5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product
Published on 23 Dec 2011 by Mr. D. J. Oxford

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not a fan of outdoor LED lights
I like LED lights but I do feel that they are overrated for use outdoors as whilst the light is bright at the source and they use very little power, the coverage and light on the ground is nowhere near as good as a proper bulb.

Published 8 months ago by Victor Meldrew Mk2

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product, 23 Dec 2011
Mr. D. J. Oxford - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
We already use the small square battery-driven PIR LED lights by the same manufacturer along our paths and steps, and they have proved very reliable and weatherproof over the past two or three years, running on rechargeables. But we wanted a stronger light to illuminate our gateway so that we can put out the rubbish, open and close the gate, and welcome visitors after dark.

This does the job admirably. We live in a rural setting, so there are no streetlights, so at night it is pitch black unless the moon is full. This MB360 produces a bright, even, disk of light. When I say 'bright', I mean it's painful to look directly at the LED, and it's brighter than I was expecting. We have mounted it about twenty feet up above the gate on the underside of a branch of a large oak tree. From there, it produces an even pool of light about twenty feet in diameter that illuminates the whole gate area.

The unit can easily be made to point in almost any direction by using two adjustments, secured by locking screws. These screws can be undone and tightened simply by using your finger and thumb - no tools required. The adjustment that protrudes from the mounting plate (clearly seen at the lowest point of the picture on this webpage) allows the whole assembly to swivel through 360 degrees. The other adjustment, situated half way along the 'stalk' that joins the light to the baseplate, allows the light to swivel through 180 degrees.

If the baseplate screw is undone far enough, the light and the 'stalk' can be removed from the baseplate, and this is necessary if you intend to use at least one of the methods of fixing the baseplate to a wall, or shed, or tree. Screws are provided, long, and short. The long screw is long enough to fit down the hole in the centre of the baseplate and attach it to a wall or tree. I was happy to use this to attach it to an oak branch - about an inch protrudes from the baseplate and a very secure fixing was achieved. However, I agree with one of the other reviewers that the length of this screw is probably inadequate if you are fixing the light to masonry. The unit is quite heavy once batteries are installed, and I would not feel confident that such a short screw would remain in place if this were being attached to a wall with a rawlplug. But perhaps that is an indication of my poor DIY skills rather than a criticism of the product.

I should mention that two hands are required to fix the baseplate, and I used a harness and lanyard (a la tree surgeon) to enable me to fix this safely at height. The disadvantage of mounting the light this high up are that the batteries will need changing at some point - it is claimed that they will last a year - and I will have to get my ropes out all over again. The advantages of mounting it so high up are that there is a more even distribution of light, that people will not be 'blinded' by it unless they look up, and that it cannot be tampered with except by monkeys, which are rare in this area.

The other mounting method requires the two shorter screws to be applied to a surface (wall, shed, etc) the right distance apart so that the base plate can slot onto them. Although I did not use this method, I agree with other reviewers that a) the light could be removed easily by just unslotting it, and b) it would be difficult to achieve this fixing method anywhere except on a flat surface.

The batteries are easy to instal. To fit them, unscrew the 'face' of the light, release a hinged panel that holds the batteries in position, and slot them in. They are quite large, and make the unit quite 'top-heavy', so concerns about the security of the fixings are warranted.

So far, the light has worked faultlessly, coming on after dusk when anyone approaches within a range of about 30 feet. It's neat, appears to be of good quality, and, being black, it's unobtrusive until it lights up. We're very pleased with its performance and I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly bright, super sensitive - very impressed, 11 Nov 2010
I initially bought one of these lights to replace a halogen main spotlight but a bit further away from the house (a garden shed) as i didn't want to run allot of power cable and I expected it to be like a torch, not very bright and not very good but boy, was i proved wrong. Its got a huge field of view for sensing movement and its so bright, easily enough to light up my dining room and living room at night. So far I have ordered another two so my shed (and the path to the shed) is completely lit up and i can get most the way round my house at night with out turning lights on. I even got its little brother (the square white one) as a bathroom night light so i dont get blinded for the usual 3am trip to the loo. The best bit is it knows when its daytime or the lights are already on so it wont com on then and waste power. Two months so far with this product and no drop in brightness. Im very happy with this product and couldn't recommend it enough.

oh, also, i had a big fireworks party last week and used them for lighting up my 40 guests outside and for the people lighting the fireworks to see what they were doing :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 21 April 2012
Had this for about a month and no problems. Well built, solid construction and easy to install. It's sensitivity to movement is good and has proved very effective at illuminating the front entrance area of my house when it detects someone approaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended product, 25 Mar 2012
Because of the lack of mains power to the steps of my house coupled with the need to illuminate them for safety's sake, I was looking for a low-cost, effective solution. The reviews of this product had appeared mostly positive, so I took a chance and bought it. This is my honest opinion of it.
Firstly, there's a need to understand that this is a battery-powered product, and so it's unrealistic to expect as powerful a beam as, say, a mains halogen spotlight produces, particularly given the price. But, having said that, I have nothing bad to say about this light. I got it out of the box, fitted two Duracells, fixed it very easily to the wall, and then waited for dark to fall- and hey presto!...without any adjustment whatsoever, our steps were now safely lit when needed! It throws what can best be described as a bluish, welcoming light, and is certainly effective in illuminating the steps that I need it to. In essence, I think that if you need economical but useful lighting somewhere where mains power isn't available, this will tick your box, and I recommend it based upon my experience of it. I would definitely buy another.

