5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!
Published on 10 July 2011 by 2Angels

3.0 out of 5 stars Moments of excellence, but too much filler
If you are a new era Mariah fan, and into the current wave of RnB and hip-hop artists that populate the charts, then I'm sure you'll find lots to like with this album. Probably just as much as her previous E=MC2, if not quite as much as her excellent and well rounded 2005 "comeback" album Emancipation Of Mimi, which remains (in my view) her best album of the decade...
Published on 14 Oct. 2011 by N. Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Moments of excellence, but too much filler, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
If (like me) you are more of an "old skool" Mariah fan of the "Emotions" and "Music box" era, then you might find this album a little bland and derivative at times.
That's not to say there is nothing good here.
Tracks such as H.A.T.E.U and Betcha Gon Know are typical contemporary smooth RnB, with Mimi's distinctive and exuberant vocal delivery and tear jerking lyrics to set them apart. Very enjoyable.
While "Languishing" has a more traditional sound that recalls the early days tracks such as "Vanishing", but with a more relaxed and introspective vocal style.
"Angel (The interlude)" showcases her extraordinary range to its very best. A light and airy melody while Mariah whistles and and chirps harmoniously to stratospheric heights throughout in that unique way only she can. It could charm birds down from the trees! Shame it's only a one and a half minute interlude.
The lead single "I wanna Know What Love is" is a very typical Mariah style cover. Nothing wrong with it although it's not really breaking new ground for her.
"Obsessed" is a marmite song. You'll either love it or hate it.
Personally I lean more towards hating it. I think Mariah is (or should be) well beyond needing to record such a petty comeback song. And the cheap instrumentation and heavily autotuned vocals do her no favors. Some say the melody is "catchy" but then so is the flu virus.
It's a similar story for most of the other tracks.
No innovation or flair in the instrumentation, bland melodies with superficial and at times immature sounding lyrics. Only her exceptional vocal range rescues them from being instantly forgettable.
It's disappointing because we know she can do, has done, and hopefully will do, much better.
This album came out just over a year after E=MC2, and one suspects a lot of the material on here is stuff that didn't make the grade for that recording, hence the "filler" sound to the central portion of the album.
As I said, there are a few moments of greatness in there, but they are too few and far between to make this a strong album compared to "Emancipation" or any of her 90's albums.
Roomer has it her next output will be taking a heavy retrospective influence from her first 3 albums.
I think that's probably a great idea because this style of shallow hip-hop kid pop rnb stuff really doesn't do her justice.
Here's hoping she can recapture some of that magic she had back in the 90's!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 10 July 2011
2Angels (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
I have to be honest but I sort lost track of Mariah since from her No 1's Album. I remember buying her debut album on cassette when I was about 14/15, after having a school girl broken heart (lol!!!)many moons ago, and thereafter bought her other albums up to No.1's but from then on for whatever reason she went off of my radar. I am baffled as to why. However, after my usual trawl on Amazon recenlty, something made me search Mariah Carey music and listen to some of the samples on the download section and now I am making it my mission to buy all her cd's I don't have thus buying this one.

I am quite baffled by some of the reviews on here for this cd. I genuinely love this cd and feel that it has quite a relaxing, chilling ambience. I am sure Mariah did not actually release this as a 'commercial' cd as another reviewer pointed out below. She seems to sing from the heart and give it her all. There are not really any upbeat tracks on this cd but they all get under your skin. Her voice really, as far as i am concerned, is on form and what a truly amazing instrument it is!

It won't be everyones cuppa but I am glad its mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good album, and is another form of R&B Rarely seen =3, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
This is a good album, and I love it a special way that's unique.
Some people don't like and some do, others are a bit on the fence.
This album is like a black book or a diary. It's chapters of her life in an album, you have to listen to the lyrics to understand. It's O so very personal.
I must admit at first I didn't like it. But then some time passed, and I did. It's something you have to mature for, because it's more than a grown up record. And that's a very rare thing for an album. It's not something you see Mariah do often.

If you've brought it and you don't like it, come back to it in a couple of years. It will make sense.
Also, this album and the songs have something about them. I'm not sure what it is... but there's just something about them. It's a good thing, but I'm not sure what it is though =/

I understand that this album wasn't promoted that well, but there was some things in her personal life that affected the promotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC ALBUM!!!!, 15 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
this is a real oldschool R&B album, totally amazing and not at all over the top so even non mariah fans will love it :)
i cant even tell you the best songs because theyre all amazing! It's a shame that this slbum isn't as commercially successful as it should be which is mainly due to the same thing that happened to E=MC2 which is the stupid label picking the wrong single combined with lame video's when you think of the amazing vids and slick vids that emancipation got it realy annoys me because this is such a great album and deserves it's chance to shine.
Hopefully when the remix album "Amgels Advocate" is released it'll bring some much needed attention to this lost jewel :P Well done Mariah x

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 16 Feb. 2010
Ms. A. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
It is amazing how the older Mariah gets the more better and polished she sounds.
This album will definitely appeal to fans who love the hip hop/R&B Mariah instead of the typical catchy pop songs Mariah. For me personally, this album is up there with butterfly, rainbow,emancipations of mimi and E=MC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
This is a great album, not neccessarily her best but really well produced and Mariahs vocals sound as polished as ever. Sadly this album went overlooked, in part due to the poor lead single, Obsessed, which is a terribly weak choice and feels totally out of place with the rest of the album. Pair that with the terrible non-existant promotional campaign and poorly timed hap hazard single releases and you have a recipe for disaster. Betcha Gon Know, Ribbon & Standing O would all have made great single choices. H.A.T.E.U, though a great song, was never single material. The closing album track is Mariahs take on I Want To Know What Love Is and it could have been a bigger hit had she promoted more, I normally hate covers, but this is a real exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars mariah at her best! - an intimate and personal album, 12 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
Firstly, vocally Mariah is definitely on form this time out... I don't care what some people say... Mariah is singing the songs this time out, NOT whispering them like she did around Glitter/ Charmbracelet... sure in some songs, she starts out soft but she builds to a strong finish every time and is not holding back at all.. you don't sense a weakness in her voice that you did around Glitter/ Charmbracelet or that she is ever holding back... she still has it, she just knows not to oversing from beginning to end every time because then her vocal strength loses impact/ effect. Vocally, Mariah delivers as good as she did on 2005's mimi.

