Format: Audio CD|Change

Here's a nifty little band with
an equally nifty little album.

Neon Indian hail from Texas (something we should
not hold against them!) and are the brainchild of
writer/musician Alan Palomo. He is assisted in his
endeavours by Leanne Macomber (keyboards), Jason
Fairies (drums) and Ronald Gierhart (guitar/vocals).

They seem to have captured the sound of summer with
their album 'Psychic Chasms'. I find shades of Hall
and Oates and Scritti Politi (remember them?!) in
the good-natured, sunny arrangements. Feelgood music.

The melodies are pretty, the harmonies loose-limbed, the
synths nicely squelchy, the beats solid and dance-friendly.
Just the thing for an August beach party.

The project is a tad ungenerous truth-be-told. Coming
in at round half-an-hour I found myself wanting more but
what there is scores points for quality over quantity.

'Deadbeat Summer' is a cute and classy and construction.
The wilfully liberal way with tunings adds a pleasant
off-kilter ambience to the highly contagious proceedings.

'Terminally Chill' (with its big nod to H&O) mixes up some
nice Isley Brothers guitar with a four-square back-beat and
fabulously floaty vocal harmonies.

The psychedelic textures of 'Mind Drips', spread out over a thwacking
great bass-line, persuaded my inner-hippie to smile in a karmic way.

The barbecue-at-the-bottom-of-a-pond sounds of 'Local Joke', with
its stomping rhythm and just-this-side-of-sober guitar motif gets
my vote for top track. Even the mayflies are dancing!

Final track 'Ephemeral Artery' is a delicious slice of
outer-limits wave-your-hands-in-the-air disco.

Whether we will ever hear from them again in the ephemeral
listening world is uncertain but for now I was more than happy
to spend a short while in Neon Indian's incandescent company.

Recommended.
on 10 November 2011
This album could have been awesome. It's got a groovy atmospheric summer feel running through it that makes me feel good. Dead beat summer and mind drips are particularely catchy.
Such a shame that it's been a little tainted by some slightly bonkers production methods. The whole thing sounds like its been compressed so heavily that theres a tinny squelchy feel to every song that reminds me a dodgy AM radio, and in fact the first tune on the album is called AM. I thought at first there was something wrong with my speakers, but then I tried it through the some pretty decent headphones and it wasn't much improved. Despite this though i've still decided to give it 3 stars just because there are some genuinely great tunes here which I can't help wanting to listen to again, and I did finally get a decent enough listening experience by turning my treble right down to nothing.
on 2 March 2010
Beneath the hazy sonics from this bedroom electro-pop project are well-structured and highly addictive songs, putting it next to Towers of Asia's debut as one of last year's nicest surprises.
on 11 December 2010
I don't understand people who are afraid to recognise something new and original. The sound captured on the CD is so late 80s 90s it cannot be underestimated. Its sheer brilliance to capture this type of zonked out disco space sound compressed to sound like a cassette I used to play to my friends when smoking hash and taking acid; thinking I was on to something here.
It is a good listen and i think groundbreaking. Up with The Beatles and Sergant Peppers.
However, I do feel it could quite easily get on your nerves after a few plays. most deferently, we those that seek utter oblivion.
on 20 October 2012
This album could make any 90's Rock fans run away in fear. 80's music had a distinct feel and this pastiche captures it very well. It's not just the retro sounds that oozes the kid inside you but the ample amounts of melodies and hooks should keep you bopping about as if you are about to watch your favorite Saturday morning cartoon.

Highly recommend it.
on 15 July 2013
the album was as good as i'd hoped, having listened to the main songs on you tube the rest of the album did not dissapoint
on 15 August 2011
Psychic Chasms has one of those covers that invites you to pick up the record, and when I saw it on sale I duly obliged. Annoyingly obscure and carrying tags such as "blogger's delight" and "what the cool kids are listening to over on the other side of the atlantic" Psychic Chasms certainly lacks charm.

To sum Psychic Chasms up without turning this review into a over-verbose rant, it's basically one of those "made in the bedroom" records that only sounds moderately impressive when you consider the "lo-fi" approach it had in it's production. Yes it is refreshing to hear music that hasn't been commercialized to the point of being a sheer, shameful marketing exercise (check Pitbull's music videos out for example), but it does not mean that substandard tosh like Psychic Chasms has a right to exist or, perhaps more annoyingly, an automatic right to be cool.

I'll give Neon Indian another go soon though. I do love the cover art (the bright digipak may warrant a purchase alone) and a few of the tracks are rather enjoyable. Deadbeat Summer, which I'm led to believe is a single is Psychic Chasms' standout. The remixed tracks really aren't worth anyone's time. The original album's shoddy production needs fixing before a track is reworked by (annoyingly) obscure DJ's.

I'm afraid though that on the grounds of my first listen, this is more of a Topman manequin masquerading with some musical toys than a worthy attempt at cracking the UK market by Neon Indian. 2*, but an extra * for the superb artwork and environmentally friendly recycled packaging.
on 12 October 2010
...just rehashing some 80's synth noises, adding them to some twee little pop songs, then compressing them to the quality of a poor compact cassette is neither big nor clever. If you want decent electronica stick to the likes of Fourtet, or Caribou. If you want to delve into electronica's past then might I point you in the direction of Cabaret Voltair, Kraftwerk, or even Can.

Complete and utter rubbish!!!

Doh!...err does anyone want to buy a really good second hand classic modern day electronica album?

Hoist with my own petard...
on 12 October 2010

Complete and utter rubbish!!!

Hoist with my own petard...