy. You're also probably aware that the paid version is even better.

Installing this on a netbook is a doddle. Just plug it in, run the installer and away you go. Top level protection with no real hit on computer performance. The only small niggle was the software not appearing to be activated despite entering the license number correctly. This problem disappeared on reboot.
The program itself is essentially AVG Internet Security, the name has just been changed on the packaging here simply as it comes on a USB drive.

AVG is 'up there' with Norton, McAfee and Kaspersky etc. but the marvellous plus here is that you get software updates as well as virus updates free for the whole of your 1yr, 3 PC license. That can't be beaten.
Perhaps though, as netbook users will already have a net connection, it would be more efficient and better on the environment just to have a download only option. I doubt you'd use the USB drive again.

The software looks good, works fine and is reliable. You can't want more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy installation for cd driveless machines, 12 Mar. 2010
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Part of me thinks this is a criminal waste of resources - a usb stick to replace a cd which could all be replaced by a quick download (which the update process does anyway after you install it anyway!!!!)

that aside I've installed it on 3 machines (all windows 7) and it was quick and easy

I've used avg free and paid versions for years and never had a live virus so am happy to recommend this - good value for 3 machines.

3.0 out of 5 stars Resource-heavy compared to Norton, 20 Sept. 2012
N. Dodd (Beaconsfield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The major selling point for me in getting the AVG Internet Security Suite was the fact that it came on a USB stick and so was ideal for netbooks. I have always been a big fan of Norton products, but at the time I was looking for suitable anti-virus software for my wife's netbook, Norton did not have an easy solution (nowadays, you can just download a copy).

To be fair to AVG, the software itself was very easy to install. However, it was clear that it wasn't anywhere near the user experience that Norton offers. The software felt about 5 years out of date in its look and feel.

As others have reported, my major concern was the fact that it dramatically slowed down performance on the netbook. Netbooks are hardly the meatiest of computers in terms of power and memory, but there was a noticeable slowness after installing AVG that made the machine difficult to use. Norton have invested heavily in speed and performance of their security tools and it is clear that AVG did not come close. I've gone back to Norton now, with no plans to switch back.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...now see, that's a good idea..., 11 Mar. 2010
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now. see that's a clever idea. So well done to Grisoft for supplying their AVG Internet security software on a memory stick. As a netbook user, there is nothing better than being able to whap in a memory stick, and for the software to start chugging away as it installs. Much better than trying do it yourself, or risk downloading directly on to your netbook.

For some reason (bearing in mind it's target audience) it comes with a 3 machine licence. But I'm assuming that's to try and get it installed on your desktop as well, thus making you theirs!

The software itself is good, as anyone who knows their products will aver, but installation seemed to take an inordinate amount of time, but once it was up and running there were no problems. It's a good suite, and covers the array of virus protection, rootkits, spam and firewall, as well as an identity protection module, but as I have yet to use my credit card on my netbook, I can't vouch for it.

AVG is a good, reliable name, and this is a good addition to the range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 7 April 2010
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like most of the reviewers I have used AVG free for many years. This is basically the whole AVG Security Suite provided on a USB memory card for easy install without the need to resort to optical media, as most netbooks don't have CD/DVD drives. It installed fine on both Vista x64 and Windows 7 64 bit and so far I have had no major problems. The install did require a couple of reboots, and I have needed to reboot my machine a couple of times in the last month either because one of the components has been upgraded, or because some of the protection modules has caused Internet Explorer to slow down noticably (other browsers were okay). Once installed you don't need to use products like Zone Alarm or AdAware anymore as it has an inbuilt firewall (which actually looks like it works) spam filter and SpyWare filter.

The 3 licenses is a nice touch, but the USB stick is pretty much redundant once you have used it to install the product. I like it as it just sits there, updates itself and scans when it needs to.

AVG Internet Security v9, 3 User, 1 Year subscription, Netbook Card on USB (PC)
AVG Internet Security v9, 3 User, 1 Year subscription, Netbook Card on USB (PC) by AVG Technologies Ltd. (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock