5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Skynyrd Nation!
Published on 6 Nov 2009 by MikeH

1.0 out of 5 stars Diappointing to say the least
Published 15 months ago by justbhoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Skynyrd Nation!, 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
This album hasn't been off my player since it arrived. I wasn't expecting such a great album. Commercially acceptable and yet everything that makes LS great is on here. You want a 'lil bit 'o country - you got it. You want it swampy - you got it. You like your rock loud 'n hard - you got it. Ballads or belters, this album has it all. I am seriously impressed that after all these years these guys have still got the chops, both writing and playing to make some seriously great music.

The smart packaging and extra tracks are just that, a bonus. God and Guns. Buy it and be happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Oct 2009
Ruth Francis (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
As only a casual fan of the band, I bought this album on the back of hearing the superb "Unbroken" and I can honestly say, it's the first album I've ever heard where I LOVE every track, and right from the first listen. Superb melody, stunning vocals that rich melodic wall of guitar you'd hope for. Hard to pick out a favorite, but today it's "Floyd"; dripping with... erm.... swamp!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A mighty fine album, 18 Nov 2009
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've got the statutory greatest hits album and that's it really so please take it from me that I am therefore not an "ignore the warts" fanboy and neither am I a gainsayer of southern rock. i am reviewing this album as someone who has now listened to it for a few plays now, and can give what I hope is a well reasoned review. And I have to be positive.

This is a fine rock album; Great tunes, well played, rocking when required with some quieter moments interspersed at just the right moments. it's really, really good. I must admit that I thought it could be a going through the motions sort of product but the band seems to gel superbly, the production is excellently crisp and it just an all round pleasure to listen to. Others will go into more detail for you as this is a visceral impression but the word that springs to mind most readily is "enjoyment". I enjoy this album. It's easy to listen to, doesn't demand too much from you and the time spent listening to it passes in an instant.

I can't praise this album enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 16 Mar 2010
Tim Francis (Eriskay, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns is just an all round great album, from start to finish. When I got this album a few weeks ago I didn't know what to expect but it blew me away. It's an album that you can listen to from start to finish because every song is so different.But the best is by far Floyd! Also on Disc 2 there are some great live tracks. A must buy for any Skynyrd fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Rockers - Still Unbroken!, 6 Feb 2010
M. F. DONNELLY (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd return with one of the albums of the year and possibly the best produced, courtesy of Bob Martlette.

The album kicks off with the stonking Still Unbroken surely a contender for Song of the Year. Johnny Van Zant's vocals are simply awesome on this track and throughout the whole album. This was the pre-release track from the album and I was concerned that the rest of the album would not be as good.

Simple Life is a more laid back track than the opener and is one of several tracks with a real country feel to it.

Little Thing Called You swings the album back in a heavier vain similar to the opening track with a more southern feel to it.

Southern Ways is typical Southern Rock with that country feel to it similar To Bruce Hornsby & The Range.

Skynyrd Nation is great stadium rock feelgood track.

Unwrite That Song is very country & western and would not be out of place on an American Country Radio Station. Still a great track, yeah hah!

Floyd which features Rob Zombie on backing vocals is pure gator-rock and a million miles away from the previous track. Real cool track - it's a swamp thang!

One thing you have to ignore, embrace or simply smile to is the pro-American (Republican) feel running throughout the whole album. This is none more prevalent than in That Ain't My America with its Poison feel to it.

Comin' Back For More has a harder edge to it and features a stonking chorus.

The title track God & Guns is pure confederate bliss and makes the listener want to pick up a Bible and a Smith & Wesson in equal measures. The song begins acoustically and slowly builds to a frenetic climax with guitars blazing in all directions!

The Storm Will Pass is more a straight forward track but still maintaining that Southern feel courtesy of some great backing vocals.

Final track Gifted Hands is a great power ballad that pays homage to past members and features some superb guitar soloing.

The bonus disc features three live classic tracks: Red, White & Blue, Call Me The Breeze and Sweet Home Alabma and three new tracks: Bang Bang, Raining In My Heartland & Hobo Kinda Man. The latter are all what I would describe as album-fillers and not up to the high standard of the main album. Whoever made the decision to leave these tracks off was inspired as well as the running order of the twelve tracks - near perfection.

With the excepetion of Kiss this is one album I would not have expected to finish in my Top 10 of 2009. Every style of Southern Rock is covered on this album yet it seamlessly flows from track to track. Lynyrd Skynyrd might only have one original member, Gary Rossington, but with God & Guns they have kept the spirit of the original group and brought then very much into the 21st Century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great southern Rock album, 17 Dec 2009
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
This Cd is stuck in my car I love it. I like the lyrics the guitars and the whole feel of the album.
A must have for southern rock lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonus disc, 29 Nov 2009
R. Stradling "Pintofhsb" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
Get the special edition of this album with the bonus disc. It is superb with great live tracks as well as the stonking Bang Bang - probably the best track on the whole set.

1.0 out of 5 stars Diappointing to say the least, 14 May 2013
This review is from: God & Guns (Audio CD)
Hearing Skynyrd play a Republican anthem like God & Guns is a disgrace. I kept thinking there would be a twist in the lyrics and they really weren't advocating a gun-toting America but no that's it! What a volte face for the band. I have no idea who their target audience is but I can't imagine Skynyrd fans appreciating this s***. Poor Ronnie Van Zant will be turning in his grave to go from
"Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me"

to this crap

5.0 out of 5 stars Unwrite That Song - Never, 8 May 2011
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant album, which I never tire of hearing and think it`s much too underated. The original Skynyrd were great and the new Skynyrd`s great. Long may they keep on writing songs and music like this

5.0 out of 5 stars Found My Whiskey !!! Found My Music!!!!, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
I think this is one album thats here to stay. The very best of Rock and Roll, Just as an Album on its own and not a collection of Best hits...Goes well with Kentucky Bourbon......You cant Go wrong with Swamp Music ...Lynyrd Skynyrd ..... Wish I could see them play these songs Live....Found My Whiskey.....Found my Music.....Peace!!!

God & Guns