5.0 out of 5 stars The Cove
In his film debut The Cove, award-winning director/photographer Louie Psihoyos highlights the gruesome, annual slaughter of about 2,300 dolphins in a National Park at Taiji, Wakayama, in Japan.

Backed up with hard facts, interviews and undercover evidence the documentary follows the atonement of "Flipper" trainer Ric O'Barry as he continues on his dangerous...
Published on 12 Mar 2010 by Ms. S. J. Markworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Fishy goings-on
Let's get the hype over with first. The packaging of my Amazon DVD shouts (quoting the Daily Telegraph, apparently): 'A SEAT-OF-YOUR-PANTS Bond-style THRILLER'.

No, it isn't. It's a fairly run-of-the-mill but well-meaning documentary with some spurious gadgetry thrown in to spice things up. This isn't to say that the dolphin-bloodbath at the centre of the film...
Published on 15 Mar 2010 by Bill

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cove, 2 Feb 2010
K. Bennett (Bexley Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is not a film that looks backward and says "Yes, what a shame that was," but one that screams "Look at what's happening right now, and we really have to stop it!" As this masterful documentary states its case, we're introduced to a bunch of key players: Richard O'Barry, former dolphin trainer and longtime advocate for the animals; filmmaker Louie Psihoyos, who spearheads a massive effort to expose this sickening practice; a pair of world-class free-divers who gladly throw their skills into the mix; and an extra handful of daredevils, tech experts, and cameramen who are willing to risk a month in a Japanese jail ... just so they finally can get some video footage of these secret slaughters.

A film that has to been seen.

th

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 19 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is a realy inspiring documentry that shows how no matter who you are you can make change

I also think its a disgrace the way the japenese people think they are above everyone using illegal methods to scam people into buying dolphin and killing 26.000 dolphins a year

5.0 out of 5 stars Please do watch this film, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Please do watch this film.
It is uncomfortable to watch but certainly worth it.
I bought the dvd after watching the film online. Before watching this film I had no idea that thousands of dolphins are killed every year in order to have a few imprisoned in the sea worlds and aquariums around the world. One of the extra ‘Mercury Rising’ is also very informative and chilling .
It is shocking that the information provided within this dvd is not made widely available by the mass media but kept hidden instead.
By buying the dvd you also support the incredible work that they have been carrying out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting!, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have to say that I knew nothing about 'The Cove' when I sat down to watch it and thought it was going to be another brilliant underwater documentary that would be wonderful and interesting.

What on earth is going on? If somebody had told me that 'The Cove' would shock me and I would have trouble watching parts of it I would have told them that they were gravely mistaken. Especially given that I love horrible shocking films that most people I know can't or don't want to watch. But oh my goodness did it absolutely destroy me more than anything I have ever experienced from a tv screen. At one point I resorted to tilting my head down for a few seconds because I couldn't bear the pain of what I was seeing and needed to recompose myself before continuing. Maybe it's because I am such a big animal lover (I have two cats, three fish tanks and a corn snake) but one thing is for sure, if you are rather sensitive to cruelty to animals etc then I would recommend you think it through before watching this. I told my wife not to see it, in fact I wouldn't even tell her what it was about. She is very sensitive to things of this nature you see.

'The Cove' highlights a very serious problem for the dolphins of Taiji in a very serious way and I will never forget it. It's impossible to be excited about a film that made me feel so bad but if you think you can watch it, then you definately should, and don't forget to tell everyone you know about it too (unless they are too sensitive of course). After all, that's the whole point.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cove, 20 July 2011
Sebastian Leaver "Moon Light Leaver" (Burnley, Lancashire, NorthWest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
The Cove is shocking and mid altering. This film IS A REQUIREMENT FOR ANY ZOOLOGIST/MARINE BIOLOGIST/CONSERVATIONIST
It is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cove, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I bought this video after reading an article about it in a magazine. Some of the scenes are cruel and hard to watch, but they reveal happenings of which the general public is not aware. If I had seen it before visiting Sea World in the States, I might have thought twice about going. In today's world, where we are more aware of our environment and the importance of avoiding cruelty to any animals in any form, this film should be widely publicized.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is the Cove? Let me tell you..., 28 April 2011
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
An incredibly well-made introduction to an issue that few of us, at least previous to this films success knew little or nothing of. Very few documentaries are as thrilling, funny, powerful and inspiring as this one. If you haven't got a copy I suggest get one! Once you've watched the film you'll see why it was worth it. Besides, the money you pay for helps out the very campaign it features. It's not often you can do good in the world and get an Oscar-winning film all in one go!

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERY HUMAN BEING MUST SEE, 2 April 2011
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I've seen this documentary twice, but am about to buy a few copies for my close relatives and family to see. Words can not describe what a profound affect this amazingly well made and well told story has had on me. I am a 25 year old mother of three, and since watching The Cove, I am determined to do anything I can to help. Every human must see this film, as what is being done to these dolphins in Taiji, Japan, is morally wrong and brutally unacceptable. Anyone who gives this bad reviews, is missing the point. We are all responsible for what is going on in this world and we can all do small things to prevent these large horrors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing documentary - a must see for everyone!!, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This documentary is one of the best i have ever seen, it highlights so many important issues and it stayed with me long after i watched it! I try and get everyone i know to watch it because i think its important for everyone to have seen it!! It is sad however i think the message needed to be put out there and it is something that needs to be addressed. I hope more people spread the word about this fantastic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put it simply..., 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
...This documentary is one of the best I've ever seen - a must see. It'll have you jumping out of your seat and signing up to see what you can do to help.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›