5.0 out of 5 stars Much greater freedom with my mate SPOT!
Published 11 months ago by Carol Merrett

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning about SPOT messenger
I bought the SPOT messenger June 2010 using the tracker and OK function to keep family happy while on long solo trips.
Published on 20 Feb 2012 by Mark slater

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning about SPOT messenger, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Spot Personal Tracker Satellite GPS Messenger (Electronics)
While on a 6 week trip to Norway (into week 4) it stopped sending GPS and phone updates: This caused panic back home and had the Norweigen Mountain rescue out searching by helicopter, with luckSpot2 Personal Tracker Satellite GPS Messenger - Orange I was found quite soon (based on last effective SPOT update)
SPOT replaced faulty Messenger after many weeks (September 2010)
I thought this was a one off fault.....BUT it has happened again (Feb 2012) just 7 months after the warranty date, SPOT's reply to the second fault > buy a new one!
I think I have gone a gadget too far here, it has ruined two trips now (having to race back to civilization to reassure family) and with a new device 140 plus 100ish service I don't think so!

1.0 out of 5 stars Spot2, 27 Mar 2012
The Spot2 tracker must be registered with Spot and a years subscription taken out before you can use it. Having paid for the years subscription I found the unit was faulty. If I return it to Amazon I cannot recover the cost of the years subscription so I had to contact Spot directly. They said they would send me a replacement with the same ESN (serial number) so it would work with my subscription. BUT they have none in stock and cannot tell me when they will get any. Their customer service team are frankly very blunt and unhelpful. Been waiting 2 weeks now with no sign of a replacement or any indication of how long I will have to wait.
My advice to you - BUY ANOTHER MAKE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 16 May 2013
I do a lot of voluntary conservation work during dark hours. The possibility of accidental injury or antisocial behaviour is always a worry and I hoped that this would solve that proble. In all respects it appears to perform ok until you get into woods. Message and tracking signals then appear to become very questionable. To feel safe with it I would need to use it out in the open where there is good line of site between you and the Geosat. Service is very expensive, website is daunting and support staff not too helpful. I gave mine up for a PLB which the MCA now let us use in the UK. No good for tracking but pretty good for distress as it can use Leosar and Meosar technologies and not have to rely on the Geosats as this device did when I had it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much greater freedom with my mate SPOT!, 16 Aug 2013
I am a middle aged woman who loves to go on long distance walks on my own. As my parents are now elderly this worries them. Then I saw this product in Trail Magazine - it seemed too expensive especially as you have to subscribe to the rescue service BUT it was well worth it for the wonderful psychological sense of freedom - all I did was send a message each evening and the rest of the time I could forget the outside world...friends could follow me on Facebook and my Dad loved the email messages with the maplinks. On the safety side knowing that I didn't have to worry about my mobile phone being charged (an increasing problem as phones run out of power quicker) or having signal was hugely reassuring to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 2 May 2012
Fin (Stamford) - See all my reviews
I bought this on the recommendation of a member of a mountain rescue team on a Scottish winter kills course. I do a lot of multi-day trips in remote areas of Scotland, all year round and often on my own. The Spot gives my family and I peace of mind. So far it has worked well and was simple to set up. My OK messages alert my wife and also plot my progress on the Social Hiking web site. I actually think it is a critical bit of kit if you are going in to remote areas but should not replace training and common sense. Altogether a good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold on style over substance, 8 Feb 2011
Sean R. Whyte (UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this SPOT messenger and it's been a nightmare trying to
get help from their web site.....about the most customer unfriendly one I have ever known.

Trying to add contact details to receive OK mesages is all but impossible.
etc. etc. All they want to do is to try and tell you how good they are and sell you add-ons you don't need.

You'd be better off buying a carrier pidgeon or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot 2 tracker, 8 Sep 2012
Mr. S. Derry - See all my reviews
I purchased this item because of falling off my mountain bike breaking my collar bone and although I could phone for help they couldn't find me so had to walk a mile with the bike to a car park. The Spot 2 is well made and a bargain for the money, it works really well but a display would have been better I found a slight problem with the on/off button as holding it down for 3 seconds your finger covers the button so you cannot see it illuminate.

Beware the price of the unit does not cover any services these a purchased via Spot website without them the unit is useless, these services only last one year so there is an on going cost but what price do you put on being rescued.

I have only used it twice, once for testing then for an actual ride it works well and I sent an OK message to a mobile in about 2 minutes. I bought the tracking service (extra) which sends a beacon every 10 minutes which then can be viewed on Google Earth it would be better if you could change this time period as I found the tracked positions only show a direct line between each point and not the actual route. But as this is a track / rescue device and not a GPS I will forgive the track points direct line.

As I have only had the Spot 2 for only a week I've not been able to see how well it works in woodland nor can I comment on battery life but so far I am really impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot 2 Messenger, 16 Mar 2011
An excellent device, not to be confused or replaced by a sat ph or PLB but good enough for most people, relatively easy to set up with contacts but does take a little time to work out how to add extra ones, great keeping track/saving your progress via the spotadventures website or facebook to let others know your safe, allows you to "check-in", also very handy if your in trouble in a life/non-life threating situation, small and compact.

Batteries last well enough (rechargables aren't recommended), comes with a case and elastic armband or get a waterproof peli 1010 case and attach it to something.

Very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Mind, 17 April 2012
Fantastic. Simple to use and worth the money.

This is a gadget I hope I will never need.
I am able to cycle off on my own and not get the usual phone call asking where I am, and how long will you be.
I recently did a MTB race, and was plesently suprised to recieve lots of texts from friends who had been following my progress through the day.
I am able to limit the people that can watch my progress, and I am able to switch off the tracking at any time, so big brother can only watch if I alow it
Setting up the spot2 is simple, once you get your head around the fact the web site is very American.
The Spot weighs less than I expected and is as tough as old boots. It dose have a problem getting a signal in wooded areas, if you press a message button, the tracking will stop until the message is sent, so if you do this in a wooded area the tracking stops and may not start for a few cycles(10 minutes per cycle).
It is a lot more reliable than tracking apps for your phone as it does not need a phone signal.
I have only used it for recration so far, but during the summer I work on my own, miles from anywhere in areas without phone reception, and so for my piece of mind, I will be carrying for work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 1 Feb 2011
I do a lot of trekking and climbing often in remote regions with no mobile signals. Now all my friends and family can see all is well from my check in linked to Facebook.