5.0 out of 5 stars Very good little gadget
I thought I would do a little write up of this.

Bought one for my wife as she said shwe doesn't record enough stuff of the kids as our current camcorder (Sony DVD106) is too big. The JVC is phone size and out of the box was very impressed.

Published on 22 Feb 2010 by M. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much
Published on 28 Nov 2009 by J. S. Atherton

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much, 28 Nov 2009
J. S. Atherton "JSA" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
In optimum conditions this is a fine bit of kit, but it struggles in anything other than bright light. It may perhaps have been that I was using a class 4 SDHC card rather than a class 6, but my other camcorders work well with class 4. The playback of a moderately-lit interior scene was broken and wavy, and in a duller scene it refreshed at only about 4 frames a second, although the sound was surprisingly good (albeit mono only).

It is also, like all these pocket devices, amazingly light. I have a fairly steady hand but the results were a little shaky; and the combination of image stabilisation and the slow progressive recording means that anything other than John Ford style (succession of static shots) filming will result in a lot of disappointing footage.

To be fair, I don't think this is any worse than any of the others out there, but I would go for a discounted "proper" camcorder. The HD aspect (which can be changed if you dig deep enough into the proper manual downloadable form the internal memory) is pretty well irrelevant; reliable SD is more satisfactory than dodgy HD. And apart from special circumstances there is no substitute --if you must hand-hold it-- for a weight and size you can really get hold of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good little gadget, 22 Feb 2010
I thought I would do a little write up of this.

I left it on 1080p (to change video click on the left arrow twice quickly) and recorded away for a minute and transferred it to my PC. My PC couldn't play the video properly as it was not powerful enough, I believe this may be the case for most people so switched the video output to VGA. The quality on the VGA was great as long as you didn't zoom in too much so was impressed with that and actually was better than the Sony (Sony - transferring files from DVD to PC made the quality a lot worse).

Eventually, we want to use it for 1080p viewing so I am going to buy a Sumvision Cyclone media player which plugs into the LCD TV and can play virtually any file including the H264 that the JVC records in. We will them upload them straight onto the Media player and can watch them at our pleasure on the lounge tv. Alternatively, you can buy a 'minihdmi to HDMI' lead, you can then plug the player directly into your LCD tv and play it in 1080p.

I gave this 5 stars as the video quality is a lot better than I thought it would be and is very handy to have with you at all times. We already managed to get a 'Youve been Framed' moment that I hope they show as it will pay for it!!! The 1080p PC playback is down to my PC and not the JVC. I also found a review on camcorder.info that backs up my video quality claim as this is one of the best in this format............so far.

If you need a small camcorder for your pocket then this is one I recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, fast and handy, 7 Oct 2010
Very good value for money.
Don't expect professional video quality (indoors mainly), but it is definitely worth.
Comes with a nice macro feature.
Great for videoblogs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Picsio - a little let down, 20 Sep 2010
Small and compact - easy to carry about and ready for action .... Good!

Problems in sunlight with the viewfinder , difficult to see, and a slight parallax problem - if the subject is too close (OK for normal camcorder) what you see is not what gets filmed - heads can be chopped off.

Had to buy a 13A USB plug to keep charged.

Bought at good price on Amazon - would have hated it if I'd paid twice the amount at Jessops and Wilkinsons.

Ok for fun - not for serious filming

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 19 Jun 2011
S. Munn (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed.

First off, the plus-es:
* Light and compact, therefore extremely portable.
* Very, very easy to use
* A nice range of options for changing video quality and suchlike.
* Get it at the right time, and you get it for a very cheap price

Sadly though, the negatives:
* Light is all very well, but it is extremely sensitive to movement. Expect a large percentage of your shots on camera and film to be blurry or shaky.
* The main button for shutter/start or stop video is right in the middle of the device, which means you have to move a hand that should be helping stabilise it to take the picture/film.
* Unless you're filming/taking a picture on a lovely sunny day, forget it. There is no flash with the camera setting, so indoor shots are pretty much always terrible and outdoors relies very heavily on perfect light conditions.
* Camera quality in general. Read 8 megapixel on the description, but with a combination of the above negative points, the 5 year old 1.1 megapixel camera on my phone takes far, far superior pictures.

