1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappinting durability, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Mad Catz AirDrives FIT for iPhone - Headset ( over-the-ear ) (Electronics)
I like to wear earphones in bed. The best ever were the spiral Panasonic earphones which were flat and not driven into one's ear when lying on that side. These were cheap and the wires fragile only lasting about 6 months . The design was perfect for my purposes otherwise.
It was with much initial enthusiasm which I purchased these Air-drives which fulfilled my criteria for bed-phones quit well. Sadly after about 6 weeks they started to disintegrate. They stuck together again quite well with super-glue and then araldite later but now a few months later the wires over the ears are suffering from fatigue fracture . This failure is not due to sleeping in them but due to the method of adjusting the earphone by tightening the wire loop. For the price paid I expect a more robust piece of wire to be used. The more expensive loudspeaker part is fine and would be perfect if it did not come apart so early in its life. The earphones durability is seriously compromised by this cheap piece of wire. This can easily be foreseen as the adjustability of the device is dependant on repeated bending of this part of the wire. I have some ear buds a quarter of the price which have lasted for years with no hint of fracture. By passing the bud bit through a loop in its robust wire I had already created a similar design to the air drives including a tight knot which has not fatigued. But ears need ventilating especially in the case of some people or at least from time to time. This is where an upgraded wire would greatly enhance the life of the Air-drives. I am glad I did not invest in the more expensive model.

ARRAY(0xb62261b0)