Musically, this album definitely is very cohesive and you can sense a tight, fully rounded collection of songs... It is certainly reminiscent of 1997's "Butterfly" in this regard.... I think it was a good idea that she stuck with The Dream and Tricky only for this album.... The songs definitely flow and nothing sticks out like a sore thumb.. sometimes, Mariah's leanings towards hip hop tracks really jars an albums flow for me anyway... this album is very much a soothing, smooth rnb album about losing loving and finding it again.

It really doesn't venture into hip-hop much which I am thrilled about... since rainbow in 1999, every Mariah album has featured lots of collaborations with rappers... and often, these rappers over ran her tracks... this was something I always thought was a flaw with her albums...I'm not a rap fan but don't mind if a rapper raps a little in the middle of a song as a guest, but they do get tedious talking about their "cash, cars blah blah" and really I have found them to detract from Mariah's songs generally. So, gladly there are no collaborations this time out... Mariah is really given her fans what they really want, pure uninterrupted Mariah.. This was a brave move for Mariah, I know she had Gucci mane on the remix to obsessed but it's great for once to listen to a Mariah album without any other artist/ rapper dominating her song with adlibs all over it from start to finish.

My favourite tracks so far:

I want to know what love is: I have been dying to get my mits on this song.... It is a great choice for second single.. its so soothing at the start yet so powerful by the time it ends with the gospel choir.
My one complaint is that it seems a little short... this version is perfect for radio but I had hoped that the album version would be a little more epic, the end seems rushed and it seems to fade out very early after the choir joins to back Mariah.
Still, Mariah knows that to get radio airplay, it needs to be short and snappy... this is one of Mariah's best covers I believe. Her best since Without You for me.

Betcha goin' know: a solid start to the album, you get the sense straight away that this album is going to be intimate as Mariah sings about getting her own back on a cheating lover. Mariah doesn't hold back here, the tune is carried by a strong piano riff and heavy beats.

Obsessed: I loved this track all summer, it's so catchy, her best up-tempo since mimi's Get Your Number. Although the concept of the idea I didn't approve of originally, I wish Mariah wouldn't even engage in anything eminem has to say or do, she is far too classy to even be responding to his garbage.. but the song is just so infectious and catchy... I don't understand how this didn't enjoy more success in Europe..

HATEU:
This is another really catchy track, very strong beat propels this song on. I could see this as a strong single choice.

Candy Bling:/ The Impossible
Candy Bling is a really smooth song, very reminiscent of "the Fourth of July" from Butterfly, Mariah sings about how things were back in the day.. it feels very nostalgic... it's just such a dreamy song... very smooth. The Impossible is similar in that nostalgia feel, very like that rnb vibe from butterfly.

Ribbon:
I wasn't too sure at first about the distorted voice at the start but once this gets going, it's another fine up-tempo track. I love the strength of the beats The Dream and Tricky have given Mariah... these songs all sound so strong and catchy.

It's a wrap:
I love the start to this... Mariah's vocal acrobatics are classic Mariah...
A very old school rnb track. Mariah again can't be accused of whispering. This song sees her singing and not holding back.

Up Out My Face:
Another piano led track, a catchy uptempo/ midtempo track, again you can feel old style rnb not modern hip hop.
The reprise is a really catchy recall of the songs chorus, I love the drums and trumpet used... its like a marching band..

Mariah does deserve a success with this album, she hasn't just rehashed Mimi again like many felt she did with E=MC2. Those two albums were great fun but they were very mixed in terms of song type and this album is much more unified in sound and doesn't try too hard to pander to what is hip or fresh at the minute like those two albums before did I feel. This time, Mariah's true fans really are treated to what they wanted... Mariah performing by herself, Mariah using her voice to it's full potential/ strength and not holding back (not always belting the songs out but saving it for appropriate moments in songs), and lots of Mariah ballads and dreamy rnb that will evoke nostalgia for Butterfly fans that feel Mariah lost herself a little after butterfly in a sea of hip hop. Im sure she will collaborate again, but this really feels like an album that is for the fans...a moment to enjoy Mariah by herself. I don't know if it will be as commercially successful as mimi or e=mc2 as it doesn't genre hop as much as those albums... so it will probably appeal to a narrower audience in ways, to true Mariah fans though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
Not as good as some of her predessors but good enough. The number of interludes/preludes gets a bit annoying but besides that the songs are, at least, bareable. Makes a change from all the electronic crap they have in the charts at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BACK ON TOP, 13 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
WOW What an album! I was doubtful - which for a Mariah fan is not a good start - but i can now say that after sitting down and listening to the whole album with no interuptions I LOVE IT
My favourites are;
Obsessed - great one for boosting confidence
H.A.T.E.U - not as bitchy as it sounds and very true
I Want To Know What Love Is - classic but with a Mariah twist
More Than Just Friends - cute
These are the ones that stand out for me but the whole album is a new dimension with a lot of piano through it

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (Audio CD)
different but really liked this cd,she has a great voice would reconmend to my fahmily and all my friends.thank you.

Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel
Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2009)