Setting it up on a small tripod helps the stability side of things, but sadly for something that shows so much promise, you actually get very little out of it. For pity's sake don't take it to record important events such as weddings, births and whatnot - spend a bit more and get quality. I will be.

That said, I'm keeping this one too. It's extremely portable and a very nice stopgap in that it weighs less than my old cameraphone and is far less bulky than my traditional Sony camcorder. Also, it looks fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio Levels, 11 Oct 2010
Great little unit the video playback is really good on the unit and when connected to my TV is exceptional. The major problem is the audio playback on the system which is absolute rubbish, however when plugged into the TV it is exceptional. Do I have a fault unit or is the norm. Would be interested to know if anybody else has this audio problem on the unit

1.0 out of 5 stars learn by your mistakes, 26 Oct 2011
the camera looks good although the camera came in black (not a big deal), but the camera does not take good pictures at all when it is not in bright light in fact there is no point using it unless it it a sunny day and we don't get many of those, not many features and the buttons are fiddley to use, could have got a better camera for the money spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it for the price!, 27 Dec 2010
I got this for myself for Christmas as I have always wanted a video camera but the price and "portability" put me off. This is great.. you can get it at a cheap price, its easy to use (but then it doesn't have any real settings like for indoor or outdoor etc), it fits in your bag or pocket, it is so light you wouldn't believe there's a battery in it.

It's a good first camcorder for small parties, nights out etc... not particularly good in darkish places but I use it for capturing the kids' funny moments and like learning to ride a bike etc. This isn't the sort of thing to use for a wedding or anything when you want a really good quality video and sound.

I've heard for best results you need to use a class 6 SDHC card, so make sure you get one of these otherwise you may end up with a couple of little skips in your video. I opted for a class 10 card which was marketed for HD recording and it made a huge difference to the class 4 I did have in there!

I did a bit of research on similar small video cameras and chose this one as it recorded in 1080p not just 720, it has a better zoom than others and it looks a lot nicer with its holographic sort of diamond case.

And after using this in front of family I had to tell them all about it and where I got it etc and now everybody else is getting one too, so it definitely does impress.

Basically, well worth the money in my opinion, just don't expect anything professional! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, not much really!, 25 Dec 2010
C. Ruddock (UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say about this product, not much really as I barely got to use it!

I brought this product as a great little piece of tech to record moments as I attend many events.

First item I get has been poorly made and has a spec of dust inside the camera on the lens, time for a new item. Didn't think much of it, these things happen. Second item I got worked, no dust we were good to go.

Took the camera with me to an event and took some ok footage, not brilliant even in daylight. I was inside and the footage was grainy and dark but again it's a little point and capture product so you get what you buy.

So the little camera takes a break in my drawer between events. I get it out charge it up and take it with me to my next event. It won't turn on! Tried charging it again just in case, the charge light comes on but I can't get the camera to turn on.

A complete waste of money, just wouldn't bother with this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7?, 22 Dec 2010
I purchased one of these, charged the battery, switched on and set the date, time etc.
Connected to my Windows 7 laptop but the internal software didn't work. Therefore unable to access the full usermanual and whatever else was included. Tried it on my Windows 7 main p.c. and exactly the same.
Connected to someone elses Windows XP machine and the software opened up fine!
It's too much of a coincidence for two computers to be faulty? As I don't have an XP computer this is no good for me. I haven't used the camera so can't comment on that.
Have I been sold an old unit, the basic instruction book only listed Win XP and Vista?
Returned for refund and will purchase another manufacturer's similar camcorder. Possibly Kodak.