I have four of these units. I purchased them because we have so many power cuts here that the ordinary mechanical timers are often not set to the correct times.
Published 5 months ago by Mr. G. WILLIAMS

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful product but unreliable
In general this time has been a big improvement to my standard of living. I needed it for my fish tank as I am out a lot so needed to be sure the fish and plants were getting enough/not too much light. The timer was delivered promptly and was fairly easy to set up.

Published 23 months ago by H Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful product but unreliable, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Electronic digital mains Timer Socket Plug-in with LCD Display 12/24 Hour 7 Days (DIY & Tools)

However, I can only give the product 3/5 as it's very unreliable. I find that it works well for about a week and then suffers some sort of error that causes the timer to stop working and the screen to just show a series of random characters. This is easily fixed by using the reset button but this means that a) you have to spot the error has happened and b) as the set up is quite fiddly it's time consuming to have to do it every week or so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but read the instructions carefully and don't lose them!, 6 Nov 2013
The first one I received did not seem to work at all (the display seemed to be frozen) but apparently you should first press the small reset button (above the week button) if this happens when the unit is first charged up (with a pencil or pen as it is recessed) as the instructions say . After this, all the functions work properly.

Having done this, set the current time and day by pressing the clock button followed by the hours and minutes buttons and set the day of the week by pressing the week button until the correct day is selected.(note you can easily change the settings for GMT or British Summer time ,see instructions).

The unit has ten program settings (i.e. times that you can switch a connected device on and off). It can be set to come on daily, or in groups of days or on a specific day of the week. To setup the program times press the timer button followed by the week button to select the day or days, followed by hours and minute buttons to set the "on" and "off" times . Make sure that when you set the "on" time for a specific day or period, that you set the "off" time for the same day or period. I did not do this the first time I used the timer and as a result the unit did not switch off on the same day. Seems obvious I know, but it is an easy and frustrating mistake to make.

The other thing to note is that there is a random button to make it operate at random times. I did not notice this at first and had accidently pressed it and as a result the units were not turning off when I had planned but much earlier. A small letter R is shown in the display if you press the R button. De-select it if you did not mean to use it.
Make sure you leave it set to auto after you have finished setting up the program times. It can be operated manually as well as by the programs.

The unit will operate modern low energy lights as well as ordinary lights (it has a relay inside which clicks the supply on and off) but it is NOT suitable for high energy loads such as emersion heaters or kettles or washing machines or any device that has a heating element inside it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set and forget, 11 May 2011
This is an excellent item to have around the home. Item arrived with instructions though I found it self-explanatory to setup. This is really a 'set and forget' device in that, once setup, you can forget about it. It will do it's job throughout the year. The backup battery (to memorise your settings) is rechargable off the mains.

I have 6 of these timers around the home doing their job. The only time they need attention around British Summer Time start and end. Even then, there is a combination of 2 buttons to switch to BST mode (+1 hour or normal time) and it will continue running.

Simple to use and reliable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem associated with flourescents, 16 May 2012
I have 4 of these and one developed a fault where although it could be programmed it would not switch on or off.

I contacted the supplier .....ebinary LTD...whom agreed to replace or refund it, but insisted I pay return postage.

I pointed out that under the `distance selling` regs the seller was responsible for return postage if the item was faulty and under 6 months old. The seller then suggested that I cross out my address and write return to sender to avoid paying postage costs !!! I emailed back that this was illegal and fraud !!! Again the seller refused to pay return postage.
I contacted AMAZON in the hope they would mediate on my behalf as the seller sells on their website. AMAZON REFUSED to help me.
If a seller contravenes the `distance selling regs, I would have thought they would have breached some term ofr condition to sell on AMAZON.......apparently not.
FINALLY ebinary LTD have refunded the cost of the timer, without returning the faulty one.

Beware, not all third party sellers abide by the distance selling regulations !!!!

I contacted the manufacturer whom said there had been some issues with these timers when switching flourescents, but again couldn`t help me.

1.0 out of 5 stars No manual override (that I can find), 18 Oct 2013
The unit can be set to:

On
Auto
Off

Unlike on my other timeswitch (which can be set On - Off - Auto + On - Auto + Off), there appears to be no facility to manually override the current setting (i.e. to turn on earlier). This makes it very inconvenient to use.

I think I'll be getting rid of it and sourcing another one like my other unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for aquarium lights timing, 21 Sep 2011
Small Fry (Inbred, Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this for my Aquarium to turn the light on and off, and I'm really impressed, there are plenty of ways of controlling the on / off times. such as:

On/off at the same time each day, different times for each individual day of the week, weekend, mon-fri, alternate days. so its really adaptable in its use. Each of these timed programs takes one of the 12 slots. Theres also a random timer that comes on and off at random intervals, so this could be used when you are on holiday to turn a lamp on at irregular intervals as an additional security measure. Making this a really useful gadget to keep your timed switching on and off of things in check.

The build is sturdy, and has multiple used beyond the aquarium, like bedside lights, electric blankets, household security and on, and on, and on.

It was noted by some that the instructions are in foreign languages, mine came with a set of full english only instructions.

For what it does I can't find any faults with this. 5*'s

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Jan 2014
Have been using this for the last 2 months now and it is working perfectly. Bought this with a 2kW convector heater for the kids room and did not want to leave it on for the whole night so bought this nifty little timer. Programmed it to run for half an hour 3/4 times during the night to keep the room and so far it has been working perfectly. You can setup 10 programs on it which is just great. No complaints at all.Nice build quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to program, works well, 3 Jan 2014
This timer is extremely simple to program. You can setup days and programs individually or you can do a mon-fri or a full 7 day program. I use it to turn a hallway lamp on and off automatically every day and it's been going for weeks without any issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Manual over-ride, 15 Dec 2013
The only thing that lets this product down is the way the manual over-ride works. It would be better if there was a choice to put it on auto on or auto off mode.

1.0 out of 5 stars No instructions, 10 Dec 2013
No instructions and despite trying to set it at least half a dozen times have given up. Should have read the poor reviews before purchase. Don't make the same mistake as me.

ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)