Mr Beams MB360 LED Battery Powered Motion Sensor Spotlight

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light, really easy to fit, 10 May 2012
M. SAYERS (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Really good purchase, I screwed it straight into the wood ceiling in the porch and easily angled it into position. So far it seems to activate every time I approach it without a problem and hasn't been fooled by cats or foxes! Hopefully the batteries last as long as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I wanted!, 10 May 2012
I needed a light that would illuminate my front door and a key box some 3 feet to the right of the door, I run a bandb and guests unfamilier with the key box needed to access it at night. the light was easy to assemble and as a fairly unhandy 64 year old woman it was a doddle to fix to a cross beam by my front door. The light comes on immediately someone is in the vacinity and the width of the beam is sufficient to enable anyone to read small numbers easily. As I had had two estimates of over 300 to install an outside light in my porch I am more than satisfied with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 18 Nov 2010
Product works as mentioned. The light is extemely bright and beyond my expectation. I used cheap battery as I was not sure about the product. It works flawlessly

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Beams Shine, 7 Feb 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Beams MB360 Wireless LED Spotlight with Motion Sensor and Photocell - Weatherproof - Battery Operated - 140 Lumens, Dark Brown (DIY & Tools)
Another Mr Beams offered at a lightning deal. Guess by now I have bought most of their range!

These lights are made from durable materials offering great protection from the elements. Changing batteries is a breeze, just twist the front and the battery compartment is accessible. No tools needed. Yet they still retain weatherproofing due to a rubber O ring which is housed around the non removable (fixed to the wall) section.

Pros:
- Top notch build quality
- Deterrent for would be thieves. And I rate this as a key selling factor.
- Very bright light thanks to the new LED which is more powerful with no impact on battery life.
- Wireless. Can use rechargeable D cell batteries (which I highly recommend). The MB 360 requires 3 batteries.
- Battery life is exceptional. ( Yet you will want to place the unit in an easily accessible location). If mounted on a facade to light up doorway, some testing is required as to get the correct angle. You would want to avoid unnecessary activation caused by passers by.
- Truly weatherproof design.
- Very easy to install.
- Remains functional in the unlikely event of power outage.

Cons:
- Wireless design might not appeal to all.
- D cell batteries are expensive. Best solution is to buy rechargeable ones.
- Pricing (Yet quality always comes at a price)

Bottom line: I really like Mr Beams lights as they are really the best on the market. I highly recommend the MB360 for those looking for a wireless, effective solution.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not a fan of outdoor LED lights, 2 Nov 2013
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I purchased this item to supplement a PIR activated tungsten bulb which lights up the 4 steps leading down to our house. Unfortunately due to the location of the tungsten lamp the PIR does not activate quickly enough for the brisk and unaware visitor to our house and whilst we have not had anyone have an accident, my wife was sufficiently concerned for me to seek an additional lamp. I spotted this item on Amazon and decided that at the price it would probably be ideal, particularly as I did not wish to run additional cabling and as it is on a north facing wall there would be insufficient light for a solar panel powered light.

Out of the box, I inserted 3 D cell batteries, which adds considerably to the cost as they are not supplied and as Duracell only market their product in pairs or greater numbers I have one left over. I located the item under the eaves to keep it out of the weather, but because the sensor has to be above the lamp I had to locate it lower than I would have liked. The lamp can be altered in terms of pitch and can be rotated on its axis, however, the range of movement is not that good. I fixed mine to the wall using the screws and raw plugs supplied and waited for the dark.

In use, it is sensitive and I have to admit that it does exactly what I want it to. It is sufficiently sensitive to illuminate the steps a couple of paces ahead of when our tungsten light is activated and therefore I have negated the risk to the unaware. So why 3 stars and not 5 like some other reviewers? Firstly the light was incredibly bright when you look at it is nowhere near as effective in use and I would describe it as similar to bright moonlight; if this item illuminates 400 square feet, I must need to visit my optician! Secondly it required me to purchase 4 batteries and finally the range of movement is not that great and whilst it is easy to adjust it does not necessarily adjust to the exact place you want it to shine. When you combine that with the cost of the item and batteries, I feel that a good rating, rather than very good or excellent, is appropriate. It may have satisfied the need that I have for a battery powered supplementary light perfectly, but as a reviewer of the product, I think that I am being fair based upon total price, quality of the item and level of illumination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for these dark nights, 12 Nov 2013
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I wanted a wireless spotlight for the front of my house so it could illuminate a side door.
Had a quick look at the reviews for other similar ones (thank you reviewers, your reviews do work!) and thought I'd give it a go.

I have already got the double spotlight version of this in my back garden and am very happy with it.

In the box you will get. . .

- The spotlight with fixing bracket
- The required screws and plugs
- Instruction leaflet

This is a battery operated light taking 3 x D cell batteries that are 'not' supplied.

The spotlight body is made from a black matt finish plastic and feels very solidly built indeed. It has two LED lights on the front and one motion sensor. The front is well marked with the direction it twists off to enable the batteries to be fitted.

The body is attached to a tilt-able fixing bracket. The light is also weatherproofed and I can report after the hammering it has had lately, it is still working well!

Once the batteries are in, this spotlight weighs around 1kg. It's dead easy to fit, just three screws in the base and screw the light on into the position /angle you want. The light will only come on during darkness when the motion sensor is activated and stays on for 20 seconds before going off again. It does work well too!

According to the instruction leaflet if the lights 'stay' on and do not go off after 20 seconds or more the batteries need changing!

In use during darkness it comes on and illuminates my door area very well. It detects motion from around 20 ft away bringing the light on.

You cannot alter any of the parameters on this light. It's a simple plug and play item.

This is a cracking battery operated light, well made and no need to wire it up! Dead easy to fit yourself and works brilliantly in my opinion.

Recommended