5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to our history
This book whisks you through our history with what I thought was just the right balance of hard fact, the author's opinion, and a bit of fun. I read a lot of history and it's not often as enjoyable as this. I wouldn't say that I learned anything new by reading this book - it's not a radical reworking of our country's history - but I enjoyed brushing up on what I...
Published on 24 Aug 2006 by Pen Name

2.0 out of 5 stars Good read but factually poor
I really enjoyed reading this book until I came to a chapter I already knew something about. At that point I realised that there were quite a number of factual inaccuracies. I then cross-checked another chapter with someone who was an expert on that period. Again, inaccuracies.

So although it is fun to read, witty and fast-paced, I've now lost all confidence...
Published on 19 Sep 2008 by J. Philip

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I love history!, 21 Feb 2013
Dawn Scrivens - See all my reviews
This review is from: British History for Dummies (Kindle Edition)
First time I purchased an eBook. I only bought it as it was on special offer. It seemed like the perfect way to brush up on my rusty history. Being for Dummies I thought "why not" I don't think I am a dummie but it was a good way to start! I think the book is great, I'm just not sure I like eBooks. I prefer something solid I can hold in my hands and flick backwards and forwards at my leisure. This is hard to do with an electronic format!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 13 Feb 2012
AMAZING. Brilliant for people of all ages. I picked up this book as I am at university and was struggling to understand Anglo-Saxon History & this helped A LOT. It explains it clearly and in a simple fun form which helps you to remember it. Great if you want to quickly and easily learn the background of the British History subject which you are studying :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you know history already?, 22 Jun 2010
Nikita Trofimov (UK/RUSSIA) - See all my reviews
As any 'for Dummies' book it is easy and interesting to read it. The book is full of the variety of interesting facts and hints. It highlights influences of particular historical events on contemporary Britain which I found incredibly interesting. However, one quite unpleasant thing for me occurred when the book was bought. Being a foreigner I purchased it in order to introduce myself to British history. But the book is mainly for those who is already familiar with key events. The main purpose of it is to explain and interpret these events rather than describe it. Overall, I consider the 'British History for Dummies' to be a curious book but in order to enjoy it completely the reader should be aware of key facts of Britain and its history.

4.0 out of 5 stars British History for Dummies, 10 Jun 2010
A very informative book, easy reading, with lots of interesting information. This is a good book for anyone wanting quick info,or just a good read. Very helpful if you want to brush up on your history in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars British History for Dummies, 30 Jan 2009
Sa Hoad (Bedfordshire. England.) - See all my reviews
Fantastic book. Full of easy to digest information. A fun to read outline of our history.

1.0 out of 5 stars The clue is in the title, 7 Mar 2013
C "Curmudgeonly Clive" (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British History for Dummies (Kindle Edition)
If you are a dummy, this book is for you, otherwise find a better one.

Disjointed, trivial, and replete with excruciatingly banal humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars British History for DUMMIES., 30 Nov 2010
Peter Rayner (England) - See all my reviews
Excellent value for an interesting and excellent book. A lovely, trouble-free purchase, and the seller's service was quick and faultless.

5.0 out of 5 stars British history for dummies, 7 Dec 2009
A. Prescott (London) - See all my reviews
Quick response, arrived in very good condition. Havent read it all yet...its quite long! But seems like a great book, easy to follow and just what I was looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars biased and miopic, 9 Oct 2010
S A BEWICK (STROUD, GLOS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read most of this book and to be frank it is more of an opinion on British History, than a reference on it. The factual elements purely serve to let the author express their views. Junk read I'm afraid.

1.0 out of 5 stars British History for Dummies, 9 Oct 2006
Mr. DAVID EVANS (WALES) - See all my reviews
Yet another 'British History' book written from the English perspective. According to the Author (who is apparently Oxford educated - Welsh is still today spoken in parts of North Wales...) well yes it is..along with every other part of the Country. Yet again, our Country, which has contributed so much to the wealth of Britain will be relegated to a mere province of England in the minds of anyone who reads this!

Must try harder!