5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer Hiking Boots
Published 11 months ago by Mike Haines

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor durability
Published on 16 Oct 2010 by richardd

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer Hiking Boots, 18 Nov 2013
I am on my third or 4 pair of these excellent boots - I think that says it all. I am a tall and heavy guy weighing in at 17 stone and I find them so comfortable and supportive. They get a hard life in my hands. I broke my left femur in 2007 in a motor accident, and have pins and plates in my leg, - I do hobble about a bit at times and these boots give me the support I need to carry on with life as normal.

I lead quite an outdoor type of life as a biker attending perhaps 6 or 7 bike rallies a year, plus dog walking, political canvassing, general walking, gardening, I travelled to Australia in mine, and wore them when hiking around Rajistan. I pretty much live in them all year round, they are even moderatly smart enough to wear to the pub. I find that a pair lasts me between 2 or 3 years - by that time the sole is pretty worn flat in places, - The laces are shot, they dont have spilts anywhere, but they do look quite tatty and faded, and the waterproofing isnt as good as it was although there is some left - but they have been very well used and dont owe me anything. Probably I do not look after the boots as I should. I have noted that the build seems to be getting lighter and lighter with each pair, I hope the quality isnt dropping.

The plus points are - Light, very comfortable, supportive, long lasting, - I wear them on the Motorcycle in Summer while of course realising they are not as protective as proper bike boots, very waterproof particularly when new even in attrocious conditions or on wet grass.

Thr minus points - Expensive (But you do get what you pay for), I am not 100% certain about the grip on wet rock surfaces or man hole covers, (not often i'm on wet rock but it's there), the material does get dull and tatty after a while and they seem to munch shoe laces which are difficult to replace like for like.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT WALKING BOOTS, 6 Aug 2013
Well now received these boots today and as i am a shoe repairer i can tell a good pair of boots instantly . These BERGHAUS EXPLORER TREK HIKING BOOTS are well made double stiched upper , good qaulity suede upper/ mesh material plus a really good flexible cleated outsole.Inside the boot the lining is covered entirely with no gaps or seems to cause rubbing to the toe area ,a well padded tongue which is also seemless , supported padded ankle area . These really are well constructed boots , and i can understand reluctance to purchase anything else. I personally wear a size 9 so i actually purchased the 9.5, which fit perfectly when laced up fully so to provide full support to the ankle when walking and prevent toe slippage inside the boot. Comfort wise yes i will totally agree with other reveiwers that they are comfortable and sturdy and would therefore give confidence when used .Altogether a good qaulity pair of boots for a damn good price.Buy these with full confidence RECOMMENDED .

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer Trek Tech Walking Boots - These boots were made for walking, 11 April 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I think I can say that these are the best walking boots I have ever owned.

Lighter than normal all leather boots due to the construction of a leather skeleton with material panels, they still have all the strength and support of a traditional boot. They are flexible in the right places. I was a little concerned about waterproofness, but these babies seem to be totally impervious.

I am usually a size 11, and found an 11 in these to be a perfect fit. What amazed me was that these boots did not require me to `break them in', as I have always had to do with other walking boots. I did a 10 mile walk in them the day after buying them, and they were supremely comfortable. I gave them a quick nikwaxing before use, and they have proven to be completely waterproof. I used them in conjunction with Trespass gaiters for a 22 mile hike the other day, through seemingly endless deep and very muddy puddles that regularly came half way up my shin, and at the end of the walk my feet were bone dry. Amazingly good. The lightweight build of the boot makes them perfect for such a walk, as at the end of 20 odd muddy miles my feet normally feel very heavy through both tiredness and the accumulation of mud on the boot, but no such heavy footed feeling that day.

An exceptionally good pair of hard wearing yet lightweight walking boots. One of the best buys I have made for a long time. Highly recommended, 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor durability, 16 Oct 2010
I bought a pair of these - through Amazon - in the summer of 2009. Through the summer they were great - comfortable, good grip and waterproof. However, within 10 months of daily use walking the dogs over gentle farmland and tracks, both boots had cracked on the inner edge about the level of the second lace hole (where there is a seam)and were letting in water - even when walking through dewy grass. I am unhappy about the quality as I don't believe that a pair of Berghaus boots at £100 should wear out in under a year of moderate use.

I note that the latest version has no seam in that place now - so perhaps they have upgraded the design.

Mine do not act as a good advert for Berghaus and I will think hard before buying them again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but short lived, 7 Nov 2009
Berghaus explorer trek bought at the end of April this year (2009) comfortable straight from the box however showed signs of wear very quickly in October one boot started to let in water and felt as if the sole was cracked.They were returned to Berghaus who expressed concern over the excess wear on the sole but agreed to replace the boots.I am light on my footwear my last boots (Moac) are still going strong after 15 plus years,my feeling is that Berghaus have sacrificed long life for comfort..but if you are happy with a short life from your boots then these are OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 14 Sep 2010
Had to wait a while to review as i wanted to put some milage into the boots first.
Not a lot to say apart from VERY COMFORTABLE and supportive with lots of grip....my last pair of boots didn't have much grip and walking on wet rock was very exciting but for all the wrong reasons.
No issues with water resistance either...after a 2hr walk in the rain my feet were the only dry bit!!
Hope these last as long as my boots they replace....they only lasted 19years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best boots I've ever owned, 6 Jan 2013
Serq (Sark, Channel Islands.) - See all my reviews
Having had this brand and model of boot for a year and a half now, they have been the most consistently comfortable supportive and waterproof boot I've owned thus far. I wear these boots every day on an island with no cars, so I'm either cycling or walking everywhere. The first pair I purchased, which are my main day-to-day boots are now coming to the end of a very grueling life; they owe me nothing. The only reason for a second pair is for when I have to occasionally visit head office so need a nice clean smart pair. So now I am more than happy to buy a third pair ready for when the first ones finally give up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Boots for Arctic Conditions, 26 Dec 2012
We live in Finland and I bought these boots for my husband. The winter temperatures here are between -10 and -35, always with lots of snow. My husband has had these boots for two weeks now and they are brilliant. They keep his feet warm and dry, and amazingly look good even though they are subjected to wet conditions constantly.

Excellent value for money and great delivery time.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Boots at Great Price, 29 July 2011
Rick Plum (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
Just finished a Lake District holiday that has offered up a whole heap of challenges to these boots, and I have to say they came through with flying colours. Very comfortable, great ankle support and cushioning to make walking over sharp and rugged rocks comfortable. My feet have been through mud, puddles and even rivers and they have stayed dry completely. Highly recommend these excellent boots.

4.0 out of 5 stars For comfort, 11 Mar 2011
Ben Griam "Ben Griam" (Sutherland, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is about the fifth or sixth pair I've had, so I must like them. They are very comfortable and light and dry out very quickly if soaked, unlike trad leather boots. They don't last nearly as long, though, but for general day-hikes I think these are very good.