5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it!
You never really know what you're getting when you get a free book on kindle but this was a pleasant surprise.
Another book based on fairies but has it's own unique take.
Published on 26 May 2011 by Sugarboo

2.0 out of 5 stars good read but ..............
Published on 29 Aug 2011 by lankylil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it!, 26 May 2011
This review is from: The Amulet: A Faedra Bennett Custodian Novel (The Custodian Novels Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Another book based on fairies but has it's own unique take.
Faedra tragically lost her mother when she was only six and has been brought up single handedly by her devoted father with her loyal dog Faen as her companion and friend. As she approaches her 18th birthday strange things begin happening to Faedra and when her birthday finally arrives her world is turned upside down as she learns the truth about her mother, her heritage and the mystery amulet.
Soon after the revelation, Faedra and Faen must inevitably save both the human and fairy realms and there are travels and battles along the way.
I enjoyed this book, I liked Faedra as a character and the romance wasn't the overpowering plot line that it sometimes can be in this type of novel. The only thing that I found distracting was the mixture of an English setting and characters and the frequent Americanisms. I understand that this is probably because the author was born in Uk and later moved to USA but the effect was slightly jarring at times.
Will definitely be getting hold of the second book and I would reccomend this one, especially whilst it's free on kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely modern faerie tale, 13 July 2011
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this book free for my kindle and didn't expect too much from it. It was a wonderful surprise to enjoy the story so much. A human girl discovers on her 18th birthday that she is of royal faerie blood and that she must fight the evil forces. The story is told in an appealing and endearing way, but is not written in a childish way. Altogether enchanting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous new writer, 24 Jun 2011
I tried this one because it was free and I went straight on and bought the second book too. I've read a lot of fairy books and this had some wonderful new ideas, some great characters that you can really invest in and a love story for those of us who like a little clean romance. A wonderful new author. I am looking forward to book 3.

2.0 out of 5 stars good read but .............., 29 Aug 2011
I have read a few books aimed at the young adult market recently but this is the first one that I was really conscious of it being aimed at that age group. This hit home sometimes when the heroine would say or do something that an 18 year old wouldn't, as it then reminded me that most of the book was filled with things that someone older would imagine a young person interested in. This was a good story that didn't quite reach it's full potential ~ it felt like it had promise but could have benefited from being tweaked a little bit more before being published. I found the story a little too factual for my personal taste and would have preferred something a little more emotive ~ I would like to have seen the characters better developed and more visual descriptions. I thought that the story line was good and had promise but it felt undeveloped, which is a shame. I haven't made up my mind as to whether I'll buy the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars New take on Faeries - welcome change, 23 Jun 2011
Natalie "murf1983" (CHORLEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this free on kindle - and I was so surprised how much I enjoyed it.
I loved that it was set in Norwich, which is a beautiful city. The only draw back was that it was hugely 'American-ised'. It did get a bit grating in places and how many times does the word 'gnarly' need to be written?
The book was well thought out, but the names were a bit strange, Faedra and Faen are a bit cheesy.
I loved the storyline, but felt that the love angle was a bit obvious.
Either way you meet some great characters and scenes and I loved this book. I bought the next one and read that very quickly aswell.
I have put a few negatives in this review - but they are just little niggles. The book is great escapism at its best.
I think this is aimed at the young adult market, but anyone can read it. Its alot better than twilight for older readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 30 July 2011
This book had me hooked from the start. I had to buy the second book straight away. Very well written, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Voice in Young Adult Fiction, 9 Jun 2011
The Amulet, by Alison Pensy, succeeds on several levels. Set in England and the world of Faerie, the book chronicles the adventures of Faedra, a young woman of mixed human and faerie blood, as she awakens to both her hereditary powers and responsibilities. As an adventure, the book certainly does not disappoint. There are chases, betrayals, loves and surprises aplenty.

Beyond storyline, the book also succeeds in blending the mythology of the Celtic Age with the wants and needs of current-day youth: friends, celebrations, dogs, horses, a much-loved father, and a fondly-remembered mother. Pensy wisely does not dodge the early dawnings of eros in her heroine, and we rediscover the joy and trust that define erotic love early in one's life.

Perhaps most importantly for girls of the 21st Century, The Amulet is an allegory of empowerment for our own daughters and sisters. At the end of the rainbow, today's young women can anticipate fulfillments greatly surpassing silk gowns, glass slippers, and a handsome prince or two. Pensy's heroine is every bit as likely as the hero to make a wise decision, face a danger, or deal with the inevitable set-back.

People of both sexes and any age will enjoy the story, but it will appeal most viscerally to girls between ages 9 and 15.

The book opens a three-book set. I predict Alison Pensy will become well-known and loved in the world of young adult books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, 28 Oct 2013
The writer laid everything out precisely at the beginning and then the intrigue started and did not stop until the end of the book. I couldn't wait to get to the second book to continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read whatever your age!, 22 Sep 2013
I read this book as i love a beautifully woven story which involves a supernatural theme, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters and story line build in such a way it pulls you in and before you know it you have spent far too long reading, with the thought of 'just another page'. I was disappointed to come to the end of it, but the thought of the following books meant that i was eager to read them (they are even better). I also gave it to my 9 year old daughter who has been just as enchanted by the story and can't wait to go to bed at night to read more. My congratulations to Alison Pensy and thank you for so many fabulous stolen hours reading your books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quick read, 30 July 2013
Felt the story line and characters were very good, easy to read to, felt got through both books quickly but think it was because I did enjoy them, they are well worth the read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›